New driver advice

Hi I am a newbie on this forum and was wondering if anyone had any advice to a newly qualified class 2 driver looking to find work in the industry due to no experience at the moment ,would love to hear positive advice regarding this topic please :smiley:

Definitely thick skin as you will get a lot of knock backs at first , but dont lose heart keep at em and eventually someone will give you a chance , try all the local hauliers in your area going ready to go , ie smartish and high viz , boots etc in car (just in case) talk to drivers they may know of a chance at the place they work , apply for everything as once you have that chance to prove yourself other things seem to come along after , just be willing and enthusiastic and you never know :wink:

All good points Jennie.

Where is the OP based as it may help for those in the know of any work?

My nephew passed his LGV C recently & managed to get a job within days despite having an unspent DR10 on his licence. So it is possible, you just need to know where to look.

My nephews not enjoying it though. He was forced out of the building trade (dry lining & taping) cos some bloke called ‘Mario’ is prepared to do it for £6.50ph. He’s now driving a road sweeper for . . . . £6.50ph ! (& this is after spending the best part of £1500 on his licence).

Still, I guess being sat on your arse all day for £6.50ph is better than breaking your balls for the same crap money?

The company that set him on goes thru’ drivers like a dodgy kebab goes thru your body. There must be a plentifull supply of eager recruits, ready willing & able to jump into the driving seat if the stories I’ve heard about this company from those who’ve moved on are anything to go by.

He’s only there 'cos his uncle has promised him a nice earner with his old boss as soon as he’s got 2yrs experience under his belt & the DR10 is spent & this is one of the few companies within reasonable travelling distance who’ll bother to interview a newbie.

It’s a big industry that employs 100’s of 1000’s. There will always be jobs going 'cos there’s this thing called ‘churn’ (look it up). But the industry isn’t expanding, so they’re not actually crying out for new drivers, they’re crying out for cheaper drivers who’ll work in conditions not unfamiliar to your great great grandad.

If you’re prepared to do the jobs that more experienced drivers wouldn’t, at a cheaper rate than the folk doing it currently, for a company that will treat you with utter contempt, or if you are stoopid / very, very green, then the jobs are out there.

Sorry for high jacking the thread, but a lot of places around me only seem to use article.
I’ve got my class C now and I want to get out there.
Anyone know of any places to try around Chester/Liverpool/Manchester or North Wales.

Hi thanks all for the advice greatly appreciated ,for the person wAnting to know where I am ,I am living in cardiff but would be prepared to travel with in reason to get into class 2 work

Keep positive TJ, you may find the VOSA website that lists applications, it may list firms or small firms that are adding to their fleet, you can then google the firm to find the contact details and give them a call or drive round to see them, it may be an owner driver starting out, and he/she may need a holiday or cover for sickness.
I have found emailing firms a waste of time, they get ignored.
Some say keep the car full of all the kit you need and start banging on transport firms doors, you never know your luck if a driver calls in sick that day.
It does not matter if you have to wash trucks on a saturday, that way you get to find out if any jobs or going, and drivers may tell you of other firms looking for drivers.
An advert in the truck mags, they are free to place, i got two calls from this.
Even doing parcel van multi drop is good experience, are there farmers in your area after drivers.?
Try the Eures/Gumtree and Rapido employment websites.
Removal firms, hard and heavy lifting, some go to Europe, Cadogan and Tate have an advert on their door at Acton Lane at Park Royale in London after drivers. :slight_smile:

Try the local Bin companies. Serco,Biffa,Veola,Shanks run contracts to collect Municipal Waste & if you can find out what agencys they use, you might find a way in.
This type of work is not for everybody but at least it’s a way of getting experience.

Washing trucks is a good start to get in to a firm and keep the ears open for drivers leaving or new contracts to put your name down for, before they place an advert in the paper or on line to beat the queue.

When i passed mine the first thing i did was write a letter, basically explaining how i’d got my licence and was seeking work, spent some time making it presentable an then i grabbed the yellow pages and went to the transport and logistics section, i sent the letter to every local firm that was listed, i must of sent 30 letters. dont be disheartened when the replys dont roll in the next day because out of 30 letter i only got 1 reply, but that one reply landed me a job. Shows iniative and willingness etc etc. and that your keen an prepared to work. worth a try :slight_smile:

martinviking:
Try the local Bin companies. Serco,Biffa,Veola,Shanks run contracts to collect Municipal Waste & if you can find out what agencys they use, you might find a way in.
This type of work is not for everybody but at least it’s a way of getting experience.

Also the food service companies.

Long hours and a lot of splitting down of pallets.

It’s not for everyone but it got me my first real experience.