New Driver In Need of Advice

Hey All,

I’m Matt, I’m 22 from Broadway, Cotswolds.

I’m doing my class 2 driving license at the moment and looking to pass in the next month - 6 weeks. I will be the 3rd generation of truckers in my family, I could actually drive a Volvo FL6 at the age of 13 (On Private land of course) and wanted to get into trucking ever since then. I have been going with my dad since the age of about 4, started life in a tanker with him for UK petroleum, then gregorys, ferry fast, pallet line (where i learnt to drive the truck) I know how to operate tail lifts, curtain siders, back doors, pump trucks etc etc But a refresher would be a great idea for myself I think.

Well that’s a brief background on myself, my main concern is finding agencies in my area or how to go about it?

Do I go straight in for agencies to get relevant experience or do I go to local haulage firms in my area and pop in a C.V. ?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just to let you guys know, if you google image… K138ABW thats the Volvo FL6 that I learnt to drive in :smiley:

Middlehertz:
Do I go straight in for agencies to get relevant experience or do I go to local haulage firms in my area and pop in a C.V. ?

Both - take the first one that gives you a chance

Take your cv and boots gloves high viz etc in case they want to see what you can do , by far the local hauliers will be your best bet as your age may go against you as a new pass class 2 and agencies will give the ol insurance thing at you , its not impossible though Sam on here got a start young as many on here have , you need to have a thick skin when knocking on doors , dont take it personally though just keep at it , that job will come and once you have some experience behind you it will be easier
good luck :smiley:

Thank you for the replies, around where I live I have Afew hauliers, IDS, marshals of Evesham, aim logistics, ferry fast, and Afew in Redditch so will give it a bash as soon as I have my license and digi card.

I did read some amazing stories last night as I had to do a surprise night shift so I had 8 hours to burn so I read loads of stories and diaries Aswell as looking through hundreds of pics.

Oh and I will be saying to the agencies I am available days, nights, weekends, nights away, 24/7, apart from days off of course, so hoping it will make me abit more employable.