New class1 driver lacking confidence reversing

hingley12345:
Thanks guys it’s just when theirs loads of other drivers waiting to get unloaded and they am watching I get nervous I’m looking for someone where I can pay and practice in their yard maybe to get confidence

Best thing you could ever do is have a short term shunting. You’ll gain more reversing experience in a single week than most drivers do in a year. Not long after I passed my test I ended up on a job with the agency where I was shunting in a fairly small yard for 3 months. I’ve never had a problem reversing since except for the usual “why the hell won’t it go where I want it to” moment that we all get from time to time and usually in the places with the most room.

Rule 1 of reversing and the one you’re most likely breaking:

A turn or two to get the trailer to start to turn if you’ve got a fairly significant corner to turn and then a little steering input at a time, no more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the wheel, and give the trailer time to react before adding more lock or taking more lock off.

Most people put loads of lock on or they’re there adding loads of lock or taking loads off as soon as the trailer has started moving back a couple of feet and as a result they end up doing a mile of travel from side to side for every 6ft the trailer moves backwards.

Me to Mr Harry Monk…God knows how I flunk reversing.been doing it for 39 years now…still have to get my line again…but the advice you have been given is good it will come as 2nd nature to you…don’t be afraid to get out an check your blind side 2–3. 4 - times whatever times that make you happy,. And not take of the N/side step…Bumper

I am the same, only passed the bendy test last year (EB loves me for it :laughing: ) after 27 years of going straight…
I don’t have to back onto bays (boys) but I am in tight spaces all the time with my job.
I tell them I am fresh meat if anyone is about when I reverse in a particularly tight spot, but nearly all the time I get it spot on without a single Wolf whistle.
I do how ever try and avoid reversing into tight orifices in the services as there are ofter a lot of people watching and I am shy, plus you never know who had been there before you watering the orifice.

My God I have been reading to many of dipper daves threads :laughing:

Not read the whole thread but I too am an amateur as I have only been driving class 1 since June last year I found the reversing just clicked after a while I found my biggest problem was not taking the lock off quick enough once you have it bending so my tip is try and take the lock off quicker than you think you need to. ( I understand what I mean anyway lol)

Baldy91:
Not read the whole thread but I too am an amateur as I have only been driving class 1 since June last year I found the reversing just clicked after a while I found my biggest problem was not taking the lock off quick enough once you have it bending so my tip is try and take the lock off quicker than you think you need to. ( I understand what I mean anyway lol)

To be honest that’s was an issue I had :wink:

I do love you for it Drifto.

You were in need of encouragement. And lets be honest, if I can drive 'em, there was definitely room for you in artic world too!

eagerbeaver:
I do love you for it Drifto.

You were in need of encouragement. And lets be honest, if I can drive 'em, there was definitely room for you in artic world too!

Yup, you created a big hole to fill, :laughing:

As a newbie , passed test last Feb , my first experience of artic driving was London and back and the only reversing was onto the bay when I got back and that was a nice big area and all I needed to do was put in on the bay so they could get the ramp down plus the artic had a reverse camera fitted . Since the beginning of this year I have been shunting between 2 sites and both are tight the one in particular where you have to reverse blind in a z bend to get back onto the road . Granted you have a banksman but learning that a big lock to get the trailer turn started followed by taking it off virtually straight away gets the turn started for you to make adjustments as needed , also take more space than you think you need as it gives you more manoeuvrability. . Another point is put your head out of the window to watch where the trailer is going as you will find your hand on the wheel automatically turns the way you want without you thinking about it . The biggest thing is don’t be afraid to take a shunt or more as it’s better to shunt than bump :smiley:

Thanks guys 4 all your help do you think it’s worth me paying £360 for 4 hours reversing ?

Evil8Beezle:

Dipper_Dave:

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:
All us Newbie benders lack confidence :

By the way E8b, if ever you are up my way be careful who you tell that you are a ‘Newbie bender’ Especially if you end up in one of our pubs… It has a whole different meaning up here :laughing:
:bulb:
Reckon I have saved you either getting a smack in the teeth, or maybe even making a new…‘‘friend’’ on your visit…depending on which pub. :smiley:

Rob ive had to report your post as its blatant cockblocking.
Ive had a bad few months with my online groomings, even the newbie section is wary of me now. Im gonna have to start looking in the old timers section soon. Fresh meat is getting harder to ■■■ upon these days.

Robroy, it means exactly the same down here in the South, but as I’ve seen that Dipper is getting frustrated, I’m being a tease! :smiley:
I’d give him the number of one of my brothers, but if Dipper has been to the Torture Garden, they may have already met! :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You two are a pair of incurable ■■■■ sick puppies. :unamused:
It’s getting infectious on here now all this homo eroticism, even Drift is on about filling big holes now ffs. :unamused:
:laughing:

hingley12345:
Thanks guys 4 all your help do you think it’s worth me paying £360 for 4 hours reversing ?

:open_mouth: hell no :laughing:

hingley12345:

Definitely not!!!

I’ll do it for you for 300 :laughing: :wink:

Holes, holes who needs a hole filling? :laughing:

hingley12345:

No, if you need to practice do it your works truck in the yard. Stop worrying, everyone struggled with it. I still struggle regularly, but I get round.

Talking of holes I’m strangely reminded of a gay conga line I joined at an ■■■■ once. Poor chap at the front was screaming: “form a circle, quick form a circle”.
So was the chap at the back come to think of it.

Anyway defo don’t pay for any reversing lessons, the best place to learn fast is at the deep end… which reminds me of that conga line again.

Dipper_Dave:
Talking of holes I’m strangely reminded of a gay conga line I joined at an ■■■■ once. Poor chap at the front was screaming: “form a circle, quick form a circle”.
So was the chap at the back come to think of it.

Anyway defo don’t pay for any reversing lessons, the best place to learn fast is at the deep end… which reminds me of that conga line again.

50 years old and now I feel corrupted :laughing:

Uncle Dave has been at the whisky again.

Very disturbed man.

eagerbeaver:
Uncle Dave has been at the whisky again.

Very disturbed man.

You wouldn’t want to live next door to the lovable rouge :laughing:

Ive been in it a year and just kind of got confidence to go backwards lol , this video might help you a tad -
youtu.be/_EkoMib4q4Y

Ps . i work nights and do trailer swaps in truckstops so the situation is never the same each time and 9 out of 10 i have an audience of window lickers . Give me days onto same bays i would have same confidence as james bond on vodka stirred not shaken lol …

hingley12345:

Definitely. I’ll meet you in my yard next Saturday. :stuck_out_tongue: