New Job Diary

So yesterday was the big day. My first day driving class 1 since passing my test in November, in fact my first LGV job of any description. I managed to get in with a supermarket direct very local to my house, a nice 20 minute walk.
My start time was 1030 so got there nice and early and went to the transport office. Was issued with a complete uniform, they even provide safety boots so all good.
I was then introduced to another driver who I would be training with for 2 weeks. Nice bloke who’s been with the company for years and enjoys it. Our load was all loaded for us so after a quick vehicle check we were ready to go. The first drop was in Kingsbury, North London. Traffic was ok and only took about an hour and a half to get there. I was quite pleased when my pilot managed to make a bit of a balls up with the reverse. Granted it was a tiny side street and very very busy with a blindside reverse but it just shows no matter how long you’ve been driving reversing can always be difficult so I won’t worry about it as much when it’s my turn.
It was self tip but with an electric pump truck it was easy and we were all done in an hour or so. Quick 30 minute break then drove back to Chelmsford. Traffic was bloody horrendous though!
Our second load was all loaded for us when we got back so another 30 minute break then we set off for Maidstone. Traffic was fine both ways this time and another quick tip. We were back in Chelmsford by about 11. All in all a very enjoyable day. 13 hours done and back again this morning. Shift pattern is 5 on 3 off so perfect for me. Hopefully it will get better and better.

Sounds like you’ve got a decent job and, most importantly, a good mentor.

All the very best with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Glad your first day was a good experience. It always helps when it goes smoothly even when shadowing an experienced driver.

Sounds like your very happy ,well done keep up the good work…