New driver advice

I completely understand this may sound absolutely ridiculous but I’m at a bit of a loss as of what to do! I passed my class 2 a few months back and am looking to go into class 1 as soon as possible really! Problem is, I’m really struggling with a lack of confidence at the moment and being locked in for nearly 2 years has done wonders beating down my self esteem.
I haven’t yet taken the plunge and found work for my class 2 and I’m dreading having to go through the whole process and the knock backs that come with it…. Baring just manning up and getting on with it, do any of you have any suggestions or are in the same boat?

Sorry to hear you are struggling with confidence and self-esteem. I think you’ve answered your own question though. (I’m assuming it’s not the driving that is causing you to struggle).

I’m dreading having to go through the whole process and the knock backs that come with it

A quick look at your previous posts tells me you have already smashed this because

I passed my class 2

So remind yourself of how you overcame the knockbacks and ultimately succeeded in your goal.

One of the things that may be holding you back is the numerous directions you could take, and also maybe, having read some posts on here that will have you believe there is a kind of initiation for new drivers and you have to do something you don’t like for a few years. There is so much choice. Having a clear plan might help. You could do worse than seek out and contact a couple of companies that are actively recruiting new passes have a new driver coaching program or similar and start from there.

Delighted to have passed the Mod 4 test today. I’ve now completed the theory, hazard, Mod 2 & 4 and 3A, All for class c

Just the actual driving exam now which will either be Thursday or Friday. Can’t praise my instructor enough though, great at explaining and talking you through it.

Sorry wrong thread for this

I passed my Class 2 in Oct 2020 but for personal reasons I couldn’t get started for almost a year. I eventually landed a good job at Clipper via an Agency in Sept 2021 and have been on a steep learning curve since then, now almost 5 months on and I’m still with them.

I’ve found all the other drivers to be nothing but a huge help, I’ve had so much excellent advice that I feel like a veteran (I know I’m not). Really practical, day to day stuff that makes the job run smoother and more manageable for a new driver.

On top of that, the Transport Office staff are really helpful, not just to me but in general.

There are some good companies out there, some great people and the job is like any other in that it’s a learning curve. Just drive at your own level, take your time when you need to and if you’re not sure about something then err on the side of caution, at the end of the day it’s your career, your job and you’re the one behind the wheel so don’t be pressured by anyone or anything. Familiarity with the truck, the roads, other drivers or pedestrians and the job itself will build your confidence.

Good Luck

Great story to inspire other newbies, thanks :slight_smile: