New class 1 driver info wanted please

Hi All,
I only got my class 1 on monday and today is wednesday, any ideas as to get work, because all the agencys want 2 years experience im in derbyshire and wanting full time any leads greatly appreciated…thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Congrats on the new licence! Try following these steps which mirror, in part, the method I use to get work. So it’s tried and tested and will work for you:

Prepare a smart, but simple, CV
Produce a correctly laid out covering letter stating that you thank them for reading it and that you will contact them on Wednesday. A good time to phone is often 2.30 pm. The letter needs to arrive on Monday. There are reasons for this, trust me.
Phone the company and establish the name and job title of the decision maker
Address your covering letter to him/her personally.
Phone on Wednesday and ask when it would be convenient for you to visit. NOT, is it convenient. But WHEN.
Make sure you have researched the company. You must know it’s history and know about it’s current work.
Then turn up 3 minutes before the appointed time and sell yourself.

I receive letters regularly as an employer. Most are not correctly addressed or contain spelling mistakes. They are consigned to the bin. I have only had one letter/approach as above - - and that guy served 17 years with me before moving on to pastures new.

It’s a waste of time and money just producing CV’s and covering letters and hoping there will be a job offer as a result. It’s not likely. You have to push and get yourself out there.

I, for one, would create a job if approached in the correct manner by a suitable applicant. Few employers have to advertise for staff. It’s an outdated method and, in times of recession, the outline I’ve given above is much more likely to produce the result you want.

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

pete, Many thanks for the info, i will give that a go.
Cheers Richard.

Don’t forget a large dollop of perseverance too! Good advice from Mr Smythe…what happened to the coffee offer Peter? :grimacing:

what happened to the coffee offer Peter?

Was considered by the great and the good to be advertising.

So legs slapped, but the coffee is still waiting.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi richttt

Get on board with some agencies by doing van and 7.5ton work. They will get to know you and trust me the minute they are short of a class1 driver they will probably be asking you :wink:

Its all about trust - This is how I got my first break