New Driver

Hi all, New to this forum also new to truck driving. I’m about to sit my Class 1 and 2. I am 29 years old. Once I have passed my test all I really want to do is tramping and European work, For example be away for weeks if not months at a time. What im looking for is some advice is this possible or what’s the best route to take to get there. I have drove Stock trucks in new Zealand that’s the only experience I have. Not worried about money as long as I have enough to live when away in truck.

Richard Long is looking for drivers :wink:

davescotland1:
Not worried about money as long as I have enough to live when away in truck.

■■■■■■■ perfect. New drivers coming in not being bothered about pay? And the race to the bottom continues…

davescotland1:
Hi all, New to this forum also new to truck driving. I’m about to sit my Class 1 and 2. I am 29 years old. Once I have passed my test all I really want to do is tramping and European work.

Unfortunately, many companies want two years experience to
comply with their insurance stipulations. It’s a Catch 22 situation.

carryfast-yeti:

I would work for Richard long and yes I have read the reviews about him but I have had a lot of experience with farm machinery. Would he take a new driver on tho or would anyone for that matter?

MikeCunn:

davescotland1:

[zb] perfect. New drivers coming in not being bothered about pay? And the race to the bottom continues…

I never said I was not bothered about pay! what I said was the money is not an issue as I read all the post on here and everyone moans about the money of tramping and being away and not getting paid enough…

Dieseldoforme:

davescotland1:
Hi all, New to this forum also new to truck driving. I’m about to sit my Class 1 and 2. I am 29 years old. Once I have passed my test all I really want to do is tramping and European work.

Unfortunately, many companies want two years experience to
comply with their insurance stipulations. It’s a Catch 22 situation.

So how would I go about getting the experience? Would I be better to go back to new Zealand where new drivers get the chance then come back after a couple of years and starting here? any advice is helpful.

davescotland1:

MikeCunn:

davescotland1:

[zb] perfect. New drivers coming in not being bothered about pay? And the race to the bottom continues…

I never said I was not bothered about pay! what I said was the money is not an issue as I read all the post on here and everyone moans about the money of tramping and being away and not getting paid enough…

Are you financially secure then and only doing this for a bit of extra pocket money?
People will try and ■■■■ all over you in this industry if you show a laid back attitude towards money, maybe a toll reimbursement not accounted for, done 15 nights out but only been paid for 12 etc
Welcome to the forum.

davescotland1:

carryfast-yeti:

I would work for Richard long and yes I have read the reviews about him but I have had a lot of experience with farm machinery. Would he take a new driver on tho or would anyone for that matter?

It’s difficult to get a start in this industry. Especially with the attitudes of some of the older more experienced drivers that just want to take the ■■■■ out of people. I don’t know how likely you are to be taken on by a company doing European or tramping, but it’s certainly worth considering anything at first to get the magic ‘2 years’ under your belt. Agencies always seem to be the best bet for new drivers. It’s a steep but valuable learning curve. Whatever you do, good luck with it.

MikeCunn:

davescotland1:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome.

Have a go here before moving back around the world!

Okay it’s a stereotype, but I reckon a can-do Kiwi attitude will stand you in good stead, especially with experience of machinery. A smaller firm might suit you better, most big ones are too scared to let people use the toilet without proof of experience of using both class one and two human waste receptacles.

davescotland1:
I never said I was not bothered about pay!

Ok, sorry for being an arse then. Your post read as you don’t care about the wages so long as you get to drive a lorry and have enough money for food etc when Tramping.

As others have said, small firms may be a better bet and there’s also the ‘dreaded’ agency. I did the agency route when I first started 8 years ago. Some agencies cover Tramping as well and the wages can be ok. Good luck getting on somewhere.

Do you actually think your just going to walk in to a euro job without even the slightest experience in the uk never mind experience on class 2?

Your joining a very long list of people that just want to start off on a 7.5 truck.

davescotland1:
So how would I go about getting the experience?

Would I be better to go back to New Zealand where new drivers
get the chance then come back after a couple of years and starting
here?

Any advice is helpful.

That’s what I mean by Catch 22. You can’t win.

I did it via an Agency who knew more about it than I did
when I passed my test. He blagged me into some work
where I was able to gain the experience.

I’ve been to NZ myself (Auckland) and loved the place.
I wasn’t trucking but I wouldn’t mind it.

davescotland1:
Hi all, New to this forum also new to truck driving. I’m about to sit my Class 1 and 2. I am 29 years old. Once I have passed my test all I really want to do is tramping and European work, For example be away for weeks if not months at a time. What im looking for is some advice is this possible or what’s the best route to take to get there. I have drove Stock trucks in new Zealand that’s the only experience I have. Not worried about money as long as I have enough to live when away in truck.

get your licences, cpc, adr, drivers card, (forklift also would be an advantage)etc. so you have everything you need to start working immediately then print of maybe ten or fifteen c.v’s and go around all the haulage firms round your area and if you can try to hand it directly to a manager and show them that you are enthusiastic and willing to work hard, you could just be lucky and they might be stuck for a driver and there you are ready to go, theres a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time.

Scanner:
Welcome.

Have a go here before moving back around the world!

Okay it’s a stereotype, but I reckon a can-do Kiwi attitude will stand you in good stead, especially with experience of machinery. A smaller firm might suit you better, most big ones are too scared to let people use the toilet without proof of experience of using both class one and two human waste receptacles.

Thanks, once I pass my test I will have a phone around company’s and see if there would be anyone willing to give me a chance. If you bought a lorry the insurance would only be 3k a year so why are big companies not will be let you drive?

jay0:

davescotland1:

get your licences, cpc, adr, drivers card, (forklift also would be an advantage)etc. so you have everything you need to start working immediately then print of maybe ten or fifteen c.v’s and go around all the haulage firms round your area and if you can try to hand it directly to a manager and show them that you are enthusiastic and willing to work hard, you could just be lucky and they might be stuck for a driver and there you are ready to go, theres a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time.

I have forklift tickets. what’s adr? thanks for the advice.

stagedriver:
Do you actually think your just going to walk in to a euro job without even the slightest experience in the uk never mind experience on class 2?

Your joining a very long list of people that just want to start off on a 7.5 truck.

Yeah that is exactly what im going to do. it may take a bit longer but there will be someone somewhere which will take me on. once I find them I will let you know.

davescotland1:

jay0:

davescotland1:

I have forklift tickets. what’s adr? thanks for the advice.

Accord Européen Relatif au Transport International des Marchandises Dangereuses par Route = ADR. The carriage of goods classed as dangerous (by the UN) by road. Petrol or Diesel tankers for example. Have a google around for it, there’s quite a bit to it. Be aware that “standard” courses will only cover seven out of the nine classes. You will (unless there’s a really generous ADR training firm out there) have to pay extra for Class 1 (explosives) and Class 7 (radioactives).

It’s not a guarantee of more money, but it’s no harm to have the qualification.