New driver.......new job....wages?

Im a new class 1 driver passed in feb 2012 , got my class 2 in november last year and after having god knows how many “you need 2 years experience,s” off agencys and the like , ive managed to secure a job with a reputable company not mentioning any names , putting me out on class2 rigids for a while on a massive hourly rate of £6.40p per hour which lies a few pence above minimum wage, but can end up on class 1 decent work…im 43 years of age and earnt more when i was 17 am i moaning ■■? all was well in interview , induction when i got told about the wages i had to stop my lower jaw crashing threw the deck…or is this the norm ■■? pray tell thx in advance…cheers.

A bit low TBH. But these days beggars can’t be choosy.

I’d take it and aim for getting 2 years exp. Look for better in the meantime :wink:

im gonna go for it, shocking wages…but sunny horizons later…start monday 5 am lol

Sound the norm for Cat C but depends where you are

Prove that you are a good, reliable, trustworthy and capable driver - then knock on the door and ask for a bit more. But bear in mind that there’s probably a line of drivers behind you waiting for the job so make yourself invaluable first.

It’s a low wage but there are fair arguments for that from the employer’s point of view. eg you are likely to achieve a bit less work than an experienced driver, possibly cause minor damage (I certainly did!). Try not to look on it as exploitation - more an opportunity to make a start.

BUT, if you are doing a very good job after a few months with no problems, I would certainly be asking for a rise.

In the meantime, congrats on gettting the job and hope it all pans out well for you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

many thanks …people :slight_smile:

Peter Smythe:
Prove that you are a good, reliable, trustworthy and capable driver - then knock on the door and ask for a bit more. But bear in mind that there’s probably a line of drivers behind you waiting for the job so make yourself invaluable first.

It’s a low wage but there are fair arguments for that from the employer’s point of view. eg you are likely to achieve a bit less work than an experienced driver, possibly cause minor damage (I certainly did!). Try not to look on it as exploitation - more an opportunity to make a start.

BUT, if you are doing a very good job after a few months with no problems, I would certainly be asking for a rise.

In the meantime, congrats on gettting the job and hope it all pans out well for you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That’s how I view it as I’m in a similar position on £6.50 plus 60p per hour as a bonus. Use it as a learning curve for the moment and look for something in a while. That’s why I’m doing my class C+E this week so that I can move on plus our firm pays more for C+E drivers :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’m on £9.50 an hour for Class 2 so yeah it’s a bit low, but if I were you I’d take it, get experience which is invaluable and continue to look elsewhere.

were are you based drive?