New driver looking for advice :)

Hi everyone I’m new to this site and thought I’d ask for some advice on job searches etc

Okay will I’ve had my class 2 licence for a year now and have only managed to get some 7.5 tonne work and van driving work and everywhere I have tried for class 2 work either say I’ve got no experience or string me along and say they’ll ring me back (but never do)
Is going down the 7.5 tonne route a good way to get experience? I did enjoy some of the 7.5 tonne work but found that the pay was lower than I expected. I live in the Lancaster area if anyone knows of any good places to work in Morecambe/heysham or Lancaster area. I’d like to work at S J Bargh I know that would be a good place to work it’s just a matter of being taken on that’s the problem. I have my licence and ready to start work just need the employer to give me a chance.

Is there any newbies that have had the same problem?

Do I carry on trying or should I go down a different route of employment it has always been my dream to be a truck driver I’ve grown up around trucks and feel like I’ve wasted my money on this licence if I give up on it.

Sorry but now is not the best time for zero experience newbies. You’ll find it easier when things pick up again around March. But keep trying pal, you’ll catch a break in the end…

sent via phone

For me, I’d be grabbing all the work I can get. The more time you have on the road the better it looks when you do hit up employers. Keep trying though, drivers tend to get itchy feet in January. Get yourself on with some agencies. You’ll get the dross but its work, it puts money in your bank and gets your face out there. Do a good job and a firm may offer you a start on the books.

Gingerbiscuit:
Hi everyone I’m new to this site and thought I’d ask for some advice on job searches etc

Okay will I’ve had my class 2 licence for a year now and have only managed to get some 7.5 tonne work and van driving work and everywhere I have tried for class 2 work either say I’ve got no experience or string me along and say they’ll ring me back (but never do)
Is going down the 7.5 tonne route a good way to get experience? I did enjoy some of the 7.5 tonne work but found that the pay was lower than I expected. I live in the Lancaster area if anyone knows of any good places to work in Morecambe/heysham or Lancaster area. I’d like to work at S J Bargh I know that would be a good place to work it’s just a matter of being taken on that’s the problem. I have my licence and ready to start work just need the employer to give me a chance.

Is there any newbies that have had the same problem?

Do I carry on trying or should I go down a different route of employment it has always been my dream to be a truck driver I’ve grown up around trucks and feel like I’ve wasted my money on this licence if I give up on it.

I am in the same boat. I passed my Class 2 at the end of September after 4 years driving buses. I have tried a couple of months of the direct approach to employers but most are not taking on this time of year or they have tried the NMW route on me.
From January 3rd I’m registering at as many agencies as I can to get some hours under my belt. It may be the best way forward for you also.

Ron

get in touch with the pallet networks in your area. go direct to their yard with everything you need for work.

you might get lucky. if they ask how much experience you have just say youve had your license a year. :wink:

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I found the best way to get the experience when I started was to go to the very small “fly-by-night” agencies set up by an ex-driver or similar, not the bigger ones who may stick more rigidly to corporate procedures etc. I remember more than once being put into companies where the agency told me to under no account mention I had just passed my test.

It’s not ideal but sometimes it is the only way.

Thanks for the advice people :slight_smile:

Maybe I’m just impatient but if I have to go down the agency route to get experience then maybe that’s the best way. I know a few firms in my area that aren’t too bothered about experience etc so could try them in March and I know barghs are now training people up and putting them through their class 2 and class 1 tests so that could be a good place to go if they train people.

I suppose everyone has to start somewhere

Anyway have a good Xmas everyone

I’m not saying wait until March mate, just that things tend to get easier as work picks up…
Keep knocking on doors until then, but don’t beat yourself up thinking it’s possibly you!

As said above, pallet firms are a good start for a Newbie (it’s what I did) and while they are slow over Xmas, they tend to be back to normal within a few weeks of the New Year. However with ZERO experience, you’ll be last on the list, so you sort of have to wait until the experienced drivers have been used up first. But saying that, it can also be about being in the right place at the right time, so keep trying mate! :smiley:

When you’re applying for jobs see that 7.5t work you done that was actually a 26t rigid :wink: . Have you approached any of your local waste management firms? The works not for everyone meaning you may get a start. It’s certainly not glamour trucking but it’ll get you some more experience and money in the bank.

joeyd:
I found the best way to get the experience when I started was to go to the very small “fly-by-night” agencies set up by an ex-driver or similar, not the bigger ones who may stick more rigidly to corporate procedures etc. I remember more than once being put into companies where the agency told me to under no account mention I had just passed my test.

It’s not ideal but sometimes it is the only way.

That’s what got me a break. Registered with all the well known agencies and got nothing, joined a small less known one and within a few weeks got a call out the blue.

Never give up its a bum time to be looking as a new pass as evil said,knock on doors work gear in the car,be prepared to be sent out there and then if you do hit lucky.
The docks at heysham would be a good place to start even if its agency,speak to them they will know which agency goes in there and who for then contact the company direct.

as previously mentioned keep trying all youre local companies who do pallet trak-palletline etc it may well be borth going to the depots banging on doors with all youre documents first thing on a morning you may be in luck if theyve had a driver not turn up they may put you out on the road there and then but failing that keep trying all agencies in youre area i know dhl while take agency in with little experience as i done aa few days in dhl boots severn beach on agency when i first passed my test but be prepared to sit through a few inductions keep trying you will get somthing in the end. i started making enqueries a few weeks ago about going onto european class1 driving little did i think they would offer me the job within 3 days of going for a interview and i start on 16th january definately worth trying a few small companies aswell as big ones

Definitely sign up with agencies. I got my licence in January this year but didn’t get a class 2 job until August. I’m female and only wanted to do tipper work and managed to get a few weeks work driving tippers for an agency and luckily for me during that time a local tipper firm were looking for drivers so I was able to show that I had a bit of experience and got the job :smiley:
Good luck, you’ll get there.

I do wonder about going to yards and with all your gear ready for work! Not saying its a bad idea as definitely shows your ready and willing but with all the h&s stuff and driver induction, insurance requirements i can’t see that you’d be driving there and then? MAYBE with a smaller operation but probably not many are gonna let you loose barely knowing you? Though you could go with another driver or do bits in the yard perhaps? I’m mainly going on when i started my current job and the first day was spent reading risk assessments and filling in other personal details etc, the manager did say that all they used to do was get you to sign 3 bits of paperwork and you were good too go BUT i do think its probably something from the older days?? To be fair i’d liked to be proved wrong though!