New Class 2 Pass

Hi All,

I’ve just passed my Class 2 and am going to be doing a gruelling 5 days in a classroom next week to get my CPC out of the way.

I’m well aware that I’ve got a heck of a lot to learn out in the real world and I want to get cracking! I’m after suggestions for jobs where I’d be home every night - I’m Mama to two teens so can’t be doing nights out just yet.

I fancy driving tippers, maybe, but open to suggestions. Any tips? Ideas for companies that’ll give a newbie a chance? I’m in North Manchester :slight_smile:

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

PASSING C.jpg

Thanks ROG :slight_smile:

Possibly your five days mixing with truck drivers will be an opportunity. I would make it known you are new to the industry and you may get some suggestions. There are sometimes even employers themselves present and the trainer would probably have a couple of ideas.
I have not done any tipper work, but I have heard it recommended for entry level work. Possibly a bit dirty on the sites, but you are staying away from a lot of physical work and I believe you are quite often working together with other drivers.
I started on bin lorries after passing class 2. I found it is luck of the draw if you get a good crew that you can work with or not. Pay is usually okay with the council and usually good pension, benefits if you go permanent. Bumps are quite common due to the nature of what you are doing.

Thanks Noremac. I will have an ask about next week and learn what I can.

And I had thought about bin wagons - it would be a baptism of fire, I reckon, but I’m up for that if bumps are fairly common!

you could try wincantons on the concrete mixers.

Alliepallie4:
you could try wincantons on the concrete mixers.

Nice one. I’ll do that :slight_smile:

Quick question… if you’re a fresh pass, shouldn’t you just have to do your mod 4 to get your cpc? 2 hours in a classroom and a 10 minute walk around beats wasting 5 days after all…

Something to do with when I got my car licence.

JoAnarchy:
Something to do with when I got my car licence.

Did you pass your car driving test before 01/01/1997 ?

If so, you have what we call a pre-97 licence, which can make the difference you describe. :smiley:

If you consider doing an ADR course, this will get you another qualification, which may make you more attractive to an employer, as well as obtaining your DCPC hours at the same time.

It’s possibly worth a thought. :smiley:

Yep, dieseldave, you got me! I’m not *actually * 21 [emoji12]

I didn’t realise that I could do the ADR as cpc. I probably would have gone that route if I’d known. There are so many different paths to choose from - don’t know which to choose!

So as a new passer after passing your driving test, you still have to do 35 hours of cpc and then take your practical demonstration test?

Hi Truckerwannabe123 - I’ve had to do 35 hrs of cpc because I passed my car test before 1996 (I think its the right date). So I don’t have to take the cpc case studies test or practical test… It might be different for you?

JoAnarchy:
Hi Truckerwannabe123 - I’ve had to do 35 hrs of cpc because I passed my car test before 1996 (I think its the right date). So I don’t have to take the cpc case studies test or practical test… It might be different for you?

If you passed your Driving test before 1997, you will have acquired Grandfather rights which allows you to drive a 7.5 Tonne vehicle without completing Practical test. It also allows you to do 35 Hrs to complete CPC or if you preferred you could have done Module 2 (Case Studies) & Module 4 (Practical Demonstration) but both these Modules are assessed based and require Pass marks.

I completed the 35 Hrs as felt I had done enough tests without a further 2 :unamused:

Colbhoy1888, I’ve done 3 days out of 5 so far, and I’m thinking that in future I’ll spread cpc days out. I may well be insane by the end of day 5. Well, more insane than I was to start with, anyway!

Colbhoy1888:

JoAnarchy:

If you passed your Driving test before 1997, you will have acquired Grandfather rights which allows you to drive a 7.5 Tonne vehicle without completing Practical test. It also allows you to do 35 Hrs to complete CPC or if you preferred you could have done Module 2 (Case Studies) & Module 4 (Practical Demonstration) but both these Modules are assessed based and require Pass marks.

I completed the 35 Hrs as felt I had done enough tests without a further 2 :unamused:

Hmm, I only passed my test a few months ago and I have my theory, hazard perception and case study tests booked for next week. I didn’t see anything on the official gov website about 35 hours of cpc studies?

So basically after doing all 4 modules of the cpc (theory, hazard perception, driving test and practical demo) I then need to complete an additional 35 hours of classroom stuff to become qualified?

TruckerWannabe123:

Colbhoy1888:

JoAnarchy:

Hmm, I only passed my test a few months ago and I have my theory, hazard perception and case study tests booked for next week. I didn’t see anything on the official gov website about 35 hours of cpc studies?

So basically after doing all 4 modules of the cpc (theory, hazard perception, driving test and practical demo) I then need to complete an additional 35 hours of classroom stuff to become qualified?

No, you only have to do the 4 modules and that will cover your cpc for 5 years.

MegaHips:

TruckerWannabe123:

Colbhoy1888:

JoAnarchy:

No, you only have to do the 4 modules and that will cover your cpc for 5 years.

Oh that makes sense, I was just confused because the OP said they’ve just passed their Class 2 and already they’re doing their 35 hours of cpc.

TruckerWannabe123:
I was just confused because the OP said they’ve just passed their Class 2 and already they’re doing their 35 hours of cpc.

Pass C and mods 2 + 4 of the initial cpc gives 5 years dcpc lets say in nov 2019 so expires in nov 2024
Then in dec 2019 do all 35 hours of periodic cpc which means in nov 2024 a new dqc valid until nov 2029 will be issued automatically