New Easy way to upload photos

Due to an issue with outside photo sharing websites (such as Image Shack/Photobucket) stripping copyright meta data from images we have implemented the file attachment system on the forums as the prefered way to show images on here (You can also of course use your own gallery hosted on here as well)

Note: In most forums images over 600 pixels wide will be cropped by the template, please try to keep image sizes down to that level if possible

How to post an attachment

first as normal click on new topic or reply to topic

Untitled Capture-01.jpg
Enter topic title and any text you want at the start.
The click on the upload attachment tab

Untitled Capture-02.jpg
Click on the browse tab, a grey box will open, find the image you want to upload from your PC

Untitled Capture-03.jpg
When you have found it, click on it , then click on the Open button

Untitled Capture-04.jpg
the grey box should close and the address on your PC where the photo is will appear (as shown next to the star) … click “Add the file”

Untitled Capture-06.jpg
If you only adding one photo and do not want to add any more text you can now go to step 7… if you want to add more photo’s it makes it easier to edit if you click on the add inline button,

Untitled Capture-011.jpg
as this will show up in your message like this

[attachment=2]Untitled Capture-011.jpg[/attachment]

so you can add the text between any photo’s etc like this

When your ready to publish hit the submit button

Untitled Capture-07.jpg
And you will hopefully have something like this

front400.jpg

Handy tips

1. From Rob K
    Use the “Add Inline” button and if your photo is slightly oversize it will display at maximum posssible with and allow a click through to the large version, not doing so will me it will show in a box that will require scrolling to view.
  2. From Rikki-UK
    If using Robs suggestion, add in the comment line " Click through for larger image"

Thanks for that,its quite easy cheers.

Photo test.

(removed your large image Rob to test the thumbnail… if you want to upload it again and see if it thumbnails by all means please go ahead- Rikki)

Random text.

facepalm1.jpg

Rikki, that works. But… while I can obviously understand the pixel width limit due to people on netbooks etc, why have you got a vertical pixel limit in place? Makes no sense as one would have to scroll down a thread anyway. On my favourite facepalm photo (and also one of yours in your example post) there is a small vertical scroll bar but yet both the pics are more than acceptable in pixel height. Can that be adjusted?

No it cant unfortunatly Rob, all settings are 0/0 will ask the tech bods to take a look when they get time.

thee only possible way round it as far as I can see is to set up thumbnails and the larger images will show small in the post but can be clicked through, the danger in that is some one is guarenteed to satrt to upload 5 meg images :unamused:

Rikki-UK:
No it cant unfortunatly Rob, all settings are 0/0 will ask the tech bods to take a look when they get time.

thee only possible way round it as far as I can see is to set up thumbnails and the larger images will show small in the post but can be clicked through, the danger in that is some one is guarenteed to satrt to upload 5 meg images :unamused:

Thumbs are not a good idea for forum posts and just serve to ■■■■ people off. You don’t want to have to click every pic to get to a larger version and that is how it currently stands with the album pic thingy.

What is to stop people uploading 5 meg images at present? Or more to the point, what - if any - image size restrictions are there in place?

I think I have it so anything over 800 pixels or 750kbs show as a 600 pixel thumb…

so the page wont spread but the larger image is avaiable as a click through, at the moment there isnt as far as I can see a limit on the file sizes that can be uploaded , however if it is abused by huge uneeded image files we will set a maxumum per image ( prob about 250kbs more than adequate for a forum image)

Hi Folks,
Easy Easy.

Cheers Malc

test

Rikki I think you’ve cracked it. Works perfectly now. Just need to remember to press the ‘in-line’ button after selecting your pic(s) otherwise it puts them in one of those “attachment” boxes like further up the thread. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help Rob… Is appreciated… and see I do listen to ya occassionaly Clicky here :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Rikki-UK:
Thanks for the help Rob… Is appreciated… and see I do listen to ya occassionaly Clicky here :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Yah. I think you remove all the other posts now and post it as a sticky in the PDF and the Pics forum, BUT I think your description is a bit clumsy and needs tidying up first. Them red stars all over the place don’t really help much imho - some arrows or circling would be better. I could knock something proper together if you like, if you could review and make as sticky afterwards. It “works” as it is for people like you and me that know what we’re doing, but I reckon the oldies would find it a bit ■■■■■■■■■■ and confusing. :confused: Let me know.

Sure Rob, the last lot of instructions were done by a member, and were far better than mine. I threw this together today quickly after getting the OK to use the application.

Rikki-UK:
Sure Rob, the last lot of instructions were done by a member, and were far better than mine. I threw this together today quickly after getting the OK to use the application.

OK I’ll see what I can knock up. Can I call it “How to upload photos for Dummies” ? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Rob K:

Rikki-UK:

OK I’ll see what I can knock up. Can I call it “How to upload photos for Dummies” ? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

You could… but being me and cos I can I would probably edit it to… The easy way to show photos on this forum… :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: will probably add a couiple things to it after you have written it… but will make it clear they are my comments…

If you create it I will put it as a global locked post, desticky this one and put it into the feedback forum for comments…

Rob K:
It “works” as it is for people like you and me that know what we’re doing, but I reckon the oldies would find it a bit ■■■■■■■■■■ and confusing. :confused:

:laughing: :laughing: OY!! I resemble that remark. :frowning:

But seriously Rob, once I’ve read it through a few times, I reckon I’ll be ok- so thanks for your efforts. :smiley:

Rob K:
Can I call it “How to upload photos for Dummies” ?

If you do, I’ll know that it’s something I should read. :grimacing:

What is ‘Copyright Meta Data’ ■■? and what does ‘stripping it’ mean ■■?
Thanks.

Testing, Testing…

Nice!! :wink:

testing photo printing
GILMARTIN OF ACCRINGTON.jpg
Well that seemed to work OK.