New Driver, Advice about Breaks

Good for you mate and good luck finding something a bit more normal.

Juddian:
Tell you what that job is mate, its a killer, just entering winter going well north, freezing fog snow ice etc are inevitable, what might be feasable on a quiet moonlight summer night is a whole different kettle of fish when the weather changes, remember you’ll be in the dark the whole shift, you are right to only agree to 2 days but youy just know they’re going to try and force you (peter’s gone sick, charlie’s kid is in hospital etc) to do more.

Good point. This time of year the weather is mostly poor going up there. Not particularly pleasant when it’s strong winds. Been terrible for fog too this past couple of week.

Barnsley is a bit far really lol, should be a changeover.

dannyp0000:
Hi thanks everyone for your advice i really appreciate it,

I dont want to be one of those idiots who try their luck and end up stuck, no driving hours left, no plan etc etc.

Its also possible depending on any closures ill end up over 10 hour drive and not make it back as this run leaves no leeway for anything to go wrong.

Ive decided to cut my losses and look for something else without the stress/constant clock watching and racing about needed just to get there and back in time. Just not worth it. Thanks again everyone.

Well.said that man, you should feel proud of yourself for your professional approach and stance. :sunglasses:
But rest assured some f/whit will sure as hell take the job…and achieve the schedules. :unamused:

If more took that attitude, these crappy type ■■■■ take firms who want the last drop of blood out of their drivers,.without any thought towards their welfare with an ‘‘I’ll just leave it with you get on with it’’ attitude would not get away with it,.and cease to exist,…while the rest of us said…good riddance.

Got a task for you, … :imp:
When you give back word, and a reason for it, point the guy in the office to this forum and this thread :grimacing:
I dare you. :laughing:

There are bound to be plenty of agency jobs this time of year, or you could go to the dark side,.and go tramping. :open_mouth: :wink: :smiley:
Good luck anyhoo.

dannyp0000:
Hi thanks everyone for your advice i really appreciate it,

I dont want to be one of those idiots who try their luck and end up stuck, no driving hours left, no plan etc etc.

Its also possible depending on any closures ill end up over 10 hour drive and not make it back as this run leaves no leeway for anything to go wrong.

Ive decided to cut my losses and look for something else without the stress/constant clock watching and racing about needed just to get there and back in time. Just not worth it. Thanks again everyone.

Well done, on a good decision.

There are a few posts in this thread, bemoaning young/new drivers taking jobs like this and tear arseing up n down the road.
Not many use TNUK, with it’s huge depth of range of knowledge and experience. They’re unlikely to get advise like this.
There are other outlets, like Faceache (an old folks medium), twitter, twich, instagram etc. Populated by younger folks, in the same boat.
Don’t forget they’re often trying to get that magical 2 years experience, any way they can.
When you’re offered a start with a company and they give you a job like this, you jump at it. You’ve got your foot in the door at last.
You don’t know it’s a virtually impossible job, you don’t have any experience to know better. And there’s no-one to tell you otherwise.
And that’s partly why the job is deteriorating. One of many reasons.
Us older, more experienced drivers wouldn’t touch this with a bargepole. We’d probably not even touch the company on another job.
So young lads take this job on. Learn that the only way to get on is to get on with the job. And even when they move on to greener pastures, carry on getting on with the job in the same way. It’s self perpetuating.

robroy:
Don’t know the lad, maybe he’s sound,.maybe he’s sensible who knows.
But a tenner says he won’t take a blind bit of notice, and just go at it like a bull.at a gate to get his foot in the door,.as many do and have in the past.

So I agreed the bet with you for a tenner and being fair had I lost I would have paid up, shall I send you my PayPal account details? :smiley: :smiley:

Yorkshire Tramper:

robroy:
But a tenner says he won’t take a blind bit of notice, and just go at it like a bull.at a gate to get his foot in the door,.as many do and have in the past.

So I agreed the bet with you for a tenner and being fair had I lost I would have paid up, shall I send you my PayPal account details? :smiley: :smiley:

You just can’t rely on drivers these days. :unamused: :smiley:
If I gave a tenner to everybody on here, it would be a bleak Christmas. :smiley:

Tell ya what, I promise to give another tenner to my favourite charity…seriously btw. :sunglasses:

Another factor this time of year… weather. Its gets bad yo that way sometimes and while you might get through it will also slow you down significantly if you do manage to through.

Personally think youve done the right thing in terms of the job. That’s a lot to be expecting out of anyone.

Yorkshire Tramper:

robroy:

Making a bet, after the horses have completed the course, is not good form old chap :laughing:

Simon:

Yorkshire Tramper:

robroy:

Making a bet, after the horses have completed the course, is not good form old chap :laughing:

It makes perfect sense and a sure bet. :smiley:

That duty seems like a trampers duty or a doubled manned duty. They are simply trying to save money but no having an additional driver go with you. That run will drain you aswell as make you rush. I am no expert but according to where i work its actaully illegal to plan any duty longer than 13 hours. I am aware you can work to max 15 but as far as planning i dont know if the 13 hour rule is my company policy or a legal requirement.

Maybe someone can kindly share their knowledge on this.

Asad_uk:
That duty seems like a trampers duty or a doubled manned duty. They are simply trying to save money but no having an additional driver go with you. That run will drain you aswell as make you rush. I am no expert but according to where i work its actaully illegal to plan any duty longer than 13 hours. I am aware you can work to max 15 but as far as planning i dont know if the 13 hour rule is my company policy or a legal requirement.

You can legally plan someone for a thirty hour day if you so wish. The legal ramifications come into effect once you coerce a person to break the law.

Many thanks. It must be a company policy then. .:slight_smile:

the maoster:

Asad_uk:

You can legally plan someone for a thirty hour day if you so wish. The legal ramifications come into effect once you coerce a person to break the law.

And in reality unscrupulous operators know a new driver being desperate to get that start will do all they can to comply with whatever the boss says can be done or wants done.
Grossly unfair to the new driver who should really be taking it easy learning the ropes, instead of which having to rush around like a blue arsed fly from the moment they start and likely to take short cuts and bend the rules to keep the job rolling.
One would hope DVSA keeps a beady eye on these forums, can maybe work out who the operator is and make a note to keep an eye on them.

I’d say no chance doing it on 9 hours.
Can just about do Trafford park to bellshill in 9 .
And that’s literally motorway all the way.
The way your going takes you motorway and a 66 so can’t floor it all the way.
So either way you need to stop for 2 x45 min breaks.
So realistically you could only do this run twice a week. As only allowed two 10 hrs drive a week.

Stopping wise upto you really. When ever you feel tired.
Personally I’d stop anyware on M6 bothways.
Could Always try it 1st trip up see if it’s possible worst case you can drop into Hamilton services for your break which is about 10 mins from.bellshill

I would not call the transport person a planner ,there are to many things that must go your way …there are lots of people that will do it ,you will live longer and enjoy the job better working for people who know how to plan transport let some other ■■■■■■■■■ do it.

Have to factor in night time road closures. Plus this time of the year bad wether and snow will slow you down

For your 1st run there id be tempted to just go for it see how far you get see if it is possible.
Worst happens you got cairn.lodge services or Hamilton services to stop at.

End of the day if you need to stop for a break on the way it’s upto you where you stop not an office etc.
If you feel tired stop.
If your feeling fine then carry on the choice is yours.
Just don’t run and run to your 4 half hours driving as where you plan to stop might not be any spaces etc
Only issue doing nights no matter where ever you stop everything be shut apart from toilets.
There’s few truckstops on route but they all shut For food etc about 10 .
Also if you do 2 stops after each stop write down your driving time on bit of paper at each stop so can add them up work out how much driving you’ve done/have left.
Unless your truck displays tells you.

Just found a 1976 log book again, I knew I’d got a Scotch in there somewhere: Paddock Wood to Renfrew via Rutherglen. Total driving time fourteen and a quarter hours to Renfrew. Made Kendal the 1st day. Didn’t get loaded until 10am Tuesday back Saturday. Average speed day one 37.09 mph. Then day 3 to Morecambe via Dunblane and Kinross. 1051 miles covered 33 hrs driving recorded.

cav551:
Just found a 1976 log book again, I knew I’d got a Scotch in there somewhere: Paddock Wood to Renfrew via Rutherglen. Total driving time fourteen and a quarter hours to Renfrew. Made Kendal the 1st day. Didn’t get loaded until 10am Tuesday back Saturday. Average speed day one 37.09 mph. Then day 3 to Morecambe via Dunblane and Kinross. 1051 miles covered 33 hrs driving recorded.

Well found, from the days when you wrote down the froms/to’s rather than the later type book when you drew lines according to what you were doing…or am i confusing the latter type with doing a manual entry on the back of a tacho disc?

The bad old days eh? 12.5 hours max start to finish, time for a pie and a pint and chin wag with other drivers.

caught the back end of log books 1973 , mine were always correct :neutral_face:

Juddian:

cav551:

Well found, from the days when you wrote down the froms/to’s rather than the later type book when you drew lines according to what you were doing…or am i confusing the latter type with doing a manual entry on the back of a tacho disc?

The bad old days eh? 12.5 hours max start to finish, time for a pie and a pint and chin wag with other drivers.

That was while waiting for the Gardner to slow down enough to engage the next higher gear. :smiley: