New Driver/Member

Hey There Guys!

My name is Martyn I am 26 & based in Stourbridge West Midlands, I’ve only have found the time to sign up to this great Driver forum, I was a learner Truck Driver from the start of 2013, and since reading this forum, i have found alot of help and advice from many other pro drivers on here, that helped me towards getting my HGV, I completed my medical 12/2012 Theory & perception 04-2013 HGV Cat C 05/2013 & HGV Cat C+E 07/2013, will be having a little break this month, before my pursue my CPC Module’s 2 & 4 and then will apply for Digi Tacho & start job hunting. just had a couple of questions that could do with a little help with.

• I’m still waiting for licence to come back with my class one entitlements to be added, however i wish to update my pic on my licence as i look about 12 lol! just need advice on how to do this, as has been a long time? :slight_smile:

• Secondly what kind of work would you Pro Drivers recommended a new driver with both category’s is best to start? maybe class 2 for a bit or straight to class one? I would even be prepared to work unpaid to go out with drivers to assist in there days to get a taste of what’s expected?

will welcome all advice and help that’s left to me! P.S any new learner Drivers thinking about taking up a Career in HGV in the West Midlands, I would Strongly Recommend Top Gear Driver Training Halesowen :slight_smile:

Welcome :slight_smile:

Here’s a link for the photo application:

gov.uk/renew-photo-driving-licence

wilko77fc:
I would even be prepared to work unpaid to go out with drivers to assist in there days to get a taste of what’s expected?

When them truckers read this - expect to get an ■■■■ pounding with hefty boot

haha! trust me I’m well aware of the hard graft that will be needed to do! I actually cant wait to get started! :slight_smile:

wilko77fc:
I would even be prepared to work unpaid to go out with drivers

Good idea - its doing unpaid work alone which takes a wage from another that is frowned upon

wilko77fc:

• I’m still waiting for licence to come back with my class one entitlements to be added, …

Hi wilko77fc,

And…

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your LGV “C+E” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

wilko77fc:
I would even be prepared to work unpaid to go out with drivers to assist in there days to get a taste of what’s expected?

* This was discussed here at great length, and the consensus was that doing unpaid work really isn’t a good idea.

wilko77fc:
P.S any new learner Drivers thinking about taking up a Career in HGV in the West Midlands, I would Strongly Recommend Top Gear Driver Training Halesowen :slight_smile:

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ve just added Top Gear to the TN list of recommended LGV driving tuition providers. :smiley:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the passes :smiley:

If you want to gain a little experience going out with another driver will help just make sure your not doing the job for free, ie your just going out with another guy to learn the ropes as such , offering to work for free and you will be taken advantage of , you can gain some valuable experience from learning from someone else and also gives you the confidence that there is someone there to help if things get tricky , your more likely to get this from smaller companies as larger ones dont normally entertain this , you can then impress the driver and he can report back to boss leave your cv with them and they may remember you :bulb:

another way is just go round all the local hauliers with your cv and go in personally , ask to see the tm or boss if poss make sure you have high viz, boots ,gloves etc as you may be lucky and they have just had a driver go sick or not turn up and your there ready to go :bulb: , it will need a lot of leg work and broad shoulders to take the knockbacks but if you keep at it that lucky break will happen

Good luck with it all

wilko77fc:
Hey There Guys!

My name is Martyn I am 26 & based in Stourbridge West Midlands

wilko77fc:
will be having a little break this month, before my pursue my CPC Module’s 2 & 4 and then will apply for Digi Tacho & start job hunting.

Get those modules done, and apply for your “Digi Tacho” ASAP

Why:
Personally I wouldnt spend to much time sitting on my backside,
as it will soon be the busiest period of the trucking year.

Also: it’s presently the Summer Holiday Break Session,
i.e Lot’s of drivers are taking there annual leave/holidays.

Which means a great many companies are scatching at the bottom of the barrel
and hence are more likely to take on a fresh-pass//in-experienced driver.

So 2xQ says, As soon as your entitled to drive, Get out there and find work.

Personally I would do my best to find work driving an Artic,
My reasoning being that:
Alow the experience gained handling cargo using Rigid’s will be useful
With each day spent driving a Rigid,
The further away (in time] your last [limitied] Artic driving experience becomes.

My gess is:
You didnt throw a surplus £1200+ at passing out with CE, just to flash the badge.

With that in mind, 2xQ says:
Gett out there and go knock on the door of well known parcel delivery companies located near junction 1 M5 (@ Oldbury )
[ as they are well known to have taken on “fresh Pass” CE drivers in the past ! ]

If there only offering Nights (or just temp Weekend cover) Take-it

Re: Agency work :
As your be passing there office, on route to Oldbury:
go sign up with Masstemps at Dudley ( by far the best driver agency in our area )

de Jon ( Droitwich )

PS: re your photo on license: The DVLA will force you to renew it about every 5th year.
so dont add extra delay, by sending your licence back, just to have the photo changed
if it anit legally required… ( find the job 1st, then send it back if you must ] :wink:

Jennie:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the passes :smiley:

If you want to gain a little experience going out with another driver will help just make sure your not doing the job for free, ie your just going out with another guy to learn the ropes as such , offering to work for free and you will be taken advantage of , you can gain some valuable experience from learning from someone else and also gives you the confidence that there is someone there to help if things get tricky , your more likely to get this from smaller companies as larger ones dont normally entertain this , you can then impress the driver and he can report back to boss leave your cv with them and they may remember you :bulb:

another way is just go round all the local hauliers with your cv and go in personally , ask to see the tm or boss if poss make sure you have high viz, boots ,gloves etc as you may be lucky and they have just had a driver go sick or not turn up and your there ready to go :bulb: , it will need a lot of leg work and broad shoulders to take the knockbacks but if you keep at it that lucky break will happen

Good luck with it all

Thank you for the kind words and feedback, just CPC to undertake than will join the room of many other rookies fighting for a start! :smiley: