New EC rules on working conditions may make truck driving mo

Well see don’t hold your breath.
theloadstar.co.uk/new-ec-rules- … ttractive/

Full title won’t fit

and improved enforcement of driving regulations.

I’m sure that will have them lining up to do the job…

Driving will become more popular when it has sociable hours - and you are not treated like dirt by employers and customers for simply doing your job. Until that day it’s the preserve of the unfortunates.

Won’t affect us in the UK. This will benefit Johnny Flipflop driving for Werberers or whoever working almost exclusively in western EU nations like UK, Germany, France etc but still being paid Bulgarian money.

Conor:
Won’t affect us in the UK. This will benefit Johnny Flipflop driving for Werberers or whoever working almost exclusively in western EU nations like UK, Germany, France etc but still being paid Bulgarian money.

But if “Johnny flip flop” will get better pay and conditions, won’t that benefit our transport rates, since we’re currently in competition with them?
And notice too, no increase in cabotage.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Conor:

But if “Johnny flip flop” will get better pay and conditions, won’t that benefit our transport rates, since we’re currently in competition with them?

As we’ll be out of the EU before this actually comes into force, I doubt it will affect the position in this country very much at all.

Transport operators will, however, face further cost increases from new rules on drivers’ working conditions, with the stipulations that drivers will no longer be allowed to sleep in cabs and will instead have to use hotels, and that firms must organise work schedules so drivers can return home at least once a month

This sentence makes me think it’s all ■■■■■■■■. Either that or there’s going to be a lot of motels needed with huge car parks!

Franglais:

This won’t because currently on March 29th we’ll no longer be in the EU so either then or in the coming years if there’s a transition period they’ll no longer be able to operate as they do in the UK. Given how slowly the EU moves over anything we’ll be long out by the time it comes into force.

Roymondo:

Franglais:

Conor:

As we’ll be out of the EU before this actually comes into force, I doubt it will affect the position in this country very much at all.

Hummm.
My own crystal ball is a little cloudy. I can’t see past this afternoon, let alone next Tuesday, and certainly not as far as March!

Transport operators will, however, face further cost increases from new rules on drivers’ working conditions, with the stipulations that drivers will no longer be allowed to sleep in cabs and will instead have to use hotels, and that firms must organise work schedules so drivers can return home at least once a month

That’s the rock and roll boys buggered then.

The irony being that a lot of these poor working conditions came about because of the EU, if it hadn’t allowed European haulage to descend into a free for all to appease the EE nations and big business then the situation would not have arisen where EE drivers are treated no better than slaves

Mr Hofer -another one with no practical experience & no common sense.

How are drivers going to be able to park near a travel lodge etc?

The article has been poorly written or has lost something in translation, reading the original EU documentation there is no requirement for drivers to use hotels, expect for a complete weekly rest away from home.

Where a driver chooses to do this, daily rest periods and reduced weekly rest
periods away from base may be taken in a vehicle, as long as it has suitable
sleeping facilities for each driver and the vehicle is stationary.
Regular weekly rest periods and any weekly rest of more than 45 hours taken in
compensation for previous reduced weekly rest shall not be taken in a vehicle.
[…]
Any costs for accommodation outside the vehicle shall be covered by the
employer.

There seems to be a provision to take 2 reduced weekly rests consecutively, but then the next weekly rest must compensate fully for those reduced weekly rests and the driver must be able to return home after a 3 weeks, if they don’t take 2 consecutive reduced weekly rest then they’re can be away for 4 consecutive weeks.

A transport undertaking shall organise the work of drivers in such a way that the
drivers are able to […] return to one of the operational centres in the Member
State of the employer’s establishment or to the drivers’ place of residence within
each period of four consecutive weeks, in order to spend at least one regular
weekly rest period or a weekly rest of more than 45 hours taken in compensation
for reduced weekly rest. However, in case that a driver has taken two reduced
weekly rest periods consecutively without return, the transport undertaking shall
organise the work of the driver in such a way that the driver is able to return
already at the end of the third week.

It seems that ferry train movements can be included in Weekly rests periods (or eekly as its been written) as well as Daily Rest periods.

By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver accompanies a vehicle which is
transported by ferry or train, and takes a regular daily rest period or eekly rest period,
that period may be interrupted not more than twice by other activities not exceeding one
hour in total. During that regular daily rest or weekly rest period the driver shall have
access to a bunk or couchette at their disposal.";

It also seems they’ll be a change in cabotage, that means any vehicle involved in cabotage work cannot undertake caboatage again for another 5 days, seems to be to stop those hauliers taking a trailer over the border and returning straight away to carry on doing cabotage work.

There is regulations about letterbox companies, which means you’ll need a proper established company with premises in the country with you register your trucks.

In order fight abusive practices based on so-called “letterbox companies”, it is necessary to
ensure that road transport operators established in a Member State have a real and continuous
presence in that Member State and conduct their business from there. Therefore, and in light
of experience, it is necessary to clarify the provisions regarding the existence of an effective
and stable establishment and to allow Member States to introduce certain additional
requirements reinforcing the necessary link between the transport operator and the Member
State of establishment according to specific needs, for instance in respect of operational
infrastructure such as easily accesible offices and necessary parking spaces.

And they seem to be bringing those who run vehicle between 2.5 to 3.5t on international work into some Community licence framework which will mean they need a Community Licence to operate and have a certain level of financial standing etc.

All I’ve found so far.

Those that have been following the social dumping and driver exploitation debates will be aware that this sort of change was going to be inevitable.
The French tried in a way with the introduction of all people working in France being paid the French minimum wage .
The theory of what they are trying to do is basically a good idea and goes some way to creating a level playing field but would only be effective if properly enforced . Bringing 2.5t upwards into the scope of regulations has been on the cards for quite some time .
Wether we are in or out of Europe in the future the regs will certainly have some impact on us , especially if they make them compulsory for all using the roads regardless of country of origin .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mo… Jos used to be 4 a penny. I think drivers are still ten a penny in some remote areas of third-world Britain…

sammym:

and improved enforcement of driving regulations.

I’m sure that will have them lining up to do the job…

Driving will become more popular when it has sociable hours - and you are not treated like dirt by employers and customers for simply doing your job. Until that day it’s the preserve of the unfortunates.

Driving will become more popular - when wages rise sharply but ONLY for those drivers with low insurance premiums in their private lives…

Boy Racers that want to drive the big tonka toy - need not apply.

Ziltoid:

This sentence makes me think it’s all [zb]. Either that or there’s going to be a lot of motels needed with huge car parks!

Their going back in time, it used to be a law that drivers couldn’t sleep in a wagon. There were stories of MOT inspectors waking drivers up if they found them in a lorry. It never happened to me but i heard it from another lorry driver so it must be true :wink:

remy:

Ziltoid:

This sentence makes me think it’s all [zb]. Either that or there’s going to be a lot of motels needed with huge car parks!

Their going back in time, it used to be a law that drivers couldn’t sleep in a wagon. There were stories of MOT inspectors waking drivers up if they found them in a lorry. It never happened to me but i heard it from another lorry driver so it must be true :wink:

As far as I can see from the original EU document, the only mention of not being allowed to sleep in the cab is during a full weekly rest period.

There will probably be an opt out on this along the lines of night time working and max hours .

joe royal:
There will probably be an opt out on this along the lines of night time working and max hours .

And who will be head of the queue to opt out I wonder?