New cycle-safety standard for construction vehicles

Just reading an article on CM and wonder if this makes sense or not

As well as the rear-facing camera, the CLOCS standard requires Class VI mirrors no more than 2m away from the ground to be fitted to all vehicles.

Now there’s no way I could reach up and touch the forward facing mirror above my windscreen, the bottom of the screen is about 2m high. I’m sure that the same applies for most vehicles affected.

Just found something on TFL website

Class VI mirrors shall be fitted to all vehicles
where they can be mounted, with no part of
the mirror being less than two metres from
the ground.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/freight/documents/standard-for-construction-logistics-lr.pdf

This is what T F L want construction lorrys to look like.It at
the bottom of the page .

mayorwatch.co.uk/transport-f … /201328923

fingermissing:
This is what T F L want construction lorrys to look like.It at
the bottom of the page .

mayorwatch.co.uk/transport-f … /201328923

shares in dennis should rocket shortly,as it looks like their bin lorrys from the 80s ffs…truckie street cred,minus 10.

What planet are these people on? Those Econic and low cab motors are only suitable for nice smooth roads, they’ll be laying tarmac across the sites next so they have a nice smooth run.

Can’t see these lasting very well in construction. Tippers and the like run on heavier higher chassis for a reason.

I’m going to shock a few people here and be positive; The Merc and Dennis dustcart cabs could be reconfigured to make a good truck if the chassis height could be altered. Walk through cabs would be handy on roadworks, narrow country lanes etc.

Loses the point somewhat though if you alter the chassis height you lose visibility.

I had the experience of a low height cab today, I stopped to load in a country lane where the bank alongside was same height as the bed (4’) and I could step straight from cab and walk along and step on the body twas like having a muddy catwalk :laughing: :laughing:

8wheels:
Loses the point somewhat though if you alter the chassis height you lose visibility.

Not necessarily; My MAN sits high and has excellent visibility.