New driver card

I’m sure this will have been asked before and i have looked :smiley:

New tacho has arrived. The “start of validity” date on it is 24/09/20. Can I start using it now or do I have to wait until that date? Cheers!

Personally I’d be happier waiting until it was actually valid.

the maoster:

That’s what I’m swaying towards too! It’s just I’ve known people start using them right away so a little unsure!

thesaint99:

the maoster:

That’s what I’m swaying towards too! It’s just I’ve known people start using them right away so a little unsure!

I’m no expert but I’d imagine that was for replacement cards issued after the original was lost/damaged

Funny enough my card expires today. New one starts tomorrow.
It came with a letter telling you use it on start date shown on new card.
Check dates your see see.
My old card expires. 10 Aug new one starts 11 Aug.
Also don’t forget to download your old card. And keep hold of it for 28 days just in case you get stopped

According to the rules, you are only permitted to possess one valid card - so you should wait until the existing one expires before starting to use the new one. Bear in mind that if you happen to be driving at midnight when the old card expires, the head unit will spit it out and you will then be driving without a card…

Cheers for the replies everyone. I’ll keep the new one in the house for now!

As far as I’m aware the new card wont work until the date its due to start.

I may have tried this in the past, you know, for, um, testing purpoises :wink:

You can’t use it until it’s valid. If you insert it the head unit will just say card expired and if you start driving it will be flashing at you saying driving without card.

Priceless Roy…what a bloke,lovely guy…met him once a few years back, a mind of information.Bandy legs though and drives a two seater…only joking…two seater was nice. :stuck_out_tongue: