New Haulage Co Advise!

Hi All,

I am thinking of setting up a new haulage company (general haulage, preferably long distance). I am aiming to be based on the outskirts of London (I’m assuming demand is higher in the south east and more work available).

I was wondering whether anyone knows what the standard rates charged for long distance hauling are? Let’s say for hauling a digger for 100 miles?

I am not planning on driving myself, rather I’d run the logistics side and would probably aim to start with two second hand tractor units (and probably two second hand flatbeds/one trailer and one flatbed).

Finding info out about rates per mile/per tonne etc is quite difficult (not much out there on the internet, unless I subscribe to the RHA website etc for a rather large fee). Does anyone have rough info? M J May’s website says the haulage industry is picking up again (as I’d expect exiting a recession (which is probably going to pick up more next year)). Does anyone share this view/disagree?

What sort of start up capital is required in total? Looking on the net for second hand tractor units i see some for £3500-5000. How much capital in total would one need at first?

Many thanks for any help! Much appreciated!

An indication of what drivers get paid (minimum, and reasonable) would be useful to know too if possible. Is it done hourly, or by miles, or salary?

Cheers!

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

summer holidays again is it for the kids or a member who is very bored

i shall let robk fill rest in as its about only thing he any good at abusing numptys and i can see he will have fun here

Capital required - A Lot.

Do you have an Operators CPC or someone who is willing to be named on your O Licence?

I very much doubt anyone will tell you what they get paid per mile.

But work out your overheads (fuel being the biggest) and that’s gotta be a starting point.

Very few people pay cash on delivery so you need to be able to cover your overheads for a couple of months.

Oh and to satisfy your operators licence you would need 16 grand, for the 2 units you want, just sitting in your account doing nothing.

I am sure one of the more seasoned ODs will be along soon to fill in the gaps (as what I’ve outlined is only basics).

Assuming this isn’t a schoolboy windup - best of luck.

Yawn :unamused:

So soon after the last thread too :unamused:

Marks out of ten for originality… ZERO :unamused:

Just stop right there. Seriously & in good faith just stop.

Was a bloke on here bit ago looking to move a ‘fleet’ of telehandlers,could be good customer to start with? :grimacing:

They’ll be knocking your door down to drive a £3500 motor.

kindle530:
They’ll be knocking your door down to drive a £3500 motor.

Probably not the best option for someone based on the outskirts of London anyway, I reckon you’d be paying ten grand more for something LEZ compliant.

lynchy:
Was a bloke on here bit ago looking to move a ‘fleet’ of telehandlers,could be good customer to start with? :grimacing:

I thought it was just the one handler but was about to expand to thirty :sunglasses: