New highway code issue?

The new HC say to wait if you see someone waiting to cross the road at a junction you are turning into BUT how would you know if say they are looking on their phone etc but near the kerb edge :question:

OK if they are already on the road but are we now to be mind readers :question:

Does the HC say you mustn’t lean on your horn for 30 secs while they decide?

Also, do they have to be right on the junction, or could they be 50 feet or even 50 yards away? At 50 feet a HGV could still be correcting road position from a junction, at 50 yards they would be building up speed but car drivers could already theoretically be on top of them (metaphorically speaking)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think it is madness. Anyone able to confirm if “should” is legally enforceable?

TruckerGuy:
I think it is madness. Anyone able to confirm if “should” is legally enforceable?

No, I think the ones that have support in law use Must.

Look at rule 97
You MUST have a licence
You SHOULD plan your route.

There’s obviously no law that says you can’t follow the road where your whim takes you.

stu675:

TruckerGuy:

No, I think the ones that have support in law use Must.

Look at rule 97
You MUST have a licence
You SHOULD plan your route.

There’s obviously no law that says you can’t follow the road where your whim takes you.

That’s what I thought but wanted to be sure! Thanks!

This is what the BlackBeltBarrister has to say about the new highway code rules and I agree with just about everything he says about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=zU9tBBQNq_0

The one good thing about the new rules is that there are likely to be thousands of new road rage videos on Youtube to keep us entertained :smiley:

So we can now ignore stop look listen and expect cars to give way to us now?

I mean seriously I get that vulnerable road users need protecting some times but what ever happened to looking after yourself and keeping yourself safe.

We are going to have younger generations who grow up believing that crossing roads safely is the drivers responsibility and not theirs.

It just seems crazy as self preservation should be an instinct, and it seems that is rapidly disappearing these days.

I’m sure many of us have had close calls at some point where we haven’t seen or heard a vehicle coming but most of us get through our lives without getting run over.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

On a side note made me laugh the other day when a manager was asking us drivers if we felt safe at work in the yard.

I mean really, we are about as a safe as you can be with a one way system and up to 3 tugs and lots of trucks bobbing about and a 10mph limit, with dedicated walkways and a pedestrian crossing that vehicles have to give way to pedestrians. And with not enough parking spaces for the units and trailers we have, so they are put in all sorts of places where there isn’t an actual parking area for them.

Where does the line get drawn these days on what is or isn’t safe?

Yet if safety in the yard is so important like safety on the roads why are nee buildings not designed to take into account safety or interaction with pedestrians and vehicles?

Designs of buildings should keep pedestrians and vehicles on separate dedicated places and not mix them if you want to be ultra safe. Or at least minimise the amount of mixing of those.

One things that always made me smile was a raised walkway above all the dock loading doors at a certain site I used to go to. Walking around on the floor where MHE was operating was a no go, yet walking around in a yard where large veheicles are moving constantly and the walkway is just some yellow painted lines. Often right in front of the trucks or half way across in the middle of the yard.

No matter the rules and regulations you can’t stop every accident from happening as people are not perfect and people sometimes make stupid mistakes.

simcor:

It doesn’t actually say anything of the kind. “you should give way” is what it says, It doesn’t say MUST, and it continues to say lots about taking responsibility. So if you want to trust your life to what someone else should do for you be my guest :unamused:

I mean seriously I get that vulnerable road users need protecting some times but what ever happened to looking after yourself and keeping yourself safe.

We are going to have younger generations who grow up believing that crossing roads safely is the drivers responsibility and not theirs.

It just seems crazy as self preservation should be an instinct, and it seems that is rapidly disappearing these days.

I’m sure many of us have had close calls at some point where we haven’t seen or heard a vehicle coming but most of us get through our lives without getting run over.

“The hierarchy does
not remove the need for everyone to behave responsibly”

Shared space is a concept to improve safety by increasing the interaction of pedestrians and vehicles.

stu675:

simcor:

It doesn’t actually say anything of the kind. “you should give way” is what it says, It doesn’t say MUST, and it continues to say lots about taking responsibility. So if you want to trust your life to what someone else should do for you be my guest :unamused:

“The hierarchy does

Shared space is a concept to improve safety by increasing the interaction of pedestrians and vehicles.

I was being flippant!!

Some of the situations are interesting to watch

simcor:

Reading that first bit I thought you were referring to the warnings at open level crossings :laughing: ! Which got me thinking…does the hierarchy mean cars have priority over trains? Anyone want to test that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ?

simcor:

stu675:

simcor:

“The hierarchy does

I was being flippant!!

Thanks for wasting my time.

Wheel Nut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scVbKfKEwoE

Some of the situations are interesting to watch

To be totally honest just after seeing the antics on the road today (and one serious crash involving an idiot, parked cars and a lamppost - may they see the inside of a jail cell) these changes are laughable, and quite frankly, dangerous.

People are unwilling to give way when they absolutely should (because they’re selfish unprintable more unprintable).

I could rant for the next several hours. I’m still livid. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Thankfully no-one crashed into me though.