New class 2 driver seeking advice

Hello all,

First post on TruckNet and brand new class 2 driver here, looking to get away from residential multidrop as quick as possible, got a really bad spine (years of hodd carrying) so delivering tonne bags to residential addresses using tail lift and pump truck is a killer for me, cant afford class 1 yet, so my question is:

1. What sort of class 2 work doesn’t include residential multidrop?

Been looking at tipper work but most firms want at least 6 months to a years experience.

Any advice would be really appreciated on this.
Cheers
Shaun

You could load your car up with copies of your CV and (depends where you live) go and tour the industrial estates around your area. Knock on the doors of your local tipper and skip hire outfits and just ask (the transport manager, if possible) whether they are after any drivers. Skip companies often take on drivers with zero experience.

Sorry to hear about your back. Off the top of my head:

Trunking
Tankers (non adr)
Delivering for factories
Road sweeper
Same day
Steel work
Container
Gully sucker
Most waste jobs
Vehicle delivery (a particular favourite, no handball whatsoever)

That’s just what springs to mind. It would be easier to say what to avoid:

Pallet network stuff
White goods delivery
3pl stuff like tnt, tuffnells, ups etc

You should be ok with anything else, c2 is famous for inflation of handball upon us. But there is handball and handball as you have found out for yourself. You have the time of year on your side, you have the option of quitting and going agency, then you can try the many flavours out for yourself. When I passed c, I quit my job and went with driver hire, I did everything, including a job driving a 12t for ratby library which was the easiest most chilled job I ever had. I had a librarian with me, I just had to drive the local villages, park up and move on when it was time. The hours were 9-5 m,t,t,f and 9-12 Wednesday. I was there for ages! The point is you may find your ideal job in the place you least expect.

Appreciate you lads taking the time to reply, good advice, cheers.

Hi Shaun, hope you get sorted mate, a bad back is no laughing matter.

Can I just ask…WTF are you delivering to private houses at a tonne a time?
I´m a noob myself so what may be obvious to others isn´t to me :frowning:

steviespain:

Hello Steve,

Mainly stones, gravel, shingle, for gardens and driveways.

Cheers

Ahhh ok, thanks. Makes sense now. Ta.

Shaun2177:

steviespain:

Hello Steve,

Cheers

Which is ok until they want you to drag it across a loose stone drive. Have you considered doing Hiab? Same line of work but a bit easier

Garbo2018:
You could load your car up with copies of your CV and (depends where you live) go and tour the industrial estates around your area. Knock on the doors of your local tipper and skip hire outfits and just ask (the transport manager, if possible) whether they are after any drivers. Skip companies often take on drivers with zero experience.

Do companies still accept CV’s straight at the transport manager’s office? thought it was done mostly through agencies.

Braveheart2009:

Garbo2018:

Do companies still accept CV’s straight at the transport manager’s office? thought it was done mostly through agencies.

If it’s a small family-run firm, then probably yes.

jbaz73:

Shaun2177:

steviespain:

Hello Steve,

Cheers

Which is ok until they want you to drag it across a loose stone drive. Have you considered doing Hiab? Same line of work but a bit easier

Just a warning that Hiab work is not quite as easy as it might appear to be, you are not like a mobile crane operator sat in a cab with a slinger doing everything else. There is quite a lot of monkeying about climbing up and down to sling the loads, obviously it depends on exactly what the job is but maybe not as straightforward as it would appear. You are also into training, certification and the age old experience required.

That said there are good jobs out there that pay very well for doing it as it can be quite a skilled job. Finding them is another matter…

Garbo2018:

Braveheart2009:

Garbo2018:

If it’s a small family-run firm, then probably yes.

Yep. And a smaller company may go with a keen, less experienced driver, rather than a box ticking manager at a bigger outfit.
Some small outfits are pushy employers, some are great.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Braveheart2009:

Garbo2018:

Yes, in my area even the bigger ones will take a handed in CV as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk