New driver...silly questions

Hi.
At the age of 47 my employer suddenly announced that he was buying a class 2 flat bed wagon with sleeper cab and a hiab and I had to learn how to work both. Mid December and armed with my new tickets and licences I took to the road. My questions / observations have probably been covered a thousand times before on this forum so just humour me.
Right, so we all know that it used to be only Tescos and drivers under instruction that stuck to 40mph. Why is it that all of a sudden nearly all wagons are driving at 40?. I admit that on nice straight roads I like 50 better but I decided when in Rome do as the Romans do. Last Friday I made a journey that I reguarly make but instead I stuck to 40mph on normal roads. I admit that its a much safer speed and I felt much happier and more in control of the truck. But whats with the car drivers ?....jesus, one long queue behind me all bumper to bumper without a minute to live and all trying to get past. Madness. So whats the majority verdict on 40mph apart from obvious environmental benefits....has it saved accidents or will it actually cause more ?. Next question...I do not have a CPC card as I was told that I have grandad rights and dont need to do anything for 3 years. Another driver has said that I should have got one when my licence came through…is he right?
Finally, my instructor told me that on a roundabout, if your exit is past 12 oclock then you need to be in the right hand lane on approach and signal to the right. But you cant can you? If your exit is between 12 and 2 all the cars have sped past in the outside lane and you couldnt turn off to the left unless you were in a tank. Again, do as the Romans do, I now take the left on approach simply because its far safer unless the exit is at 3. Am I wrong ?..what do other drivers do ?
Cheers
Woody.

Woody1966:
Right, so we all know that it used to be only Tesco`s and drivers under instruction that stuck to 40mph. Why is it that all of a sudden nearly all wagons are driving at 40?. I admit that on nice straight roads I like 50 better but I decided when in Rome do as the Romans do. Last Friday I made a journey that I reguarly make but instead I stuck to 40mph on normal roads. I admit that its a much safer speed and I felt much happier and more in control of the truck. But whats with the car drivers ?..jesus, one long queue behind me all bumper to bumper without a minute to live and all trying to get past. Madness.

We are never going to educate those numpty car drivers so just make it as easy as is reasonably possible for them to pass

You will probably be safe in a NSL SC doing 50 in a 40 but what would you do if caugth doing that 3 times in a short period and amassing 9 points ? - keep doing it an lose your job or do 40 ?
If the answer is do 40 then why not do 40 from the outset and keep a clean licence ?
The choice is yours but so are any consequences

Woody1966:
Next question…I do not have a CPC card as I was told that I have grandad rights and don`t need to do anything for 3 years. Another driver has said that I should have got one when my licence came through…is he right?

As you are aged 47 then it is reasonable to assume you passed your car test before 1997 giving you a free LGV C1 so that means you have aquired/grandfather dcpc rights until 09/09/2014
You must complete 35 hours of dcpc periodic training by 09/09/2014 if you want to keep driving LGVs commercially after that date

Finally, my instructor told me that on a roundabout, if your exit is past 12 oclock then you need to be in the right hand lane on approach and signal to the right. But you cant can you? If your exit is between 12 and 2 all the cars have sped past in the outside lane and you couldnt turn off to the left unless you were in a tank. Again, do as the Romans do, I now take the left on approach simply because its far safer unless the exit is at 3. Am I wrong ?..what do other drivers do ?

You are now driving in the real world and not to a DSA test which can often be a little different

If what you are now doing is safe and is not confusing other road users then carry on :smiley:

Thanks for your help Rog

I find thats its a matter of judgement, Even if your exit is beyond 12oc

Good forward planning is the key to wether its better to stay in the left lane and indicate right,

Each roundabout offer’s different challenges,
No two situations are the same, even at the same roundabout // or Junction !

But I know from experence, That if my wagon is going to be slow off the mark,
and especially if a big blind spot is created to the nearside while turning right (Artic),

That its far better to keep left, and keep the numties were I can see them,
than to suddenly discover that one has darted into the blindspot when its content comes back into view.

Because the sound of Crushing metal & Breaking glass, is never a good thing to hear :blush:

de Jon

clicked wrong button: admin please delete this follow up post…

Regarding the CPC, I am also 47 and passed my HGV class 2 ( LGV C ) in December just gone 2012. I passed my car test in 1983 so gained my LGV C1 rights from then.
My instructor who is also a CPC trainer told be that only the drivers who passed their Class 1 or 2 more than 5 years ago need to complete the CPC by 2014.
All new drivers have 5 years from the date they passed their test to complete the 35 hours CPC traing, so I do not need to complete mine until December2017…
Is my Instuctor right ■■? Can anybody confirm this ■■?

Regarding the CPC, I am also 47 and passed my hgv class 2 ( lgv c ) in december just gone.
My instructor who is also a cpc trainer told be that only the drivers who passed 5 yeras ago need to complete the CPC by 2014.
All new drivers have 5 years from the date they passed their test to complete the 35 hours CPC traing, so I do not need to complete mine until December2017…
Can anybody confirm this ■■?

If you passed your car test before 1997 you will have C1 as an automatic entitlement. This will mean “grandfather rights” for driver cpc until Sept 2014. If you passed your car test after 1997, then you will need to complete Mod 2 and Mod 4 initial cpc which will then run for 5 years from the date of your CAT C pass.

My guess is that you fall into the first category so you need to complete 35 hours of periodic training before Sept 2014.

Hope this helps, Petet :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Peter

But like I say my HGV Instructor actually runs CPC Classes and when I asked about doing these modules he told me I did not need to do them… Now I am confussed :confused:

Del

del1965:
Cheers Peter

But like I say my HGV Instructor actually runs CPC Classes and when I asked about doing these modules he told me I did not need to do them… Now I am confussed :confused:

Del

Which sort did he say you will not have to do … the initial mods 2 and 4 or the periodic 35 hours ■■

He said that I did not need to do any of them, I asked about doing my 35 hours CPC before 2014 and could he get me on some courses but he said there is no rush as I have 5 years from the day I passed my test. He is a DSA registered instuctor and CPC trainer.
You probably know him, he works for Harpurs coaches in Derby

del1965:
He said that I did not need to do any of them, I asked about doing my 35 hours CPC before 2014 and could he get me on some courses but he said there is no rush as I have 5 years from the day I passed my test. He is a DSA registered instuctor and CPC trainer.

I dont know of him

It seems as though he is getting the two mixed up

There is 5 years from passing initial in which to get the 35 hours
There is five years from 09/09/2009 for those with aquired/grandfather rights

ROG:

del1965:

I dont know of him

It seems as though he is getting the two mixed up

There is 5 years from passing initial in which to get the 35 hours
There is five years from 09/09/2009 for those with aquired/grandfather rights

Cheers, I think your right as what your all saying makes sense, oh well I still have 20 months to complete the CPC… Where do I start ■■?

Type Periodic CPC into Google and there are plenty of providers all with varying costs.

Be aware that some ‘forget’ to quote the fee to upload the hours completed to your CPC record and add it on at the end.

If you want to do Hiab or ADR it CAN count towards your CPC hours.

dar1976:
Type Periodic CPC into Google and there are plenty of providers all with varying costs.

Be aware that some ‘forget’ to quote the fee to upload the hours completed to your CPC record and add it on at the end.

If you want to do Hiab or ADR it CAN count towards your CPC hours.

Thanks Dar1976
Yes Hiab and ADR would be very useful, I think I will do these first…
Can anybody recommend where I could do these in the Derby area ?
Del

DATA ACADEMY do DCPC approved ADR courses and are about 5 mins from M1/M69 near leicester if that helps

ROG:
DATA ACADEMY do DCPC approved ADR courses and are about 5 mins from M1/M69 near leicester if that helps

Cheers Rog :smiley:

Just a thought regarding your cpc before you shell out yourself , ask your employer if he will be paying for it as you may be lucky and he will provide your cpc for you :wink:

Jennie:
Just a thought regarding your cpc before you shell out yourself , ask your employer if he will be paying for it as you may be lucky and he will provide your cpc for you :wink:

It would help if I had a job :frowning:

del1965:

Jennie:

It would help if I had a job :frowning:

sorry Del1965 that was intended for the original poster , but hope you find somat soon :blush:

No worries Jennie, im sure my luck will change soon :slight_smile:

Del