New driver

Hello all,

Been a member here for a while now but just not posted

Passed my test back in may although not done much driving since as my boss was worried I’d total his nice new Volvo. But eventually I got my break and every time I get out I bloody love it. I don’t work for a haulage company so I don’t really all the delivery times everyone else has on them which is why I prob like it.

I know from seing other posts CPC is a slightly sore subject here, but does anyone have a good recommendations for course to go on?

Thought I’d share a quick picture of of what I cruz about in.

I know that username from somewhere … ADUK ?

If you have not done a drivers hours course since passing then that would be a good start for a newbie because the initial dcpc and/or theory does not really cover it

If a LGV driving school does such a course then opt for that as you know they will be spot on because not doing it right will get them a bad rep and thats the last thing they want as it could affect their main training business

Many non LGV DCPC training companies have set up for this and TBH many have fallen short on accurate advice/info

ROG:
I know that username from somewhere … ADUK ?

If you have not done a drivers hours course since passing then that would be a good start for a newbie because the initial dcpc and/or theory does not really cover it

If a LGV driving school does such a course then opt for that as you know they will be spot on because not doing it right will get them a bad rep and thats the last thing they want as it could affect their main training business

Many non LGV DCPC training companies have set up for this and TBH many have fallen short on accurate advice/info

Yup that’s me :smiley: . The driver hours and tacho’s was one I had my eye one. A collegeue of mine has apparently found a skid pan course for trucks which could be quite interesting to do. Past that I’m lost. I’ve already got my ADR but. I toke that before a few years ago so that doesn’t count towards my hours.

If you intend to keep the ADR going then that needs refreshing every 5 years so if it needs refreshing before 09/09/2014 or whenever your current DQC expires then opt for the full ADR course which can have 21 dcpc with it if that course is dcpc approved

The extra dcpc cost on top of the course is usually minimal compared to doing others because the provider is just tagging on the dcpc to the main course

From the little I know about ADR it seems that doing the full course again as the refresher is a better option than doing a refresher because it is more relaxed and you can take in all the updates easier which have occured during the last 5 years - some bloke on here called dieseldave mentioned that to me and he seems to know a little (AHEM COUGH) about ADR :wink: :unamused:

If you go for that option then you will have 7 hours from a drivers hours course and 21 from an ADR course which leaves you with 7 more to get

A very small minority of dcpc/ADR course providers have a 35 hour dcpc course approved which involves the 3.5 day basic ADR course, the 1 day tanks course and 2 x half days of drivers hours and tachos - the exam hours do not count which is why the 5.5 total only counts foor 5 days = 35 hours for dcpc - those courses usually start monday morning and finish saturday lunchtime

ADR isn’t due for another couple of years. I completely forgot about the miniumum course time for CPC courses. 7 hours isn’t it? O well I’ll have to do that separately then as I’m sure my company won’t pay for a full course again.

kwaka jack:
ADR isn’t due for another couple of years. I completely forgot about the miniumum course time for CPC courses. 7 hours isn’t it? O well I’ll have to do that separately then as I’m sure my company won’t pay for a full course again.

Can you do the ADR before 09/09/2014 and make up the difference on top of what the company will pay?