New job offer and advice apreciated

As some of you may know I work on general haulage , Rigids.

I have been offerd the chance to go into breakdown work, less hours and regualr starts , collecting broken down trucks and commercial vehicles .
I was wondering if any one has experience in this line of work and any of the pittfalls ,

Thanks in advance.

Danny

regular start times handling broken down vehicles :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
do these vehicles know when you are working so they know when to breakdown, most people on this type of work seem to be on 24hr callout
good luck with tho

its reguloar start time but not regular finish time , 12 hour shifts minimum , no call out.

the problem with this work is the finish times, maybe be regular start times but the phones goes half hour from finish and its off to the other side of the country, or thats how it used to be. dont know if its still the same cos I think breakdown trucks now have to adhere to tacho laws I believe.

hi, all breakdown recovery trucks are under tacho rules, since april 2007, i worked for aa recovery, every day is different, going to accidents is hard the first time especially when ya see child seats in the back, good luck with it any way. :slight_smile:

How many hours a day do you do now, if 12 hours a day is an improvement?

I used to do vehicle recovery years ago and the one thing you should avoid is making plans for when you finish work.

I usually do between 13 and 15 hours as we work up to max if poss at the minute and this is 4 days on 2 days off , 12 hour shifts.

Im keen for a change but dont want to jump out of the pan and into the fire. :unamused:

blueroom1:
I usually do between 13 and 15 hours as we work up to max if poss at the minute and this is 4 days on 2 days off , 12 hour shifts.

Im keen for a change but dont want to jump out of the pan and into the fire. :unamused:

I did it for 5yrs & thoroughly loved every minute. You will know within 2hrs whether it’s for you or not, it’s definately one of those jobs you will either hate or love with just as much passion.

I was lucky, I eventually fell into a Co’ that only serviced a Police contract & was therefore very well run, I only left because it had a change in management & has now become as bent as the rest of 99% of the recovery industry.

Is this job the one I’ve seen advertised at £400pw for 4 on 2 off LGV C in the Midlands?

If it is then run a mile & don’t even touch it with someone else’s bargepole. They’re 110% bent & will put massive amounts of pressure on you to become as bent as they are.

P.M me with any relevant questions if you still feel it’s for you.

cheers Chas , PM sent

I did it for two years and to be honest it was a superb job. Everyday was different and interesting/challenging. Could be anything from a simple car job to a truck upside down 60feet below the road. Accident work was always the best, ok its some poor soles misfortune but you were there to ignore that and recover the mess. It was being on call 24/7 for a week on week off that gradualy wore me down till I caved in and found something different but far less interesting.

grahamzx6r:
hi, all breakdown recovery trucks are under tacho rules, since april 2007, i worked for aa recovery, every day is different, going to accidents is hard the first time especially when ya see child seats in the back, good luck with it any way. :slight_smile:

No disrespect intended Graham, but working for the AA is a world apart from working for “other” recovery companies. Yes, tacho rules apply, but only if your run is gonna take you more than 100km (as the crow flies) from your operating base. I speak from current experience here that it’s possible to clock up 700km a day without once putting a card in. Obviously I work for one of the (not) better ones and sail very close to the wind (legally), but am rewarded very well financially for this.

sent the moaster Pm , dont think mine are working, still in outbox !

That’s what I’m doing at the moment and it is interesting work. Different people, situations and places every day and I get a good variety of local and distance work. However if the bosses are crooks then don’t even bother. It’s true you will struggle to finish on time, there’ll be pressure on you to work overtime on your ‘days off’ aswell. The hours are not regulated unless you are goin further than 100km from your base, and even then the tacho disc/card is simply removed when you get back and its straight back to work. It wouldn’t matter so much if you were part of a good team and you all mucked in and worked hard with each other but if the boss is a crook and is taking the zb then you will just begin to resent the hours and tell em to shove it. Thats the way I’m going anyway! Now if I could just find more money for less hours…

As youre Leicester would it be a local company, initials AJ??

If so i know a bit about them, not all good but not all bad either.

Mick.

Pray tell Mick ? :wink:

Danny, emailed ya, good luck with it mate,

Mick.