New hgv driver wanting to move to canada

how much driving experience will i need before i can get a long haul job in canada i have my class 2 and 1 courses booked for january and a job driving class 1 set up once have passed in the uk.

we want to move to canada as we love the look of it and the wife is a canadian qualified ski instructor.

so would like to know where is best for a young family near slopes and good for me driving
any help would be great thankyou. :unamused:

schools and property prices also a big factor so would consider most places in canada

did hear from a mate who moved there you have to sit the hgv test for canada don’t know if its true,but if you do you be wasting money sitting it here

curly:
did hear from a mate who moved there you have to sit the hgv test for canada don’t know if its true,but if you do you be wasting money sitting it here

It is true - Truck licences are non exchangeable in USA or Canada - you have to do theirs

i understand i would need to do the canadian licence but looked on the web site about emigrating and the points gained should take me over the 50 required with 1 yrs experience :bulb: .
so can you move over with no experience and get a job ?

There is little chance you would be able to find a job over here with no experience, I came over with 1 year of Class 1 experience but my situation is very different to pretty much anyone else who has made the move over here. My father is Canadian which meant I was able to get Canadian citizenship (which I have had since i was 13). I moved over here in May this year, after the long term job posting i was doing for my local agency ended. Things were looking bad in the UK at that point on the jobs front, so I decided i may aswell look for a job in Canada instead. Even with 1 year experience, I was getting nowhere. So I took a job driving a 7.5 tonner, to bide my time till a better job opportunity came up. Im now working for FedEx, driving an 18 tonner in the week, and Class 1 trunking run every other saturday. I was only able to do this for one reason, being a Canadian, other immigrants dont have that luxury, and have to go the PnP route.

As for emigrating, if your coming over as a truck driver you dont need to go the route of having enough points etc. How it works is that you find a company that will take you on, they will put you through your Class 1 here and will sort out the legal side of things like getting PR (permanent residency).

Just a quick thought, you say you have a wife and baby. You do know that trucking over here can have you away from home for weeks at a time, which is why they are looking for foreign drivers, as the locals want a 9 till 5 job home every night.

As for areas that have good skiing, Calgary is only about 1 hour drive from Banff, which is a big ski resort, and Edmonton is about 2 to 3 hours drive from Jasper, which is also a ski resort. Im sure there are countless places in BC that have good skiing too, but ive not seen any trucking companies recruiting based in BC. There is probably some good skiing in the east of the country, but ive never been that way, so couldnt comment.

Depending on which province / territory you decide to come to, you may have to resit your car test aswell, as not all of them have an agreement with the UK to do a straight swap. You will find that if you do get your licence swapped, it will be for a car licence only. You will lose you Truck licence. That really hurt when i did that, as i had paid for my UK licence myself.

Before you decide to commit to coming over, try to notch up at least 2 years of UK Class 1 experience, if you can wait to get 5 years there will be no problem whatsoever finding a job. Search around for trucking companies that recruit overseas, email them then call them a few days after. Try to decide which part of the country you want to live in, research the Summer / Winter weather. Here in Alberta it gets down to -40c in winter and +30c in summer. After you have decided where you want to live, come over and have a recce, make sure its absolutely what you were expecting. Emigrating isnt something to be taken lightly, its a big life changing event.

Good luck with your training :slight_smile:

thankyou bigjon i will finish my training over in the uk as i have all the training and a class1 job arranged for when i pass friend of the family with a decent sized international trucking company the time away from family shouldnt be a problem as i was previously in the royal navy so used to time away from home i will wait at least 1 year then start contacting companies until the point where someone wants to employ me but we have already decided to have a holiday to do some ground work this summer and look at all the states available to relocate to and then try and focus on that area but thankyou very much for the reply it just means we have more time to save up and the little one is only 2 months old so as long as we can get it all sorted before he starts school it will be fine im only 34 so think time is on my side wife is younger so no problems their hopefully will be able to save the money we need in next 2 to five years so we can buy a property when we get out their straight out.

thankyou again

dan

Came to Canada 4 years ago with 14 years experience of driving trucks,it’s very different.Take a look on Youtube,running "the Coquihalla"in winter,which lasts for six months of the year.If you want my advice,it would be to get as much experience as you possibly can at driving anything and everything before coming out.
You’re right to come a recce trip first,atleast a couple of weeks,longer if you can.Canada varies greatly from one province to another,they all have pros and cons.If you come on the points system it can be a long process,a number of years.However the PNP (provincial nominee program)can be a lot faster,but then you have to work for your sponsoring employer for however long it takes you to obtain residency.there are some situations where you might be able to change jobs but that’s a different story.Just bare in mind ,there are reasons why companies are recruiting foreign drivers,it’s because Canadians don’t want to work for them !!But if you can take the crap being thrown at you for 18 months it can speed up immigration,after all it’s not that long.
Make absolutely sure that Canada is what you want,there will be many hurdles put in your way and it requires great determination to succeed,but if it all works out then it’s THE place to live and raise a family.