New digi card

Got my new card from the local dvla office today, got it downloaded at work before hand ofcourse, is it true that it cant be uploaded back on?

Im abit worried about not having 28 days records on me.

Thanks

The data is just copied and not removed from the card.

Alcpone:
Got my new card from the local dvla office today, got it downloaded at work before hand ofcourse, is it true that it cant be uploaded back on?

Im abit worried about not having 28 days records on me.

Thanks

If you mean your concerned that the data previously downloaded from an old card cannot be put onto your new card then it’s absolutely true :wink:

You can download or read from a driver card but you cannot write data onto it.

I suppose you could ask your office bod to print out the information from the computer for the last 28 days work so VOSA could see it, obviously if you were stopped in the next 28 days you would explain that you had to exchange the old card for whatever reason, I believe they can easily check this so relax :wink:

Ok thanks, just didnt fancy getting a fine :slight_smile:

I got my new card from my local VOSA station when I changed address, just wonder if they do have a look see, to keep an eye on what I had been doing, after all they hold much more than 28 days data, in some cases over 12 months.

I question whether carrying a copy of the companies computer records would help you. Didn’t Geebee45 recently mention the only thing they, (VOSA) would be interested in would be a digital card data or a VU printout?

I`m currently in possession of 2 Digi cards in my name.

1 expires 25/1/11
The other is valid from 26/1/11

Wheel Nut:
I question whether carrying a copy of the companies computer records would help you. Didn’t Geebee45 recently mention the only thing they, (VOSA) would be interested in would be a digital card data or a VU printout?

Under normal circumstances I agree VOSA wouldn’t be interested in a computer printout but given that we’re talking about a situation where the old card is no longer available I thought maybe a computer printout may be better than nothing.

Having said that the previous 28 days records may not be available anyway unless the old card was downloaded before it was replaced.

Yeah I had it downloaded before hand, so in theory I wont want to hand in my digi card for another 5 weeks?

Out of curiosity, why did you need a new card ?

Change of address mate.

In a roadside check you are just required to present your digi card and there is nothing in the regulations which stipulates how much data must be on the digi card. If you are stopped and the card is checked and only contains a couple of days records then you have done nothing wrong and have fully complied with the requirement to carry and present your digi card. No need to go carrying printouts or any thing else, unless you also have charts for the period. Obviously you could explain why the card has very little data on it if you wish but VOSA will be able to see why for themselves as the replacement card is a matter of record.

Thanks for the info coffee :slight_smile:

I have always thought, what if work takes too many days off my card, I wonder why 28 days plus the current day gets banded about?

28 days is the required records you need to supply at the roadside under the Driver hours and tachograph regulations, whether Digi or analogue , your Digi card will keep recording data for longer than 28 days and enforcement agencies will be able to see all the data on your Digi card and not just the 28 days thats required

Cards should be downloaded within the 28 days , but the data stays on your Digi card its just copied when its downloaded not wiped off

Your records are also stored in the vehicle unit ( VU ) for at least 12 months, and again are available to view dowload or print by any enforcement agency with a Digi control card with the relevant permissions

If you are issued with a new card because your old Digi card is going to expire , you shouldnt use your new card untill the start date on the new card and you should retain your old Digicard download it and keep it with you for a period of 28 days in case you neeed to produce the 28 days records at the roadside

Alcpone:
Thanks for the info coffee :slight_smile:

I have always thought, what if work takes too many days off my card, I wonder why 28 days plus the current day gets banded about?

Work can’t take days of your card, downloading the card does not remove the data and it stays there until it is eventually overwritten, which must be at least 28 days but in reality will be far longer. One of my cards had records on it going back 11 months.