New iPad (or iPad 3)

Is it worth the extra mullah over an iPad 2? And do you need 4G on it to be able to use it as satnav?

I was just about to buy an iPad 2 wifi only (using my phone as a 3G wifi spot if needed) for nights out as it’s less ■■■■■■■■■■ than a lappy. Also I hear 4G won’t be available in UK for several years anyway by which time the iPad3 will be obsolete.

Not too bothered about the satnav capability as I have a basic stand alone satnav and find using a paper map (or google maps) works better anyway.

Or are there any other non apple tablets you would recommend? Just want something for movies, music, gaming, email and web etc. What about reading ebooks? Easy on the eyes or better off reading off real paper? Likesay, got a 5 year old laptop, but it’s a bit ■■■■■■■■■■ to lug about for nights out.

I have an Ipad 1…one of the best devices i have ever bought,works off wifi and 3G…its not a laptop though,so dont see it as a replacement as you cant plug external devices into it,but for cruising the Web,mapping,watching TV,listening to music,playing games etc I cant really fault it…probably the best technology device that i have ever bought and it goes with me pretty much everywhere…very very rarely use my laptop now unless its to backup or update the iPad. :wink:

Have the ipad2 and won’t upgrade to version 3 because apart from the screen there is nothing it can’t do. I have the WiFi / 3G version and I wouldn’t be without it for TV, Sat Nav, FB, Movies, Internet Access, a great piece of kit also use google maps with street view on it, very hand and has saved me going down some awkward spots.

Whats a laptop haven’t used one except for updating the ipad software :smiley:

I would save yourself a few quid and buy an ipad 2, i upgraded from the ipad 1 to the ipad 3 and theres a massive difference, but my missus has got the ipad 2 and to be honest they are very similar.

One thing i would do tho is if like me you are going to download a lot of films apps or music onto it i would recommend the 32gb or even the 64gb version.

I’ve got an iPad 2 and have seen a friend’s iPad 3 and to be blunt, it would be a massive waste of money for me as the technology hasn’t moved on that far, and the 4G technology won’t be available here for a while if ever. The high res screen is great, but not so much of an advance over the iPad 2 unless you’re into high quality photography.

Save your money and find a top end iPad 2.

Whats the Price of iPad2 and iPad3?

iPad 2 wifi does not have gps so you can’t use it for sat nav, although if you buy the 3G version it has gps. I would imagine the ipad3 is the same?
Other than that the ipad2 wifi model is superb, I’m on mine now! :grimacing:

I’m sure i read it in the paper that orange are very close to bringing out 4g. It might even be before the end of the year?

Regards SB

The iPad wifi only will pull gps data from the iPhone if synced up as a wifi hotspot

I am about to invest in an IPad with 3G and wifi, going to get a contract that gives me 15g of data a
Month so that I can use SKYPE with my 3G so that I can see the kids when I am on the road.
Arethere many wifi hotspots around? Are they expensive? Is it going to be a waste of time getting the 15 gig if I can use wifi hotspots?

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

blogs.which.co.uk/technology/tab … 310VRJ_WEX

I just buoyed an iPad 2! Call me a cynic, but have I just purchased a gert big mobile phone without the “phone” capability.

Sent from my new ipad2 without the auto spell facility commonly found on a pc

Bikemonkey:
I have an Ipad 1…one of the best devices i have ever bought,works off wifi and 3G…its not a laptop though,so dont see it as a replacement as you cant plug external devices into it,but for cruising the Web,mapping,watching TV,listening to music,playing games etc I cant really fault it…probably the best technology device that i have ever bought and it goes with me pretty much everywhere…very very rarely use my laptop now unless its to backup or update the iPad. :wink:

I wholeheartedly echo these sentiments

ive had the ipad 1 and the ipad 2 but as last week i got rid of my ipad 2 and gone back to a laptop …dont get me wrong the ipad is good …but for me i prefer a laptop

Ipad2 for the win!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iPad 3 isn’t as good as it was expected to be, hope iPad 4 will overcome it. So, my vote goes to iPad 2.

The last I heard was when the 4g network is finally released in the uk it won’t be compatable with the iPad because of the frequencies it operates on but I got the iPad 3 4g because of the screen and gps I have had it a few months and it hasn’t seen a sim card yet but tomtom and navigon truck and copilot truck work fine

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … le-UK.html

Flash player problem with I pad 2,also printer problem do you research but have say a great piece of kit.they only work with hp air printers but someone told me there’s an app for that.