New driver looking for work! Cat C

Hi all, I’m a complete newbie! Just passed CPC module 4, got a digicard and am ready for work. I’m in the Notts area and at least half the jobs advertised are for Taylors Transport, has anyone worked for them before? I’ve heard good things about working for the Co-op but haven’t seen any job vacancies. Where is the best place to look for jobs, online or…? Any advice gratefully received! I can’t wait to start working but am a bit nervous :blush:

I’d say CO-OP has on in house agency as most of the big places do do you won’t see co-op advertising for drivers,you will need to find out what agency is in there and go through them.
Ring up the depo and ask what’s what.

Taylors is excellent for giving newbies a start.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Yo all. Im a new class 2 driver as well. Waiting for the license to come back from dvla. Any idea of an agency that recruits new drivers in birmingham? 1st thing im not british but i do speak write and read very good english and im already 3 yrs in birmingham. Second… a bit off topic i did my training with A1 training services in birmingham i recommend them 110%. If u guys want any more details why i choose them i can give you. Anyway is nice to see that ppl here are very prompt and helpful makes everything so easy. In about 3 month i am hoping to get class 1 as well … i wish me good luck :slight_smile:))). Have a safe journey all.

Guess you get some money back if you refer someone Sfantu? :wink:

Sorry, I have no idea about your questions, but have you done the CPC?

I wish i get some money:) but i dont :stuck_out_tongue: . I just like to give a very good feedback to those who deserve it. And my question is: does anyone know a good agency that recruits new drivers in birmingham?
And yes i passed 100% score the module 4 CPC.

Been where u are about 18 months ago; here’s what i found.

Taylors are good at giving newbies a chance!! cus they cant get anyone else. Crap trucks crap work crap money … just crap avoid.

CO-OP. Agency you need is ADR. got sole supply to site. Word of warning this is a tough job for a newbie. 50% of shops are bloody tight manovres, if you get a 26t truck with a massive swing on the arse end its tough. All down to you and your confidence really. They run 18t too, but by nature the 18t only go to places the bigger trucks dont fit so all tight. All that said good job and good money, Can be a bit physical if you get ambient loads, full cages of beer wine etc are heavy…

3663 Langley Mill. All 18t. Will set anyone on as always desperate. Loads of different agencies in there. Work ranges from easy 2 drops to prisons to stupid 30 drops all over the place. TM is a total idiot just has to be ignored. Weeks are long work is hard.

SG Transport - Ilkeston. Reasonable trucks that are worked hard. Most of work is news print distribution so all fork lift and curtain work. Agency?? they swap about a bit. Always looking for drivers, I’d just call in and ask they are ok. That said their own drivers are always moaning about pay but might be a good place to get that much need experience.

Round the corner from SG there is Creed Foodservice, bit like 3663 but a bit less pressure, nice enough people wont mind you popping in.

Main advice i would give at this point is just work, but be wary about taking on too much i did and ended up gently caressing a couple of posts and a car. All experience that makes you a better driver in the long run but feels like ■■■■ at the time.

If i were you id put on my high viz and go and see SG, not the best but 1000% better than Taylors. Get some experience then consider Co-op etc.

Thanks calsdad. Ill def try them on. I will update on forum here whatever i find and do :slight_smile: it might be useful for others later.

And btw guys. If and when i get an interview with an agency what should i tell them how to talk with them… my work background is mainly coordinating leading position in hospitality gambling industry and a bit of logistics prolly they will think i cant do it… or not? What do they usually ask in an interview… and if they give you an assessment what do they put you to do?

Thank you Calsdad! Really appreciate it :smiley:

An agency called Extra Personnel have asked me to go in for a chat, do you know anything about them?

I have worked for Extra personal ( Derby office) whilst on agency in the past they kept me in work but when there wasn’t anything the phone didn’t ring like any other agency I’ve worked for . JT recruitment were advertising the other week for class 2 drivers for round junction 28 area I’m sure that was for UDG at south normanton the advert was on jobsite I’m sure JT supply Wests at Ilkeston too . Have u tried Lockwoods at Ambergate ? I’m sure they have been advertising recently .

I haven’t tried either, but will now! Thanks :slight_smile: What are the rules about agencies? Can I only register with one or…?

Can second the Co-op job. I did some runs for Lincolnshire co-op, great bunch of people, really helpful. Had the attitude of “It will get there when it gets there”. The work is hard, the cages are crap and they are loaded sometimes to the top with drink so they are really heavy and have a mind of their own. The trucks aren’t too bad but the places you have to put them are horrible. If you want a baptism of fire then this is your job. the customers are normally clueless and will walk in front of you, park right where you need to be. Block you in etc.

Everyone from the TM down is really switched on, drivers will go out of their way to help you. I had one even draw me a map! If you’re looking for a way to stop going to the gym then this is the job you want :wink:

I’m working for Extra at the moment. OK but agents are agents they are all the same really. They only earn when you do so will push and tell porkies to suit them.

I would recommend signing on with more than one see who you get on with best. A bit of switch and change never hurts and keeps them honest on rates.

Tried 80% of them in the area if you want a warts and all pm me. I’ll tell you the good bad and who to avoid like the plauge. Not fair to publically post. But that said avoid QS at all costs !!!.

Lockwoods dont use agents as a rule just for odd days when someone calls in sick so only done a couple of days. They prefer to employ people on books. Good company but class two rate aint great and only 40 odd hour a week.

In dealing with agents always remember without you they do not earn. It’s not a job interview they need you. I always interview them, try and cut the the bs there will be a lot of it. What you really need to know is if they have work. Many will try to get you to sign up then ring around companies trying to sell you. Get names of companies and examples of opportunities from them. This type of questioning will soon get you seeing through the lies and working it out for yourself. Its just a game, first six months you will make mistakes and they will take advantage. Take it as learning and dont get caught again.

One thing always … always get text or email conversation of rate. Then there is no room for argument.