New H&S B/S.

Delivered to Rudridge, Gravesend this morning (part of the Travis’ty Perkins Group) & they now require us to put a cover over our steering wheel before they can unload us.

I offered him my keys as well but he declined them.
What a load of BS !
As if I’m going to drive off whilst they unload me !!!

I asked the Forkie if they get Caned &/or Detention, if they do something wrong as they treat us all like Little Children, but then I remembered, they stopped Caning about 25 years ago, so they’ll just get detention instead, as long as their Mummy’s & Daddy’s are informed.

Presumably they’ve had incidents where drivers have moved the vehicle (or at least started to do so) before loading/unloading was completed?

Personally I’d be happier with this sort of physical “reminder” than I would be with handing my keys in. At least you can still open/close windows, turn radio on etc.

Do you also have to have a dirty towel in the footwell.

I can confirm caning is still alive and well in certain circles, or even on your circle if you pay enough.

As if I’m going to drive off whilst they unload me

doesn’t take many brain cells to realise that somebody probably did.
Surely better than dropping trailer, affixing locks, placing chocks, handing keys in, being confined to a waiting room etc etc.
seems like a sensible compromise to me.

Surprised they had a cover big enough to fit a MAN steering wheel :slight_smile:

It’s just Travis Perkins way :unamused: Deliver into any TP or Wickes etc and you are on a building site :open_mouth: - seriously. It’s the way they do it. Just comply with all their silly rules and regs, (hard hat, stop sign in front of the unit, nowhere near their highly trained forkies as anything could happen, bubble wrap at the ready) and they’re happy.

Madness. One place I deliver bulk potatoes to you have to have hard hat, safety goggles, ear defenders safety boots, gloves, long trousers hi viz and then they make you reverse into a shed where you can’t see the banks man because it’s dark inside. Ridiculous

mazzer:
Surprised they had a cover big enough to fit a MAN steering wheel :slight_smile:

Lol.

del949:

As if I’m going to drive off whilst they unload me

doesn’t take many brain cells to realise that somebody probably did.
Surely better than dropping trailer, affixing locks, placing chocks, handing keys in, being confined to a waiting room etc etc.
seems like a sensible compromise to me.

Yea, someone did, Numpty !

But the point I’m making is-they treat us all as the lowest common denominator & I just feel like Mucking them about & lowering myself to their way of thinking.
I do everything by the book when I’m on one of their sites, takes twice as long & I love it when builders are getting agitated waiting for me to park or move out of their way.

Dipper_Dave:
Do you also have to have a dirty towel in the footwell.

Yep, saves getting it all messed up & it’s useful if I spill diesel when filling up. [emoji6]

That ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ would not be going anywhere near my steering wheel, for my health and safety. Not having someone else’s scum transferred to my hands by one of those thank you very much

Unless they write on it in Klingon I will not understand … :grimacing: :grimacing:

Sure this was posted before?

Somebody came up with that idea and a even bigger fool (at the company in question) fell for it and bought them! :blush:

Last week i was picking a load up from a place which insisted on a chin ■■■■■■■■ the hard hat. I stupidly banged by head on the open locker door and thanks to the chin strap holding my h/hat tightly to my head, my head whipped back and i ended up with a stiff neck all day! Wouldn’t have happened if it wasn’t for the F-ing chin strap :imp:

Stanley Knife:
It’s just Travis Perkins way :unamused: Deliver into any TP or Wickes etc and you are on a building site :open_mouth: - seriously. It’s the way they do it. Just comply with all their silly rules and regs, (hard hat, stop sign in front of the unit, nowhere near their highly trained forkies as anything could happen, bubble wrap at the ready) and they’re happy.

how ironic then? :grimacing: pavel, jochen und Gertrude turn up in a 4 X 4 with a little trailer on, jump out in Tshirt, shorts and flip flops and load up paving slabs and bricks and many other heavy items! H & S BS GOES RIGHT OUT OF THE WINDOW THEN! :unamused: :open_mouth:

Fatboy slimslow:

Stanley Knife:

how ironic then? :grimacing: pavel, jochen und Gertrude turn up in a 4 X 4 with a little trailer on, jump out in Tshirt, shorts and flip flops and load up paving slabs and bricks and many other heavy items! H & S BS GOES RIGHT OUT OF THE WINDOW THEN! :unamused: :open_mouth:

Yep, biggest ■■■■ take with builders merchants in my mind. If you’re a customer, you can do what the ■■■■ you like. If you’re a supplier, you need to bow down to us. Bloody joke. Surely you have more interest in keeping the customers out of harms way

try doing british gypsum where they have taken the time to ‘hi-viz’ handrails and you get stopped if you don’t hold them :unamused:

I have just finished working for a company who’s largest customer is the travis Perkins group. I got very fed up with their stupid H&S rules for suppliers but nothing for their customers. The yard lads used to say oh well we can’t say anything to customers. They had no reply for my point that if a customer fell off a van and died on their premises the H&S people wouldn’t turn up and say oh it was a customer? Well that’s alright then and then disappear.

The system at Coke Wakefield is best, wheel lock on the bay then a big stop sign plonked in front of your cab by the forklift. Then, keep your keys and stay in the cab. When your done, forkie moves the stop sign.

Like Roymondo said though, the steering wheel cover might seem daft but anything that lets you stay in the cab is fine by me.