New class 1 driver in need of help for getting a driving job

Hi. I have just passed my class 1 and need a few hints and tips on how to get a driving job as i keep coming up against the 2 year experiance thing.

thank you

kitkatace:
Hi. I have just passed my class 1 and need a few hints and tips on how to get a driving job as i keep coming up against the 2 year experiance thing.

thank you

Persistence.

Keep at 'em until they give in and give you a job to get you out of their face. It worked for me.

Always helps to say where you are from, members local to that area will often be able to give specific leads as to who will take on newbies.

Have you tried the agencies in your area although some do want 6mth checkable experience

If you can get on with an agency they may offer you van work but dont turn this down as it can be experience on the road then you can prove to them what you can do

What do you do at the moment ?have you worked for agency?If you are doing class 2 jobs it helps you to get class 1 job but if you have no experience its much more difficult to get job.I passed mine a month ago and I spoke an agency first question was when did you have your licence and Isaid I just passed it and 2nd question do you have any class 2 experience I said yes and she said ok we need to arrange an interwiew for you and also after passed c+e my agency told me lets have a look some class 1 jobs for you.I think soon I will get some shifts I’m not in a rush already got regular class2 jobs.
I wish you have good luck for hunting class 1 jobs, every driver had same things at the beginning just keep your self positive and phone phone phone bloody agencies :slight_smile:

Sometimes it’s not wot u know but who u know have u any mates that u can ask if any jobs going at where they work , ask passing lorry drivers if any jobs going (mind u best to wait until they have come to a stop or u may get run over :wink: )
The more u put your face about the better and don’t take the knock backs personally never give up , u could have just walked in as the normal lad rang in sick for the day leaving a fully loaded lorry in need of a driver :bulb:
Keep boots high viz gloves in your car ready to go ,
I hope u get lucky soon
All the best
Jen x

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I am living just outside Winchester Hampshire. Its a C class licence i have and i have a meeting with an agencies on Tuesday so i hope for something to come out of that. Is there a way around the whole two year thing?

Thank you again.

If they are desperate for a driver then the whole 2 year clause suddenly vanishes :wink:

kitkatace:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I am living just outside Winchester Hampshire. Its a C class licence i have and i have a meeting with an agencies on Tuesday so i hope for something to come out of that. Is there a way around the whole two year thing?

Thank you again.

Go and see these and put your name down, some fascinating work if you don’t mind being away for a while and can turn your hand to more than just driving.

watermark-events.com/

kitkatace:

Thank you again.

What about the co-op in Andover?
There is an agency in Ludgershall that has been there a few years, whether you have tried them driversrelief.co.uk/

Trying to get a job as a HGV class 1 driver is crazy, Its the same You need to be 25 with 2 years experience, So really there looking for 27 year old’s in a way stupid, Iv’e got very lucky I’m 24 never driven a class 2 and I got a job as a class 1 arctic driver stared on Thursday, It’s all about who you know that’s what you need, I nearly give up getting rejected, You need to get some one to put in a good word for you, I dint even get interviewed. keep trying guys good luck, Do not give up.

Hi kitkatace,

You’ve given your location and that’s a great help to those offering you advice, but I think you might have another little issue to get sorted…

In your OP, you said:

kitkatace:
I have just passed my class 1

In your second post you said:

kitkatace:
Its a C class licence i have

Or do you mean that you don’t mind C or C+E work?

Worth remembering work is dead so not a lot of places will be looking for folk. May be more of a change in say 3 months time.

stagedriver:
Worth remembering work is dead so not a lot of places will be looking for folk. May be more of a change in say 3 months time.

Or around Sept 2014 :wink:

listen i have had my C+E for 2 and bit months i have got a class one job company full time starting 23rd jan my bday as i happens lol just hit all the companys in local area ask the nice receptionist or first person you see if there is any jobs going if you cant see the transport manager leave a cv ask for there name and put it on the envelope.

if any jobs are advertised do not phone up or email or post cv go down there this is how i achived my job people especially the smaller transport firms like to see faces.

you can say more in a conversation face to face than any cv will ever tell you just leave a good impression show how eager and willing you are you have to be a yes man be it to get your first start hope this helps. :wink: