new cameras

i noticed some new cameras on the M3 today through the roadworks between j3 & 4. there are no gatsos but there are extended poles with what look like CCTV cameras at the top. are they SPECS? they have appeared on the M25 too so i assume they are some type of speed camera so watch your speed through them. they could be taking your average instead of set points :open_mouth:

Where on the M25 Richie?

i think they are set up for the wreckers to see if there is anything blocking the carridgeway

jon

the roadworks between j13 and 14. they are sat on top of extended poles which tells me that they are not going to be permanent. they look very much like CCTV cameras at the top so maybe they are for the wreckers. i only noticed them yesterday though and it wouldnt surprise me if they do have a mixture of gatso and SPECS. most drivers are wise to gatsos but they will speed up between them which will obviously get them caught if these things are SPECS. either way, they are money makers :unamused:

Right cameras at roadworks. The single CCTV Camera on a tall pole like the ones in your depot are for the roadworks recovery. The ones you all need to watch are those in yellow which look like CCTV housings but with what looks like two yellow baked bean cans strapped to teh side. These are ā€˜specsā€™ cameras and measure speed over distance against time.

There will be four posts over say 1 to 10 miles and they measure the distance travelled against the time taken over a set distance, but it could be posts 1 to 3 or 2 to 5 or 1 to 5 you dont know.

Hope this helps.

conelayer

What are those cameras that hang along the A621/A623 every few 100 yards in the Peak District ?

Welcome to TruckNet UK conelayersw :smiley:

The cameras off junc 37 of the m1 are these speed cameras specs. They have them around Nottingham too.

Thanks for the welcome convoy!!!

Conelayer

thanks for clearing this up conelayer :smiley:

welcome to the site

I donā€™t really have a problem with speed cameraā€™s, just some of the sites used and emphisis on speed beinge main problem causing accidents, when we all know, because itā€™s seen everyday itā€™s bad driving thatā€™s the main problem.

However considering there are people working very close to the traffic, donā€™t you think that using cameras to slow traffic in roadworks is a good idea?

only when the work is actually being carried out. i slow down when the workmen are there but not if they are not actually on site unless of course, they have narrowed the lanes. when its a weekend or night, why slow down to 50 when there is no danger?

scanny77:
only when the work is actually being carried out. i slow down when the workmen are there but not if they are not actually on site unless of course, they have narrowed the lanes. when its a weekend or night, why slow down to 50 when there is no danger?

I agree with your point Scanny, but there are people who donā€™t care there are bloke working within feet of them and wouldnā€™t slow down unless there were cameras. Having inteligent limits that were only in force when they were working would be a way round it.

scanny77:

Why not slow down and rest assured that you will not be zapped by a new /hidden camera/moved camera :question: :question: slowing to 50 through roadworks etc isnt going to make toss all difference to your days driving time at the end of it is it :question:

true but it does cause unnecessary exertion on the driver by having to flick off the cruise control and flicking it back on again :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

seriously though, the limits are set for the safety of the workmen so how can they justify retaining the limits when the workmen are safe at home?

just to clarify, i am talking mainly about the M3 here where the lanes are pretty much normal with the exception of the hard shoulder. if the lanes are narrow then i agree with lower limits due to the fact that there is very little room for error and we all know how little wind it takes to blow a lorry across a foot or so :exclamation:

Scanny 77.

You make a very good point that speed limits at roadworks are imposed sometimes badly.

There are legal implications at some sites and others where there are items of equipment in place that are designed only for 50mph ā€˜smacksā€™. On the M2 in Kent on Medway viaduct there was ceratinly a 50mph limit for leagl purposes but not roadworks. The reason was about 150m of concrete barrier right at teh end where the barrier was used to portect teh damaged bridge parapet but itself could not stand a hit from a car at over 50mph. So what woudl look liek a pointless 50mph limit was placed.

I would agree that the use of a 40mph limit at a lot of roadworks instead of teh usual 50mph limit is used badly by those in offices who do not know what they are designing.

Conelayer

Suffolk boy in reality slowing down will make little difference to the day. If I remeber corretly it only requires a press of a button on the stalk of the cruise control to slow 5-6mph.

The speed limits are often placed to enssure not just teh roadworkers safety but yours, from tighter curves, bad cambers (Make you wish you strapped that last pallet down in teh back?) and narrower tahn normal lanes.

conelayer

I agree muckles speed is not the only problem. Lack of attention (Usually BMW drivers - Only nearly been killed by 3 BMWā€™s in teh last 12 years) Eating PHONING!!! driving plain arrogantly are all seen by myself when stood in that row of canes setting a taper.

Speed does kill, but more frequently plain crap driving.

All these electrical gismos in cars these days means people dont have to concentrate as hard. Bring Back Mrk 1 Cortinas and avengers as rep mobilesā€¦

Conelayer

A couple of other things to remember about speed limits in roadworks when no-one is actually working

One is material hardening, Tarmac takes a while to go completly ā€œoffā€, excessive vibration can loosen the adherence causing the tarmac to fail early

the other and perhaps the most used reason
Is that Traffic management lads are not cheap to hire in to remove the signs posting the speed limit every night would be expensive, and also every time those lads cross the carriageway they are taking a risk, by leaving the signs in place the amount of time they are at risk is reduced

Thanks Rikkiā€¦Tarmac correct and TM lads are a bit hard to come by currently on account of the rate they are being wiped out / leaving for normal jobsā€¦

No Problem Cone layuer.
I have spent many hours dodging cars in roadworks myself.

I have lost count of the times I have put on all four beacons, (cab roof and rear of trailer) slowed down and entered the road works via the works access through the cones, only to be merrily followed by a line of cars who then INSIDE the roadworks accelerate past only to get all confused when faced with a line of parked up tippers, planing machines, Black layers etc.