New Driver Video

I passed my class 2 in November and class 1 in January.
Got a job 2 weeks ago and spent 4 days in Induction and 4 days out with other drivers on their runs.

I did my first Solo run on Monday and thought I would document it.
I was nervous beforehand.
I hope it may give training and new drivers an insight into a first run. Maybe :sunglasses:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Nxp6IdX ā€¦ e=youtu.be

Great video - good luck with the job

John

I just wanted to say; thanks for posting this Stifford! As someone who is thinking of taking his first tentative steps toward driving as a career, your video really helped me a lot believe it or not. I even felt nervous for you at points :wink:

Iā€™ve watched a ton of videos posted by many experienced drivers over the last several weeks, and I always find myself thinking ā€œnooo - donā€™t cut that bit out of the video!ā€ whenever they run into a lot of the ā€˜routineā€™ bits of the job (tolls, paperwork, route planning, even things like filling up, etc. :wink:) so it was really interesting to watch this from the perspective of a ā€œfirst day on the jobā€. Some of the insights have definitely helped me figure out what to expect a little better.

What on earth was going on @ 35:30 by the way? I couldnā€™t quite see from the video. Do you know why they had their hazards on? I expected them to pull over, but they just kept on moving on :slight_smile:

Many thanks again, and congrats on the new job and what appears to be a great first solo run.

p.s. First post! :slight_smile:

Actually for a class 1 driving along the motorway that was an interesting 40 minute video. Iā€™ve been driving now as a job for almost a year doing multi drop deliveries in a mercedes sprinter van and the idea of getting my class 2 and class 1 license stemmed from that. As I love driving why not doing it in a proper vehicle :slight_smile:

When and where did you start from? Video gives the impression of a very long day, I felt more tired watching than I do driving to the south of France!!! Fair play your doing ok everyday youā€™ll gain more confidence and experience and remember in this job everyday is a school day.

Agreed, definitely did look like a long day to me too from the video :slight_smile:

Based on the signs leaving the depot, looks to be somewhere between Grantham and Stamford, just off the A1?

Yup, Gonnerby Moor, Grantham on A1.
Thanks for the positive comments, ill try to make another sometime :sunglasses:

Stifford:
I passed my class 2 in November and class 1 in January.
Got a job 2 weeks ago and spent 4 days in Induction and 4 days out with other drivers on their runs.

I did my first Solo run on Monday and thought I would document it.
I was nervous beforehand.

Sounds great. At my first driving job I was given an agency drivers manual to read and a set of keys. I learnt a lot on that first day I can tell you.

Really enjoyed watching that :slight_smile: Just be careful your employer doesnā€™t take a hissy over the fact youā€™ve showed inside their buildings and depots etc as I know a lot of companies are really funny about thatā€¦ other than that, canā€™t wait to see more.

PS, those toll bays are intimidatingly tight at first arenā€™t they? haha!