New Driver, Advice about Breaks

> fuse:
> caught the back end of log books 1973 , mine were always correct :neutral_face:

All of ours were correct, we just had to remember which one to show :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Juddian:
The bad old days eh? 12.5 hours max start to finish, .

Yep.I remember it well, when I first got into this job, the days we worked sensible hours instead of the ridiculous 15 on/9 off ā– ā– ā– ā–  takeā€¦AND today of all times, in the days of (supposed) sh. hot health & safety :open_mouth: ā€¦aye right.

It makes me laugh on here from time to time,.and not in a good way, when you say todayā€™s hours are ridiculously too long,.and the teararse clowns who love it all, invariably tell us ā€¦
ā€˜ā€˜Well if you donā€™t like itā€™ā€™ etc etcā€¦followed by ā€˜ā€˜Itā€™s the nature of the jobā€™ā€™ and ā€˜ā€˜Thatā€™s the way itā€™s ALWAYS beenā€™ā€™ :unamused: :laughing:
Is it ā– ā– ā– ā– . :smiling_imp:
And this is the result,.drivers readily and willingly trying their utmost to work to the last drop of blood in terms of minutes and secondsā€¦ and discussing how to achieve some near hand impossible (and ridiculous to those who know better) schedule. :unamused:

robroy:

Juddian:

Yep.I remember it well, when I first got into this job, the days we worked sensible hours instead of the ridiculous 15 on/9 off ā– ā– ā– ā–  takeā€¦AND today of all times, in the days of (supposed) sh. hot health & safety :open_mouth: ā€¦aye right.

It makes me laugh on here from time to time,.and not in a good way, when you say todayā€™s hours are ridiculously too long,.and the teararse clowns who love it all, invariably tell us ā€¦
ā€˜ā€˜Well if you donā€™t like itā€™ā€™ etc etcā€¦followed by ā€˜ā€˜Itā€™s the nature of the jobā€™ā€™ and ā€˜ā€˜Thatā€™s the way itā€™s ALWAYS beenā€™ā€™ :unamused: :laughing:
Is it [zb]. :smiling_imp:
And this is the result,.drivers readily and willingly trying their utmost to work to the last drop of blood in terms of minutes and secondsā€¦ and discussing how to achieve some near hand impossible (and ridiculous to those who know better) schedule. :unamused:

With respect mate thatā€™s easy for you to say if youā€™re on a cushy number with years of experience.
Canā€™t really blame the agency bods for doing it if it pays well 2 nights a week. Can you honestly say you wouldnā€™t have done it when you were starting out if it paid?

Didnā€™t drivers drive for longer hours before digicards?

Conor:
OK so Iā€™ve just Google mapped both Tankersley and where Iā€™m at at Howden to our Bellshill subbys depot.

Itā€™s 234 miles from Tankersley, itā€™s 233 miles from Howden - both places youā€™re going the A1M, A66 route. Looking at the industrial area at Tankersley we both have the same distance to the motorway, about a mile or so tops.

Assuming an absolutely perfect run, one of our fastest motors and literally a couple of minutes driving in the yard setting off with no traffic delays or roadworks whatsoever and sitting on the limiter over the A66, and I mean sitting on it literally slowing down only for the 40MPH section at Kirkby Thore where the speed cameras are the furthest Iā€™m making it is Hamilton services. From experience of doing that over the last 20 odd years Iā€™m pulling into Hamilton services with my arse nipping with at best 5 minutes left - if I do the speed limits on the single carriageway sections Iā€™m not making Hamilton, if I get held up by the traffic lights at Penrith, especially on the roundabout at J40 where you can get hit by three sets of reds, Iā€™m not making Hamilton or if I am Iā€™m running in with a minute or two left. I certainly donā€™t have enough time to drive the extra 8 miles to the Bellshill depot and especially have even a few minutes Iā€™d need in the yard.

We do not do Bellshill, even though technically each driver could do it twice a week. We have typically 10 wagons a night in two lots of 5 doing a night trunk up with Scottish loads and we do a changeover. Used to be Lockerbie truckstop, now just a bit before then, when itā€™s quieter then some will change over at Penrith truckstop. What my company does is send up half the wagons on an early trunk to meet and change over with the Scottish drivers then send the other half up 4hrs later. The Scottish drivers do the first change over then bob back up to Bellshill, drop off, pick up another trailer then go back down to the change over to meet the drivers from the later trunk run. Works OK, nobody is running to the limit, to their max hours, nobody is stressed.

Iā€™ve heard howdens is moving to eurocentral. Wincanton this time. Howdens is like a ā– ā– ā– ā–  in Scotland every few years it pumps someone else. Everyoneā€™s had a shot at it. Used to do Bellshill to Runcorn 10 odd year ago when dhl had it and that was fairly tight time wise especially if you had a full load of timber going south.

md1987:

robroy:

Juddian:

Is it [zb]. :smiling_imp:

With respect mate thatā€™s easy for you to say if youā€™re on a cushy number with years of experience.
Canā€™t really blame the agency bods for doing it if it pays well 2 nights a week. Can you honestly say you wouldnā€™t have done it when you were starting out if it paid?

Didnā€™t drivers drive for longer hours before digicards?

To answer your last pointā€¦Some drivers have always driven longer hours on non digi cards, but that was up to them,.although a bit thick imo risking livliehoods, licences, (and in many cases freedom) to make extra money for some crappy unscrupulous employer.

Tbh I myself wrote the bloody book on fiddling techniques in the 80s when it was a free for all, but that was for MY benefit on MY own truckā€¦not justifying just saying how it was.

As for your first point,.yeh fair comment but reading the ladā€™s post it was he himself who offered to just do the 2 legal shifts, as far as I can gather the job was same shift all week presumably 5 days.

Look,.I ainā€™t knocking anybody for trying to make extra cash and/or maximise earnings, but it becomes a problem when employers literally expect you to work it, to the point of being ran ragged, which compromises road safety due to long hours running tired, ā€¦and to add another layer to it, it becomes an even bigger problem when some drivers HAVE to do it, for whatever reason especially being put under pressure to achieve it,.also.especially if that reason is just to make a half decent wage, instead of a brilliant wage which is what it should be for a derisory and ridiculous 70+ hour week in 2022.
As I said where is the correlation with those hours on a 44 tonne truck on busy roads with their health and ā– ā– ā– ā–  safety which is otherwise sooo important. :unamused:

Yorkshire Tramper:

robroy:
Donā€™t know the lad, maybe heā€™s sound,.maybe heā€™s sensible who knows.
But a tenner says he wonā€™t take a blind bit of notice, and just go at it like a bull.at a gate to get his foot in the door,.as many do and have in the past.

So I agreed the bet with you for a tenner and being fair had I lost I would have paid up, shall I send you my PayPal account details? :smiley: :smiley:

its 2022 not 1822. I still struggle with the concept of of a workforce who are are happy to be TOLD to work 60+ hours a week.

Run 3hrs take a 45ā€¦ run 3hrs take another 45
Then when back see how much driving time you have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dafproblems:

Conor:
OK so Iā€™ve just Google mapped both Tankersley and where Iā€™m at at Howden to our Bellshill subbys depot.

Itā€™s 234 miles from Tankersley, itā€™s 233 miles from Howden - both places youā€™re going the A1M, A66 route. Looking at the industrial area at Tankersley we both have the same distance to the motorway, about a mile or so tops.

Assuming an absolutely perfect run, one of our fastest motors and literally a couple of minutes driving in the yard setting off with no traffic delays or roadworks whatsoever and sitting on the limiter over the A66, and I mean sitting on it literally slowing down only for the 40MPH section at Kirkby Thore where the speed cameras are the furthest Iā€™m making it is Hamilton services. From experience of doing that over the last 20 odd years Iā€™m pulling into Hamilton services with my arse nipping with at best 5 minutes left - if I do the speed limits on the single carriageway sections Iā€™m not making Hamilton, if I get held up by the traffic lights at Penrith, especially on the roundabout at J40 where you can get hit by three sets of reds, Iā€™m not making Hamilton or if I am Iā€™m running in with a minute or two left. I certainly donā€™t have enough time to drive the extra 8 miles to the Bellshill depot and especially have even a few minutes Iā€™d need in the yard.

We do not do Bellshill, even though technically each driver could do it twice a week. We have typically 10 wagons a night in two lots of 5 doing a night trunk up with Scottish loads and we do a changeover. Used to be Lockerbie truckstop, now just a bit before then, when itā€™s quieter then some will change over at Penrith truckstop. What my company does is send up half the wagons on an early trunk to meet and change over with the Scottish drivers then send the other half up 4hrs later. The Scottish drivers do the first change over then bob back up to Bellshill, drop off, pick up another trailer then go back down to the change over to meet the drivers from the later trunk run. Works OK, nobody is running to the limit, to their max hours, nobody is stressed.

Iā€™ve heard howdens is moving to eurocentral. Wincanton this time. Howdens is like a ā– ā– ā– ā–  in Scotland every few years it pumps someone else. Everyoneā€™s had a shot at it. Used to do Bellshill to Runcorn 10 odd year ago when dhl had it and that was fairly tight time wise especially if you had a full load of timber going south.

This post made me laugh tonight. Had one pass me on the A50 and was calling it a ā– ā– ā– ā–  hah