New Job - advice please

Hi guys

I’ve been offered my first class one job since passing my test 6 years ago (been stuck on coaches lol).

The job is nights, doing fridge work from the Glasgow area, down to Asda at Washington, drop trailer, solo over to Fowler and Welch and back to Scotland at one of the rdc’s at Livingston.

Anyone got any advice on fridge work, or advice on the locations mentioned. Are the bays easy to get on to?

Thanks in advance

Don’t know of the depots but I can help with the fridge, always check the temps correspond with the paperwork never take a load that has been set at the wrong temps or is not reading close to the set temp, always make sure the trailer has plenty of fuel and that the fridge is running.

The trailers have 2 modes of running, continuous or start stop, most firms use start stop the display panel will show any faults always check with the office if there are any problems, you will soon pick it up the trailers are simple enough to use and adjust, you need to keep an eye on the temps thats all, I will stop once on a long run to check its ok you will hear them start up from the cab, nothing to worry about.

I went to Asda Washington and F/W a couple or three years ago, neither was particularly easy to find especially in the dark, all the roundabouts looked the same. From what I recall Asda was a turning to the right and F/W was one to the left. I know I missed the F/W road at least three times. IIRC and from looking at the AtoZ they are off the A195 Northumberland way ASDA possibly Pattinson rd■■? From the North they were off the A1M at the junction immediately after the services.

At Asda I recall there was plenty of room. Fowlers was absolute chaos with vehicles everywhere and some rather unhelpful people about, so allow plenty of time in there if you are near to needing a break.

You will find that Fowler’s fridge trailers generally need fuel so make sure you know how to get it when you pick up the paperwork, otherwise you’ll have another long wait at the traffic office window finding out. I always have a look at the trailers in the nearby bays to see how much room there is between the yellow wheel guide hoops and the trailer wheels as an aid to lining up in the middle of the dock. Never be afraid to get out and look. I can’t recall whether you hang up the vehicle keys outside the bay or hand them in to the goods in desk, so ask.

Cheers guys. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

a friend of mine did this job. so I think I know who the job is with. its a good little number. no pressure and nice well kept trucks

That’s what I like to hear :slight_smile: really looking forward to it although nervous too

A couple of shifts and you’ll have it sorted. Biggest pain in the arse is the A1 overnight closures. Get used to going through the centre of Newcastle on the A167 from the A69. Its actually not a bad road, urban DC for a lot of it and turns into a short stretch of motorway through the city centre although its as twisty as hell so you’re not going to be getting any meaningful speed up.

been a while since I have been up but the first asda off the 1231 is the ambient site the freshfrozen is a couple of roundabouts further up.

fowler welsh again used to be quite tight and they used to park the trailer to go out on the road at times.

Both easy if coming down from Glasgow if at night turn right from A69 onto A1 the 2nd slip road ( Jedburgh / Airport ) turn right there follow road down then you will hit road works ( Cowgate roundabout used to be ) bear left onto A167 follow that all way across bridge depends what you driving hight wise as you may need to be in outside lane on bridge as there is now a restriction for inside

Across bridge you can stay in inside over the top through Low Fell then back onto A1 where Angel is 1st slip off there follow for A1231 straight along there you will pass F&W on right hand side next to ASDA George take slip off ( also Nissan if you go past Vantexc on left you have gone too far but just go round roundabout 1st slip off turn left ) if you do take slip off before Vantec turn right next roundabout 1st right for F&W tell security 1st time they will point you in right direction

For ASDA chilled go down that same road over a few roundabouts sign for James Steel Park turn in there 1st right if you pass it again down to next roundabout ( or last 1 can turn left /right or double back

Not hard sound lot worse than it is fortunately there are plenty roundabouts & sign post so easy to spin round

On other side of F&W is Ferguson transport btw there is 4 ASDA on that est

might see me in there at some point

Or you can go in middle lane once over bridge turn right at roundabout stay on that road until you reach next roundabout ( Heworth metro station on right ) straight over you will pass Gateshead Stadium houses on each side 3663 at set of lights straight on ( 4-5 mile in total ) at next roundabout with will also Tyne Tunnel to left you need to go right take 2nd slip road rich at roundabout 1st slip turn right you will see Vantec on right Ferguson transport on left

Cheers guys can’t wait to get started. Just hope I can manage the reversing easy enough

happyhebridean436:
Cheers guys can’t wait to get started. Just hope I can manage the reversing easy enough

If in Fowlers it not too bad but they have a couple shunters who may help out if not busy & you ask them nice or there is always a few people about you can ask to help

ASDA are ok as well

If you can go down A1 then turn off for Washington service ( stay in right hand lane it is same slip road off ) onto main road go across the 1st 2 roundabouts turn right at 3rd 1st right 1st right stop at ASDA security then come out of there left at roundabout head up that road ( not sure him many roundabouts there are ) for F&W if you miss the 1 you want go to next not far which is the 1231 road spin round come back don’t worry you won’t be the 1st driver to do it :blush: :blush:

Do you work at Ferguson Animal?

happyhebridean436:
Do you work at Ferguson Animal?

No why :question:

Just when you said “might see me in there”

happyhebridean436:
Just when you said “might see me in there”

Might see me in Fowler as new job I will be in there yard sometimes ( don’t work for them though ) have a plain white Volvo

I see, will keep an eye out mate :slight_smile: