New car drivers should try a wagon for the day

To see what is like,and maybe a coach too on a private track or an old airfield.In country lanes,i still encounter Jenson Button doing a high rate of knotts,i slow down to move over,they can not pass,then i get the it is all my fault hand and facial expressions.

Unfortunately some of them will or NEED to learn the hard way. Instructor should tell them space we need etc

I agree, people need to learn te hard way…!

Rather bizarrely for Toby, this is actually a good idea. Even if hands-on experience in a truck isn’t practical, it wouldn’t be difficult for the DSA to produce a video explaining to learners how lorries manoeuvre, what their blind spots are etc, and for all learners to have to watch this video as part of their course.

My wife being a driving instructor does try and educate her pupils on hgv’s and how they manoeuvre but they are not told to teach anything on the subject and she only does it probably because I drive them for a living.

i slow down to move over,they can not pass,then i get the it is all my fault hand and facial expressions.

of course you will get the signals if you slow down when they can’t pass !
if there isn’t room to pass why slow down?

del949:
if there isn’t room to pass why slow down?

I presume it was a situation where a competent car driver should’ve been able to pass.

Slip roads onto DC & MW’s are the obvious ones.Undertaking is a no brainer, both on motorways and A & B roads.

Movement in and out of junctions in built up areas is another.

Be aware the lump infront of you, that weighs 40 plus ton requires alot more room and will, travel at lower speeds, so let that LGV move out and progress, doz my ■■■■■■■ head in :smiling_imp:

I agree, get any so called new driver to sit along side a LGV driver and see whats it like.I would also endorse emergency services making a vidio showing what they have to endure on a blue & twos run.

How about a simulator how hard would that be to set up or have it instead of the HPT

Also bikes could be included

It’s not the knowledge that’s missing it’s the mindset ! The sooner they take out airbags and fit a spike to car steering wheels that protrudes further the faster you drive the better.

Why can you pick out a dangerous driver before they cause an accident ?
When was the last time that a Nissan Micra swerved from the outside lane to get off at the 100m mark ? or the 12 plate Audi/BMW that crawled down the road at 10mph under the speed limit holding everyone up.

Wermy:
It’s not the knowledge that’s missing it’s the mindset ! The sooner they take out airbags and fit a spike to car steering wheels that protrudes further the faster you drive the better.

Why can you pick out a dangerous driver before they cause an accident ?
When was the last time that a Nissan Micra swerved from the outside lane to get off at the 100m mark ? or the 12 plate Audi/BMW that crawled down the road at 10mph under the speed limit holding everyone up.

And the last time a truck pulled out into lane 2 as a faster car was approaching him from behind thus holding him up.
That’s a bit better

Teaching them to reverse would be a bonus!! They either cant reverse or just sit there looking confused does my head in. Had to bite my tongue the other day taking to one of the managers she says to me, “i dont know how you drive those things (refering to a box van), i cant even reverse my car” and went on to say how if she meets anything she just sits there and refuses to go back!! People like this shouldnt be on the bloody roads grrr… :imp:

animal:
How about a simulator how hard would that be to set up or have it instead of the HPT

Also bikes could be included

Good idea, 92% of all deaths and serious injuries to motorcyclists involve another vehicle, the only way to improve the behavior of car drivers is to implement a deterrent,
3 points and £60 for using a mobile is a joke, then again the problem as I see it is the roads are not policed to a level where an improvement in behavior is likely.

There needs to be more unmarked patrols and a serious crackdown on bad driving.

I’ve been thinking on these lines for years! But, don’t hold your breath. As it stands, you can pass your test in a car, and go off on your own, never having driven in the dark, rain, snow or fog, and you’ll never have been on a motorway, even if your instructor was willing to take you, they can’t! From what I’ve seen of them, a lot of instructors are a waste of space, no driving background or proper experience, literally anyone can train and pass out as an instructor, then teach others, not to drive, but to pass a test. I can remember when nearly all driving instructors were ex-lorry or bus drivers, or ex-police traffic officers. As I see it, unless your’e lucky enough to have a “proper” driver to give you lessons, it’s no wonder most drivers these days are only steering wheel attendants, and the car makers are even working on eliminating that now!
Bernard

Why do drivers have a P on the back of the car to warn us thay have passed a test,i find the sign annoying and think so what to myself.

Toby! the P is a sign that the driver is newly qualified and may not be as confident as you and may need a little more patience. I think a good idea

dri-diddly-iver:
Toby! the P is a sign that the driver is newly qualified and may not be as confident as you and may need a little more patience. I think a good idea

Yep maybe so but we didnt have it back when I passed my test or a lot of other people this is a new thing & where has it come from

They also sometimes have a green L what is the difference :question:

But not all new drivers have them on just some so it is optional either you should or not al all maybe al should have it on there cars for at least 2 years or not at all

Been waiting for a thread like this to pop up…

I’d say bring back National sevice… maybe as a bus driver! :imp:

Dealing with things like teen mums that refuse to fold away buggies/prams when someone in a wheelchair gets on, and YOU have to deal with the ‘situation’ etc!