New(ish) Driver

Hello Truck Net

Well, I suppose an introduction is needed. I passed my C+E in late July this year. I got my first “Job” 3 weeks ago in Class 1. I say “Job”, as it’s part time on a Monday only (at the moment), as I’m still doing my main job in retail management i’ve done for the last 14 years.

At 41, I’m late to the game, but so far it’s been great. I have done 3 days up to now, the last 2 out on my own. I’ve read a lot on the forum, and I know from some of the threads not everyone is a happy bunny, but for me, it’s a dream come true. I love it.

I would also like to say thanks to TEF Transport for giving me a chance, and to a few (very patient) people there, who have taken some time to show me the basics. (you know who you are :laughing: )

A pic of my rig from last Monday :wink:

Andrew

IMAG0655.jpg

If you are doing every Monday EU regs driving and then say tue to sat in the other job you are in hot water with the regs

Are you officially recording the retail job on separate analogue cards or digi printout paper - 1 record for each day as that is other work for the regs

Hi Rog

No, It never crossed my mind to record the retail hours. I’m currently working Tuesday to Friday from 9 to 5, with an hour for lunch. I’ve not exceeded 6.5 hours driving time on a Monday, excluding the 45 break after 4.5, so don’t see a problem with this? But if I’m wrong please let me know. :slight_smile:

yorkshirepud:
Hi Rog

No, It never crossed my mind to record the retail hours. I’m currently working Tuesday to Friday from 9 to 5, with an hour for lunch. I’ve not exceeded 6.5 hours driving time on a Monday, excluding the 45 break after 4.5, so don’t see a problem with this? But if I’m wrong please let me know. :slight_smile:

No probs with the EU regs weekly rests as you have a regular weekly rest every weekend - that means you can do one day every other weekend as well as monday if you wish

The regs do legally require you to officially record all other work done in the same fixed week you come under the regs

Using a separate daily record on analogue cards or digi printout paper is the easiest way with each record containing your name date start and finish time - as each of those records gets to 29 calendar days old they can be binned

Right. I can calm down now then!!!

I know the company probably won’t have any analogue charts as the fleet is too new. So, can I basically buy myself a roll of digipaper that never goes into a digitac, and just hand write on it?

yorkshirepud:
So, can I basically buy myself a roll of digipaper that never goes into a digitac, and just hand write on it?

Yes

I am in the same situation, only I waited far to long in a dull job. After 20+ years working in a warehouse, I have now started doing weekends on agency as class 1.

For the hours through the week and then the other Saturday’s Driving, I have been keeping list in a diary. Is this sufficient or do I need a more formal document?

Andrewajp:
I am in the same situation, only I waited far to long in a dull job. After 20+ years working in a warehouse, I have now started doing weekends on agency as class 1.

For the hours through the week and then the other Saturday’s Driving, I have been keeping list in a diary. Is this sufficient or do I need a more formal document?

The regs state this -

Article 4
(e) ‘other work’ means all activities which are defined as working time in Article 3(a) of Directive 2002/15/EC except ‘driving’, including any work for the same or another employer, within or outside of the transport sector;

Article 6
5. A driver shall record as other work any time spent as described in Article 4(e) as well as any time spent driving a vehicle used for commercial operations not falling within the scope of this Regulation, and shall record any periods of availability, as defined in Article 15(3)(c) of Regulation (EEC) No 3821/85, since his last daily or weekly rest period. This record shall be entered either manually on a record sheet, a printout or by use of manual input facilities on recording equipment.

Well. That’s it, job done. Thankfully my first “Driving” day was the 10/11/14, so I went out and got a daily diary, and have handwritten the bogroll for every none driving day since, even Sat/Sun. As my “other” job is so routine, the timings are easy to do.

I’m amazed a diary wouldn’t be enough on it’s own, but rather than argue the point at the roadside, I might as well get in the habit now. :unamused: