New from Norfolk.. Want a career change!

Hi guys,

I’m sure you see posts like this all the time, but I’m just wanting a little advice before I make the leap of faith I suppose.

A bit about me…
I’m 23, live between Kings Lynn & Norwich in Norfolk.
I am diploma qualified in agricultural/land based engineering, have a passion for all things diesel & have owned way too many cars (over 40!), I’ve built track cars, been the family mechanic for the past few years so I know my way around a bonnet.

I currently work 9-6 in an office for an insurance company, it’s mundane, not what I want to do. Since I was a child I had always seen Tears recovery trucks around & said I want one… So I’m now sat with the Medical forms etc to get the ball rolling for my Class C.

Does anyone have any tips on getting into recovery driving? I’m not all that interested in haulage/working out of the country but am prepared to take what comes my way.

The Mrs is backing me & says once I have the license I’ve got it for life, whereas I’m nervous, don’t want to waste £1500 odd getting the C & the same again if I then go for C + E if I then struggle to get work.

Local to me there is Tears which would be my top choice for locality, but also companies such as Anglia Recovery & the like.

Any pointers would be appreciated, I just don’t want to be stuck in an office any more. I have experience of 3.5t Lutons & beaver tails, I know this is nothing compared to the full size, but I can picture myself in a tilt & slide!

Regards,

Jordan

There is always work but it most likely won’t be in recovery jobs. They normally employ direct and I would imagine you would need experience but don’t let that stop you. Give them a call and ask them what they require from drivers etc.

Thanks Radar, I’ve actually sent an email to Tears explaining my situation & asking their requirements… Just waiting on a reply.

I’m fair confident it’s the way I want to go, I’m more interested in rigid than artics in all honesty, I live near Middleton Aggregates which is another option if it comes up, that sort of thing appeals too.

I do get the impression that newbie work tends to come in the form of getting your hours up by doing agency work - is that right?

Regards, Jordan

Agency work has been the way forward for the last few years. But the situation is changing rapidly and there’s much more permanent work around now. Whether that applies to recovery I have no idea. You’ve done right by contacting them. If I were you, I’d be down there to see them.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter, it seems there are a number of companies in Norfolk so hopefully I’ll be lucky - all I can do is try!

Regards,
Jordan

Go for it you are still young & yep you should have it for life

As Peter has said there is a lot more work out there now although not sure about recovery work but from what I understand it can be long hr not always easy but you may like to gain your CE & ADR may be of some use to you if in the recovery line as IIRC you will then be able to move these as well as dont think you can move them if you dont have the licence ( if I am wrong someone will be along to give you the correct info )

There are a few members on here who have done or do this

If I was you I would be going to visit the recovery company speak with them face to face

animal:
Go for it you are still young & yep you should have it for life

As Peter has said there is a lot more work out there now although not sure about recovery work but from what I understand it can be long hr not always easy but you may like to gain your CE & ADR may be of some use to you if in the recovery line as IIRC you will then be able to move these as well as dont think you can move them if you dont have the licence ( if I am wrong someone will be along to give you the correct info )

There are a few members on here who have done or do this

If I was you I would be going to visit the recovery company speak with them face to face

Hi Animal,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It’s obviously all very new to me & I’m reluctant to make a wrong decision, but I am fairly certain it’s the path I want to take.

I’ve always had an interest in the recovery side of things & I think that would definitely be the way I would want to go (I appreciate at first it’s a case of taking any work that comes my way)

I am more interested in driving rigid than artics in all honesty, although I’d certainly be interested in getting the license so I am not restricted in the future, same with a HIAB qualification etc.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, I have just seen that Peter had an open day in Peterborough in Sept, wish I had been a bit earlier so I could have made it!

Regards,

Jordan

You could always visit a training school & ask them some advice about the training & before you part with any money