New job offer, rest question

my brother has been offered a job.
he will go down to plymouth and get on the santander boat.(27 hours).
he will come back on the caen-portsmouth boat. then he will take 24 hours off at home.

The thing is, I asked a similar question a while ago, and i think some of you said that the crossing couldn’t count towards weekly rest, but i could be wrong. anyway it’s 700 euros a week take home, and the bloke needs to know if he’ll do the job. cheers.

You can spend weekly rest in the truck so I cant see why it cant be spent on ferry. I often have 24 on boats to Greece and Ireland-France and VOSA have never picked me up on it.

I was wondering why as well as the regs say that a DAILY rest can be taken with certain provisions.

I cannot see anything that says a WEEKLY (reduced to 24) cannot be taken.

limeyphil:
he will come back on the caen-portsmouth boat. then he will take 24 hours off at home.

The thing is, I asked a similar question a while ago, and i think some of you said that the crossing couldn’t count towards weekly rest, but i could be wrong. anyway it’s 700 euros a week take home, and the bloke needs to know if he’ll do the job. cheers.

He will be ok with the french as long as he he doesnt use the movement onto the boat as part of the 24 off, and if moving onto the boat during a daily rest then you must have at least 11 off and not the reduced 9 hrs as that has led to a few friends seeing big fines over the years in euroland and uk

27 hours on boat is weekend break of 45 less 18 owed so when back he needs to take 45 plus 18 doesn’t he?
i have used the santander as weekend break before and police never have problems as long as make up difference as and when needed
maybe if arrive at port early enough can book off then use one movement on ferry and that makes break longer?
coffeeholic will post an answer which will no doubt be very informative

welshboyinspain:
27 hours on boat is weekend break of 45 less 18 owed so when back he needs to take 45 plus 18 doesn’t he?
i have used the santander as weekend break before and police never have problems as long as make up difference as and when needed
maybe if arrive at port early enough can book off then use one movement on ferry and that makes break longer?
coffeeholic will post an answer which will no doubt be very informative

No. it will be 2X 24 in one week. well actually a 27 on the boat and a 24 at home.

limeyphil:
it will be 2X 24 in one week. well actually a 27 on the boat and a 24 at home.

article 8
6. In any two consecutive weeks a driver shall take at least:
– two regular weekly rest periods, or
– one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly
rest period of at least 24 hours. However, the reduction
shall be compensated by an equivalent period of rest
taken en bloc before the end of the third week following
the week in question.
A weekly rest period shall start no later than at the end of six
24-hour periods from the end of the previous weekly rest
period.

Unless he has also had a full weekly within two consecutive weeks as well as 2 reduced weekly to conform to the above then he will be illegal.

Might help if you put exactly what he intends to do - for example;
Full weekly
Work for 3 days
reduced 24 weekly
work for 4 days
reduced 24 weekly
work for 4 days
full weekly

So are you saying that at some stage he will have to take a full 45? and not two 24’s every week?

limeyphil:
So are you saying that at some stage he will have to take a full 45? and not two 24’s every week?

In ANY 2 consecutive weeks - YES

A week is from sunday midnight to sunday midnight so 2 consecutive weeks is sunday midnight at the start of one week to sunday midnight at the end of the second week.

Write down a 3 week period so you can choose ANY 2 weeks - the first and second OR the second and third - the first and second must contain a full 45 AND the second and third must contain a full 45.

FULL - reduced - FULL - reduced - FULL - reduced … is ok as long as the shortfall is paid back en bloc (in one go) either with a daily (full or reduced) or a weekly (full or reduced)

I still say that putting on here exactly what he intends to do is the best way so the GURUs can point out where any errors will be :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

friday, run to boat.
27 hours off on the boat.
1 day run to madrid.
2 days to caen.
1 day to tip/load
24 off at home.
then start again.

limeyphil:

To comply with the EU regulations you should have a full 45 hour weekly rest period at least every second week, also any reduced weekly rest will need to be paid back by the end of the third week following the week in which the reduced weekly rest was taken.

So you can’t legally have only two 24-hour weekly rests every week.

Article 8.6-REGULATION (EC) No 561/2006
:
In any two consecutive weeks a driver shall take at least:
the week in question.

limeyphil:
friday, run to boat.
1 day run to madrid.
2 days to caen.
1 day to tip/load
24 off at home.
then start again.

Illegal if done every week :wink:

700 euros take home a week.You having a laugh.Thats a porky pie.Who earns 1000 euro a week,the prime minister.!

toby1234abc:
700 euros take home a week.You having a laugh.Thats a porky pie.Who earns 1000 euro a week,the prime minister.!

probably adding up all his wages, NA allowance and fuel money.

toby1234abc:

would you work for less? :open_mouth:

It’s only 100 euro’s per day.

welshboyinspain:

It wouldn’t, you can’t interrupt weekly rest like you can daily. His rest will start when he boards in this case.

limeyphil:
friday, run to boat.
1 day run to madrid.
2 days to caen.
1 day to tip/load
24 off at home.
then start again.

Can’t do it every week. Best legal way i can see to do it would be.

Week A

Run to boat.
27 hours off on the boat. 18 hours rest to be compensated for.
1 day run to Madrid.
2 days to Caen.
1 day to tip/load
27 off at home. 9 hour daily rest period plus 18 hours compensation due.

Week B

Run to boat.
27 hours off on the boat. This rest doesn’t require compensating as he will have another rest period later in the week and simply prevents him working 9 days without a weekly rest.
1 day run to Madrid.
2 days to Caen.
1 day to tip/load
45 off at home.

Then continue this way repeating Week A then Week B, checking that he doesn’t end up in a situation where the weekly rest don’t fall into the correct weeks due to altered start time.

ROG:

limeyphil:
it will be 2X 24 in one week. well actually a 27 on the boat and a 24 at home.

article 8
6. In any two consecutive weeks a driver shall take at least:
the week in question.
A weekly rest period shall start no later than at the end of six
24-hour periods from the end of the previous weekly rest
period.

Unless he has also had a full weekly within two consecutive weeks as well as 2 reduced weekly to conform to the above then he will be illegal.

Might help if you put exactly what he intends to do - for example;
Full weekly
Work for 3 days
reduced 24 weekly
work for 4 days
reduced 24 weekly
work for 4 days
full weekly

Whaaaat?? That,s clinched it for me. Like I said in a post on Friday, ( Until Mrs.Mix put her oar in and edited it), :wink: :wink: Thank ZB I.m retired. I could not get past the second line of that lot. Apart from that, things must be getting serious out there if Limeyphil has started bunging in serious posts. :unamused: :unamused:

limeyphil:

Illegal.

Cannot take weekly rest on a boat. No provisions for compensation for reduction of weekly rest period.

Conor:
Cannot take weekly rest on a boat. No provisions for compensation for reduction of weekly rest period.

where does it say you can’t take a weekly rest on a boat?
above 24hours is a reduced weekly rest which must be compensated for but doesn’t say where it must or must not be taken

welshboyinspain:

Conor:

where does it say you can’t take a weekly rest on a boat?

Depends if a ship/boat is classed as a vehicle or not. If it is then you can’t, if it isn’t no reason why you can’t take the rest on board. Drive truck on and you are then free to dispose of your time as you wish which is about the only requirement for a rest period. No real difference being on the ferry or in a truck stop away from home and thousands of drivers take their weekly rest in truck stops and motorway service areas each week. I’ve never heard of anybody being done for this, and I’ve done it myself on more than a few occasions without problem.

I’m sure if it wasn’t allowed the Basque police would be queuing up outside Bilbao and Santander shortly after the ferries dock. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: