New driver cpc

We have a mechanic at work who passed his class 2 around two years ago, he never did his cpc at the time, so, he’s never had a cpc,
Question, can he still drive the trucks? He is a relief driver aswell but only does maybe one or two days a week, plus covers holidays,
He reckons hes except as he says its not his main job, I’ve told him I wouldn’t be taking the risk and do the cpc courses, or at least phone a training center for advice, my work have got there head in the sand also,

I’m asking as it could affect me if our o licence is suspended,

As far as I’m aware if he’s driving commercially then he needs a CPC.

If he’s moving vehicles around for maintenance purposes he doesn’t.

Personal view… if a firm is willing to risk it like this rather than play safe then where else within that firm does it apply?

If a driver is driving a vehicle on commercial work, he needs a DCPC card.
Doesn’t matter if he is only part time or whatever. If the vehicle is moving tools etc then a DCPC card may possibly not be needed.

It isn’t whether or not the driver is employed doing other stuff as well, it is how the vehicle is being used that counts.
If an office worker drives one day a month on a commercial truck he or she needs a DCPC.
If a vehicle only carries tools or whatever, then a full time driver doesn’t need a DCPC.
Can’t see the company being closed down if that is the only problem, but slapped wrists for driver, manager and further examination likely if caught.
Edit. Agree with above, not a healthy attitude from management

Thanks for the reply"s
One of our trucks is a tanker, we doo work for Yorkshire water, i was on a site last week where there was a tanker driver from another firm and he said he was cpc exempt in a tanker and driving on a log book instead of taco?
Its all confusing,
Then isn’t there a rule that a mechanic can drive a truck for maintenance but no more than, 60 miles from base?

Just better getting the cpc card ain’t it, worry free then, ish

I think this part excludes your mechanic but not for when he/she is relief driving -
your main work activity is not driving lorries, buses or coaches
the vehicle is being driven within a 62 mile (100km) radius of your base
you’re the only person in the vehicle
the vehicle is empty, except for equipment (including machinery) permanently fixed to it (more examples for mechanics at the end)

Exemptions from needing Driver CPC
You do not need Driver CPC if you’re using the vehicle for:

non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods

carrying material or equipment you use for your job, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly work

driving for someone you work for, or your own agriculture, horticulture, forestry, farming or fisheries business, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly work

driving within 62 miles (100 kilometres) of your base - but the vehicle cannot be carrying passengers or goods, and driving a lorry, bus or coach cannot be your main job

driving to or from pre-booked appointments at official vehicle testing centres

driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC

maintaining public order - and the vehicle is being used or controlled by a local authority

rescue missions or in states of emergency

You also do not need Driver CPC if the vehicle is:

is being road tested for repair, maintenance or technical development purposes

either new or rebuilt and has not yet been taxed

being used or controlled by the armed forces, police, fire and rescue service, emergency ambulance service, prison service or people running a prison or young offender institution

limited to a top speed of 28mph

Carrying material or equipment for use in your work
You do not need Driver CPC if you’re carrying equipment or material that you use in the course of your work. This is because your main activity is not driving. The driving should be less than 30% of your rolling monthly working time.

Example 1: mobile lorry fitter

A driver is a mobile lorry fitter. They drive a vehicle from an operator’s site to another site where they take their tools from the vehicle to do their main activity of servicing lorries.

They do not need Driver CPC.

If they use an engine diagnostic kit that’s fixed within the vehicle, they still do not need Driver CPC. This is because the vehicle is carrying material or equipment for their use on-site.

Empty vehicles within 62 miles of your base if driving is not your main job
You do not need Driver CPC if you meet all of these conditions:

your main work activity is not driving lorries, buses or coaches
the vehicle is being driven within a 62 mile (100km) radius of your base
you’re the only person in the vehicle
the vehicle is empty, except for equipment (including machinery) permanently fixed to it

Example 4: a mechanic who occasionally drives lorries
A mechanic occasionally drives lorries as part of their work.

They do not need Driver CPC for journeys within a 62 mile (100km) radius of their ‘driver’s base’, as long as the lorry is not carrying goods. The ‘driver’s base’ is the place they start work on that particular day - it’s not restricted to one place.

The mechanic’s period on duty will start when they begin work after at least 9 hours off-duty - whether that’s at home, at work, or at a customer’s address. That address will continue to be their ‘driver’s base’ until they’re off-duty for at least 9 hours.

Example 1: mechanic moving empty buses between depots
A mechanic employed by a local bus company moves empty buses between depots in the local area.

They do not need Driver CPC, as driving is not their main activity (as long as they spend less than 30% of their rolling monthly working time driving), and they’re not carrying any passengers.

gov.uk/guidance/driver-cpc- … driver-cpc

jimroyale:
Thanks for the reply"s
One of our trucks is a tanker, we doo work for Yorkshire water, i was on a site last week where there was a tanker driver from another firm and he said he was cpc exempt in a tanker and driving on a log book instead of taco?
Its all confusing,
Then isn’t there a rule that a mechanic can drive a truck for maintenance but no more than, 60 miles from base?

Just better getting the cpc card ain’t it, worry free then, ish

Just be careful about mix’n’match of the various exemptions and when they apply or not. The above guidance is handy in that it helps filter out the exemptions.
Also be careful about driver’s claiming they are exempt for things work for water company. The water / sewage type exemptions are not as straight forward as simply doing water/ sewage work.

I just think he should get his cpc done. No messing about then is there, it’s alright arguing with dvsa saying you don’t need one, they’ll probably just fine you and let you argue it later, not worth the hassle,

He is a relief driver aswell but only does maybe one or two days a week, plus covers holidays,

I’d suggest the times he is acting as relief driver, it IS his main job at that moment, so a CPC card is required.

What the exemptions are attempting to cover are where a vehicle needs to be moved for other reasons related to other work (e.g. maintenance) that is NOT to do with “driving” or otherwise hauling goods/people for money.

I think if he got caught, he’d be in trouble.

jimroyale:
I just think he should get his cpc done. No messing about then is there, it’s alright arguing with dvsa saying you don’t need one, they’ll probably just fine you and let you argue it later, not worth the hassle,

There is not a single argument (from what you have described) against having CPC if he drives for 5 mins as a relief driver. The only exemption he has is driving as a mechanic, which you don’t say that he does. It’s no different to driving without insurance, the only risk he is running is that he might not get caught.