New driver. Ex Forces

Hey guys!

I was sent this way from my instructor. I’ve just passed my Class 1, got HIAB and ADR w/tanks.

I’m in Hull and I’d love to do continental work although I understand this will be hard as a new driver.

I’m just waiting on my discharge date which will put me on leave from new year ish so I don’t mind doing part time or low pay as I’ll be paid by the Army until Feb/Mar. I have picked up an injury which prevents me from heavy lifting so retail isn’t much of an option due to moving cages.

Just after some advice of companies to go for. And do they still ask for CV and go to interviews suited and booted?

Thanks, Ray

Hi Ray

To answer your last question, a CV is good. I don’t need anything fancy, but an idea of what you’ve done is good. Turning up smart is a big plus, normal trousers and a shirt puts you ahead of the guy in trackie bottoms, but take a change of clothes in case you get lucky and they ask you to do an assessment there and then.

Wrong side of the country to tell you of firms to try for, but if you are looking for Euro work, don’t discount working at a site a good way from where you are as you only have to travel to and from once a week.

The other thing is go for what you want to do as well as only what you think you have to do to pay your dues and you might get lucky. Got a couple of ex Army lads that got their ticket via the Army but had never driven commercially and they are both on doing Euro work for me.

Hi mate. Don’t know if you have joined any facebook groups regarding your line of military but worth a go. I’m ex forces (Reme, Army) and a member of various facebook groups relating to that. Among the usual banter, it’s useful for socially networking yourself when it comes to looking for work. I know FB can get a bad rap at times, but using it to get yourself out there can be a good thing.

I also don’t know if you can get any assistance from the military regarding free courses in things like CV etc. from the likes of learndirect or other such organisations as part of your path into civvy life but worth asking about with your unit admin.

Off the top of my head, I know agencies like Pertemps are keen on ex mob so that’s an option although being agency, it is, as you probably know, could be hit and miss and lower pay scale.

Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome guys! yeah I get what you mean. not really and issue to travel out if I’m not doing it everyday, Makes sense.

I’ve got an interview with GBA tomorrow in Scunthorpe.

anyone know them? are they a good company to work for? the pay seems to good to be true like. They’re saying take home is around £2200 on 4 nights away. no weekends

Ray

I know a few that take on new passes I’ll PM you

Have you got a DQC and digicard :question: :question:

DQC? And I’m just waiting on my digicard!

Well I don’t know how I managed it but I’ve landed a job without even getting my licence back from DVSA!!

GBA tramping Mon to Fri no weekends except maybe running in on a Sat morning. They said to give them a call once I have my licence and digicard and they’ll get me on the road.

yt03:
I know a few that take on new passes I’ll PM you

Thanks mate got the message!

ROG:
Have you got a DQC and digicard :question: :question:

Cancel I Google it. Aye just waiting on the postman for it haha

Congratulations let us know how you get on!

Nice one mate, well done.