New career in driving

I’m currently 23 and in the military, I hold CE licence will full ADR
Due to my young age and inexperience as a lorry driver,
I’m wondering how difficult it will be to find job as a full time lorry driver,
Thanks
Adam

You should get work within a few days, loads of work out there especially se of uk

Do you have a driver cpc card (DQC) :question:

Hi I made the jump 2 years ago and it’s going good for me. You need to get you DCPC card/training through your resettlement grant when you sign off. Iv been told by friends that there is loads of driving jobs on right job which you get access to through resettlement. Failing that a lot of the bigger companies like DHL, maritime, Cilina ect take on squaddies. My advice is you need to be doing agency work ASAP while your getting out this will help you out and stop you looking like an idiot on your first assesment. When you start take your time and get your head around drivers hours sharpish. I guarantee you if you rush around in the first year you will bend your truck or something else. One thing don’t believe everything you read on here there are a lot of people in this game that want their cake and to eat it. You’ve got to be prepared to take the ruff with smooth. Good luck if you need anymore help PM me.

Cannot emphasise the agency route enough. Recently discharged military drivers can be spotted a mile off at any delivery point:

Short hair: Check
Smartly dressed: Check
Can’t reverse for toffee: Check.
So many straps on the load you must have shares in a Ratchet Strap company: Check.

You’re going to be manoeuvring in tighter spaces than you’re used to and reversing without someone helping you so you’re going to want practice at it. Better to practice as an agency driver where people expect you to be crap. :smiley:

And before anyone says I’m dissing squaddies, I’m ex-REME and got my Class 2 with the army…

As usual it will depend on where you are going to live when you’re out. Some appear to be gagging for drivers while other areas have little work. I would guess that most areas will have one or two companies that will take on new/inexperienced drivers due to high turnover of staff, there will be a good reason for this.
As said you won’t be doing any commercial driving without your DCPC so that’s a must.

Conor:
Better to practice as an agency driver where people expect you to be crap. :smiley: .

Lol. It’s so true. They are actually amazed when you put it on a bay without hitting something.
I took 4 shunts to get on a bay down in Newcastle a few weeks ago. Didnt bother me as it still went on to be unloaded which is the main thing. Guy came out of his office and said “Is that it on already? (zb) me that was quick. Other guys take 15-20 minutes sometimes” (It was a tightish yard with gas tanks close to where the unit swung back to straighten up). Cue head swelling on my part :smiley:

You should be fine IMO.

You used to hear of the magic 2 years experience and you would see pages of posts from people who had laid out £1000’s to gain their licence only to find that they were sat at home waiting for the phone to ring from the agency. As they were bottom of the pile due to their inexperience and the can’t get insurance scam.
This year there hasn’t been many of them and obviously it will depend on where abouts in the country you are, Northampton, Lincolnshire, Leicester, Rugby, Derby and Nottingham you should definitely have no problems finding work. Finding good paying work is more difficult in some areas especially when first starting out as the best paying firms can pick and choose their employees.

ADR will definetly make you more employable, it MAY NOT increase the rate at which you are paid, unless you drop lucky and land a job at Hoyer or such like.

Good luck.

thanks for the advice,
seems like everyone is genuinely out there to help.
but I have sent off for my cpc and tacho card,

as much as I was dreaming about walking into a big well paying job I was fully aware of how unrealistic it was
I assumed I would have to go down the agency route,
living in the south east of England I know there is a lot of agencies there, its going to have to be long weekends driving and soaking up my leave, but I guess for what i’ll gain, it will be all worthwhile.

yeah i’ll openly admit i’m nervous about throwing a big truck into tight bays and it may take me a while,
but I have great optimism I will pick it up quick, I hope.

and thanks again for the advice!!

The-Snowman:

Conor:
Better to practice as an agency driver where people expect you to be crap. :smiley: .

Lol. It’s so true. They are actually amazed when you put it on a bay without hitting something.
I took 4 shunts to get on a bay down in Newcastle a few weeks ago. Didnt bother me as it still went on to be unloaded which is the main thing. Guy came out of his office and said “Is that it on already? (zb) me that was quick. Other guys take 15-20 minutes sometimes” (It was a tightish yard with gas tanks close to where the unit swung back to straighten up). Cue head swelling on my part :smiley:

done exactly the same in a really tight yard,swung my artic round in one,jumped out and said is that warehouse door wide enough,the guy asked why,i replied in case my head cannot get through,gave him a laugh

adamleejohn147:
but I have sent off for my cpc

You do not need to send off for that so perhaps you could inform us what you have done in regards to the driver cpc

Don’t worry about backing on bays. I pull flats and low loaders 99% of the time. Always takes me a couple of shunts to put a trailer on a bay.
Once it goes on and it doesn’t take forever, who cares?

sorry I was chatting ■■■■ there, I still have the adr paper licence and i’ve sent off for the card, one way to make yourself look like a tool lol

and yeah I guess so, confidence is something that comes with experience I suppose, im not going to be perfect at the start, but i’m sure nobody was.

im actually really looking forward to it

Have you taken and passed initial LGV driver CPC modules 2 theory and 4 practical :question: