New driver but struggling getting started?

Thought I’d share this with any other new(ish) class 1 drivers out there. I’d been driving rigids for seven years and although I quickly passed my class 1 six years ago I never felt confident reversing so stuck to what I found easy.

I’m one of those people who won’t do something if I don’t feel confident that I can do it well. Over the years I’d had a few class 1 assessments that were all fine until I was asked to put a trailer on a bay and then I’d be told to come back and try again when I’ve got a bit more experience!

A month or so ago I finally took the leap and got in touch with a decent sized local family firm who agreed to take me on and it’s been amazing. My reversing has come on so much in such a short time. I really can’t believe I ■■■■■■ around for so long :frowning: Literally every day it’s gets better and better.

Useful tips if you’ve been holding back like I was:

Curtain siders are the way to go! You’ll very rarely have to reverse onto a bay in-between two other trailers worrying about ■■■■■■■■ mirrors with an audience of laughing truckers! Usually there’s a big space for you to manoeuvre into as a fork lift will need to get at both sides of you!

Without exception, every delivery or collection I’ve done I’ve been met with friendly folk who are only too happy to tell you the best way into the yard, how to turn around, where to park up, etc, etc. This has been so reassuring as I was genuinely worried about people being ■■■■■■ off with a new driver coming on site.

Practise reversing whenever you can. I often go to a national hub during the daytime which is pretty quiet - a great opportunity to spend a few minutes trying to get into a tight space.

Check where you’re going before you leave. Google aerial view is brilliant and you can check out where you’re heading, what the access is like, whether you’ll be able to get in/out easily.

Take your time and avoid getting yourself into trouble. If I’m not sure about access into a site or if I’m worried I might not be able to get out easily I’ll stop and park up outside, walk in and chat to the staff. It might slow you down in the first few weeks but it’ll stop thing going wrong.

So don’t put if off - go for it! I’m so glad I did. Eventually :slight_smile:

All great advice mate , nothing wrong in checking where your going and what access is like before you get there rather than rock up and get a surprise [emoji106]

Gaz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk