New curvaceous lorries

New curvaceous lorries aim to save cyclists’ live

bbc.co.uk/news/business-23152918

It doesn’t cost ■■■■ all to tell a cyclist it’s not safe to go down the inside of a large vehicle at lights or junctions even if they are not turning left! :unamused: they just don’t listen some of the Lycra brigade,just look at the vids from other cyclists showing others cutting between turning vehicles etc. plus I’ve had cyclists hold on to my trailer and even my mirrors of my unit when I’m stood at lights :confused: :open_mouth:

Lorries probaly will lokk like that in about 20 year. No mirrors would be really hard to adjust to but we all know why lorries are flat at the front…cargo space is king

Cyclist need more training, and to have made an offence to cycle up the inside of any vehicle, and double the fine if its a truck. Then whilst we are at it, lets get them registered, insured, and licenced, thats just for starters, then make sure all cycles have front and rear lights.

The cyclists have just jumped on a band-wagon: these trucks are designed to save fuel on the motorway not to provide a cycle-friendly adventure playground in towns.

Being hi by one would just be like being hit by a bus or coach: the impact would be as bad, just less chance of getting squashed.

truckingtopics.co.uk/bonnettruckseu.html

for the real story.

truckyboy:
Cyclist need more training, and to have made an offence to cycle up the inside of any vehicle, and double the fine if its a truck. Then whilst we are at it, lets get them registered, insured, and licenced, thats just for starters, then make sure all cycles have front and rear lights.

+1

Spotted one of these in Northwich the other day.

Mirrors strapped onto traffic lights, lets you see into your blindspot and you can’t help but see it when you check the lights.

So simple, so cheap, so effective.

rob22888:
Spotted one of these in Northwich the other day.

Mirrors strapped onto traffic lights, lets you see into your blindspot and you can’t help but see it when you check the lights.

So simple, so cheap, so effective.

Except for when it’s dark, wet or temps below freezing.

All cyclists would be wearing all the high visibility gear along with good lighting in those conditions though.

Oh wait…

Cyclists seem to be a hot topic on here at the moment and I remember the buggers pulling up my inside at traffic lights unless I got so close to the kerb they had to mount the pavement.

Not that I’m saying they don’t have a right to be on the roads (well certain roads) just that there needs to be some more training for cyclists and perhaps a compulsory proficiency test, and not the one we did at infant school.

I’m a cycler myself but being fully aware of the dangers of sitting up the inside of large vehicle in their blind spot I like to think gives me a bit more awareness.

Oh and those cyclists who choose to travel two abreast that doubles the danger a bit.

So back on topic any truck design that benefits the safety of other road users has to be good, I reckon 10 years and we will be seeing these or similar on the road.

truckyboy:

+2, Oh but wait we don’t want upset them do we! :imp:

Some cyclists really bug me…when I’ve passed on and the traffic comes to a stand further in front they either pass me on the inside (if I’ve left enough room :smiling_imp: ) or they jump on the pavement to pass the traffic then back on the road. Then I have to do it all again :unamused: :unamused: holding other people up who think it’s my fault then at the next stop - traffic lights or whatever it all happens again. The cyclist is too slow for me to stay behind all the way but finds a way of jumping the queue then causing another one :smiling_imp:

dri-diddly-iver:
Some cyclists really bug me…when I’ve passed on and the traffic comes to a stand further in front they either pass me on the inside (if I’ve left enough room :smiling_imp: ) or they jump on the pavement to pass the traffic then back on the road. Then I have to do it all again :unamused: :unamused: holding other people up who think it’s my fault then at the next stop - traffic lights or whatever it all happens again. The cyclist is too slow for me to stay behind all the way but finds a way of jumping the queue then causing another one :smiling_imp:

I got into a huge argument with a bird on a bike who did exactly this on one of the main routes through York town centre some years ago. She’d set off from the lights at the speed of a glacier, pedal a couple of times then just free-wheel along whilst oncoming traffic and the lack of road width made it impossible to pass. Eventually I got past and pulled up tight to the kerb at the next set of lights, only to have her come down the footpath and then position herself in front of the truck again. The 3rd time she did it I got rather finger happy with the air horn button in the 85 I was driving and also got rather shouty at her. Of course naturally it was all my fault and “you shouldn’t even be here in a truck that size, yada yada” :unamused: . I felt like mowing her down. She wasn’t even fit or cute either :imp: .

Rob K:
I got into a huge argument with a bird on a bike who did exactly this on one of the main routes through York town centre some years ago. She’d set off from the lights at the speed of a glacier, pedal a couple of times then just free-wheel along whilst oncoming traffic and the lack of road width made it impossible to pass. Eventually I got past and pulled up tight to the kerb at the next set of lights, only to have her come down the footpath and then position herself in front of the truck again. The 3rd time she did it I got rather finger happy with the air horn button in the 85 I was driving and also got rather shouty at her. Of course naturally it was all my fault and “you shouldn’t even be here in a truck that size, yada yada” :unamused: . I felt like mowing her down. She wasn’t even fit or cute either :imp: .

:smiley: :smiley:

Shall I order one now, or do you think it’s just a publicity stunt?
Wot a load of …

Thereal-john:
Shall I order one now, or do you think it’s just a publicity stunt?
Wot a load of …

You bet, MAN pr guys have got Auntie Beeb (or lazy journalists eating out of their hands) Ford done the self same thing got the Transconti on “2moros world”(any one remember?)as the truck of the future!!

It looks like a steam locomotive from the 1930s,whats modern about that.I am thinking of the L.M.S. Coronation Scot,or a SIR Nigel Gresley A4.

Cyclist CPC

(Tin hat donned and cover taken)

newey91:
Cyclist CPC

Forget it.

Nothing will ever be done that might remotely incovenience cyclists or hit them in the pocket. Therefore, it will stay as it is, whereby any tom ■■■■ or henrietta with no highway code knowledge or road experience can legally jump on a bike and right it down the A30 or London’s busiest routes. :unamused:

I’m not anti-cyclist particularly, they have never caused me any trouble really but theres got to be some responsibility put on the shoulders of people choosing to ride a pedal bike amongst traffic on busy roads. It’s just too heavily one sided at the moment.