New driver, what sat nav?

Or, forcibly strapping in an unwilling co-driver for “night-time comfort” activities :laughing:

i was gently trying to suggest to the op that if i have the right person his concern should be the guy supposedly helping / shadowing him shouldn’t be sleeping.

We have all done it at some point i guess. the candidate has driven competently up to the drop so could be expected to do so coming back and you nod off in the passenger seat. However i used to say to them if you need help for any reason wake me. or if we had seen a diversion on the way up wake me when we get to the diversion.

Those who favour free or low-cost navigation options might want to consider the downsides of saving a few shekels.

Firstly, a lot of companies will have a policy of wanting to verify your navigation aids

Secondly, will your ~£400-ish of savings look like such a great idea if things go wrong for you?

You can get a fine and points on your licence simply for contravening a road sign, eg passing a height-limit circular (prohibitory) sign, then realising you’re going to have to reverse back up the road.

To say nothing of hitting a bridge: fines in court, points on your licence, plus suspension of your HGV entitlement courtesy of your TC. The lowest suspension I’ve seen is two weeks (how many pro Sat Navs would two weeks wages buy you?). More commonly these days it tends to be (on the recommendations of Senior Traffic Commissioner Richard Turfitt) six months suspension :astonished:
Considering most drivers “won’t get out of bed for less than a grand a week” :rofl: a one-off investment of £400 seems reasonable to protect your entitlement and it’s earning potential

I find it very hard to trust other drivers when I’m the passenger, my distrust being amply demonstrated the day another driver (showing me his routes before I took over the next week), having multiple times ignored me saying “Stop looking out of the f’in windows at the scenery and focus on the f’in road!”, ended up running into the back of a tourist’s car which had come to a halt because of sheep on the road :roll_eyes:

And don’t get me started on the massively obese guy who had a (mild) heart attack on a double manning shift!

the guy that got into the drivers seat of a parked unit with a brick wall 2 inches off the front bumper and asked me if he had to reverse out or could he go out forwards you can bet i didn’t fall asleep that night. In fact i think he was the one that got 1/2 way round the m25 (we were going to spalding from sittingbourne) and decided he was too tired to drive you can be sure i jumped at the chance.

1 Like

two companies that i have driven for use a modified version of co pilot one told you not to use anything else (but never checked) the other didn’t care however they held you liable for all fines if you breached any control scheme.

i have never paid that amount for a satnav i simply wait till they are in a sale. I look at it as an aid for my job assisting with what i see out of the screen

I’ve never paid £400 either, but I got a £400 model for £295 because Tom-Tom kept emailing me regarding discounted models to replace my previous model (which I didn’t even have any more) because it was “no longer supported”. Bonzer!

I bought this one two years ago and it’s cheaper now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071HMXVRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, you absolutely can put in the dimensions of the truck. You can also set it for a car or van.
I had some problems initiallly linking it to my phone, but once that was sorted, having live traffic is a big plus on occasion. And no, I do not pay a subscription for that.
Finally, if you are going to invest that much in a lorry satnav, then it makes sense to look after it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GV1GA82/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I got, including the TT discount it was £295, including the case, lifetime live traffic (unlike the newer models which have an annual renewal) . It’s still being sold on ebay for more than I paid for it

I’ve got the current go expert 7” , had it 3 years but it’s getting temperamental now I think I’m gonna swap to the app as you can get a refurbed iPad mini on rainforest for £110 and app costs £90
My yearly traffic and speed cameras cost £60

Thank you :+1:

Mines the expert 7, got it direct from tomtom in a sale. It no longer notifies of speed cameras (others at work with the much older truck one get lifetime cameras). I just run Google maps alongside it for cameras.

I don’t think anybody else but you had mentioned tacho modes? Merely the other guy was sleeping while… working?

Reading on here the problems of TomTom and all satnavs, I don’t think spending £75 on Navpal or £300-£400 on a TT absolves you from anything (least of all looking out the windows).
My experience of Roadlords has been…on the whole… positive. (Absolute ■■■■■■ nightmares included). I fully accepts Coops experience in town, so everyone can make their judgement call.

Is there a link for that? I had the same experience, clicked on it before and it was on my Google maps for a while until it disappeared, never to return.

I would agree that a satnav is of little value when following a diversion. The sat nav doesn’t know what roads are closed unless you tell it.

I would save your money and get one if you find you really need one.

If you just type in google hgv low bridge map then open the site. Make the map full screen and it will automatically open your google maps with the bridges pinned. Save it in your maps and away you go.

1 Like

Agree. On the work I do I’ve managed easy enough without one so far. When I think I need one I’ll look at them. I get laughed at for carrying a truckers atlas :laughing:

:man_shrugging: Doesn’t hurt to drive home the point that as long as the vehicle is in motion, sleeping while being POA (default tacho mode for non-driver when double manning) isn’t Daily Rest, and similarly than you can’t (legally) be on the bunk when the vehicle is moving. It seemed that was new information to some?

Having said that, I did once meet a driver who claimed he had escaped death because he was on the bunk - big tree branch came through the windscreen, and would have impaled anyone sitting in the passenger seat. How true it is, I can’t say.

Sounds like when the seatbelt law was introduced:
“I was thrown clear, and the car exploded in a ball of flame. If I had a seatbelt on I would have died” etc.

Might well be true but far from typical.