New enquiry from a profoundly deaf person

I thought best to ask in here as most trainers check this out.

Anyway, I have a W&D training school in Scotland and haven’t been going long. I have just had an enquiry from a profoundly deaf person about training upto class 1 level. I am a bit unsure where to start with communication.

I read on another post that examiners have a specific set of instructions to use, is there anywhere I could download these instructions, so I can learn them before we do an assessment drive.

Also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have trained a few profoundly deaf candidates. The instructions used by the examiner are common sense and nothing special. For teaching I used many more diagrams and pictures than I would normally do. Also much more demonstration. IME, profoundly deaf folks can lip read well and this is a great help. I have, on one occasion, paid for the services of a person to sign for me for the initial training on CAT C where there is a great deal of talking to do.

My experience has been on C, CE and motorbikes so I’ve had a bit of fun over the years! I would always start by doubling the expected training duration as it’s highly unlikely you’d be able to succeed in the normal time span due to the amount of art work and demonstration required.

You will need an enormous amount of patience and nerves of super strong steel. But it can be done, and the satisfaction when the candidate passes is indescribable.

All the best with it; if I can help further feel free to contact me. (or I’m happy to work a couple of weeks north of the border)

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Anyway, I have a W&D training school in Scotland and haven’t been going long. I have just had an enquiry from a profoundly deaf person about training upto class 1 level. I am a bit unsure where to start with communication.

I read on another post that examiners have a specific set of instructions to use, is there anywhere I could download these instructions, so I can learn them before we do an assessment drive.

Also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]
you could always try this as a last resort??

megaphone.png

I was thinking 1 to 1 training would be more suitable, I didn’t think more than that would be necessary but we will see when he applies for his provisional and comes for an assessment.

I had thought of making up some cards with a direction arrow etc but thought that maybe the examiners would use something specific but I guess not. I have a test out on Tuesday, so will speak to the examiner then, he’s usually a pretty chirpy chap.

As far as patience goes, I seem to have a lot more than I expected when I first started training to be an ADI. I held an open day today, my second this year, still unsure why I let myself do things like that.

I will bear that offer in mind.

@dieseldog999 might come in handy for others too

Examiners will use clear hand signals eg pointing right and left, pointing towards the kerb to indicate a pull up at the side of the road etc etc. There’s no magical code of signals and it doesn’t seem to be a problem. Coupled with lip reading, this works effectively.

You will need to spend more time at the side of road than normal, you’ll go home totally knackered and it’s all worth it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

To reduce the training time in a lorry, it might be worth while for the profoundly deaf trainee to practice with a car instructor first using a small van with no rear window. It can take a while to get used to using the side mirrors without an interior mirror. And when driving the small van, maybe pretending you are driving a big truck. Such as using the middle lane when turning right at a roundabout.

carlston49:
To reduce the training time in a lorry, it might be worth while for the profoundly deaf trainee to practice with a car instructor first using a small van with no rear window. It can take a while to get used to using the side mirrors without an interior mirror. And when driving the small van, maybe pretending you are driving a big truck. Such as using the middle lane when turning right at a roundabout.

We have a Navara pickup for B+E training, so that could be used.