New Cabs/Taxi's to be mainly electric

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39173837

Why are black cabs being tested in the Arctic Circle?
A brand new design for London’s black taxi has been put through its paces in a hostile - and very clean - environment.
It’s hoped this update will reduce pollution from the famous fleet of 23,000 vehicles.

I wonder what will be next? :grimacing:

The beautiful and clean Arctic doesnt compare to the pigswill London environment though.
A lot of the taxis around the demolition derby (Malaga central) are either PHEV or Hybrid now…

AndrewG:
The beautiful and clean Arctic doesnt compare to the pigswill London environment though.
A lot of the taxis around the demolition derby (Malaga central) are either PHEV or Hybrid now…

Whilst I don’t disagree that it’s a hostile environment, if it’s designed for a specific environment, isn’t that the place to test it?
How easy is it to get puke of the seats is going to be completely different when it’s frozen! :laughing:

I can think of a few possible reasons for the testing in the artic circle and it is something I think most manufactures do.

1. it does sometimes get slightly chilly in the UK, be a major embarrassment if in the next slightly chilly winter all the electric cabs stop working, especially if we don’t get one for many years when most London cabs are electric powered.

2. They might be looking at other markets for the cab, many other cities are looking at electric vehicle and it might be a good time to sell them a purpose built electric cab.

3. Maybe also developing the technology to go into other vehicles, whatever opinion we might have about city pollution, many city authorities are looking at only allowing electric or very low emission vehicle in city centres.

muckles:
Maybe also developing the technology to go into other vehicles, whatever opinion we might have about city pollution, many city authorities are looking at only allowing electric or very low emission vehicle in city centres.

I’d assume the tech is universally being considered, and for us I guess London is what we need to watch, as sooner or later, we’ll only be driving electric or hybrid trucks in that hell hole.

Muckaway is going to be chuffed to nuts with a 10t payload due to all the batteries and gizmos! :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

muckles:
Maybe also developing the technology to go into other vehicles, whatever opinion we might have about city pollution, many city authorities are looking at only allowing electric or very low emission vehicle in city centres.

I’d assume the tech is universally being considered, and for us I guess London is what we need to watch, as sooner or later, we’ll only be driving electric or hybrid trucks in that hell hole.

Muckaway is going to be chuffed to nuts with a 10t payload due to all the batteries! :laughing:

It depends if they’re buying off the shelf tech or using the cab as a platform for R&D which might not be just for that vehicle.

Where’s the juice for charging coming from ? It’s often talked about over here for cars, but most of our electricity is from coal powered stations. :unamused:

Every electric car should have this picture printed on the doors…

the nodding donkey:

You do know that most of that is just water, don’t you.

peterm:
Where’s the juice for charging coming from ? It’s often talked about over here for cars, but most of our electricity is from coal powered stations. :unamused:

Motorists/consumers are easier to tax than producers/company directors… :wink:
We didn’t go to school with half the cabinet! :laughing:

Tax the soft target with high numbers…
(Maximum return, minimal effort or affect)

It turns out that whilst Southampton isn’t the crappiest city in the UK, Respect Hull! :smiley:
Southampton has some of the worst air! :open_mouth:

World Health Organisation (WHO) called Southampton one of the most polluted cities in the UK.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-39181972

In the article it says Ships play a big part of this:

The vessels leave their engines running while docked to power their electrics, but elsewhere in the world ships use a shore-based electricity supply, virtually eliminating their emissions.

So let me get this straight, we as a country are tackling pollution in a sensible manner, yet we can’t get electric hooked up because people are tendering for the work and deals are being done. But FFS, how long has this been going on and debated, as I can’t see this only grabbing their attention recently? :unamused:

Captain Caveman 76:

the nodding donkey:

Only what comes out of the cooling towers. What comes our of the chimney is not water vapour…

Evil8Beezle:

The vessels leave their engines running while docked to power their electrics, but elsewhere in the world ships use a shore-based electricity supply, virtually eliminating their emissions.
Shore side connection points are very, very few and far between and those that are available charge so much it’s cheaper to use the ships own generators, just like road transport ops shipping is run by the bean counters but on a much larger scale …

the nodding donkey:

Captain Caveman 76:

the nodding donkey:

Only what comes out of the cooling towers. What comes our of the chimney is not water vapour…

Anyone who thinks electric is the future should also read this. :frowning:

theparisreview.org/letters-e … alexievich

Evil8Beezle:

peterm:

Motorists/consumers are easier to tax than producers/company directors… :wink:
We didn’t go to school with half the cabinet! :laughing:

Tax the soft target with high numbers…
(Maximum return, minimal effort or affect)

It turns out that whilst Southampton isn’t the crappiest city in the UK, Respect Hull! :smiley:
Southampton has some of the worst air! :open_mouth:

World Health Organisation (WHO) called Southampton one of the most polluted cities in the UK.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-39181972

So let me get this straight, we as a country are tackling pollution in a sensible manner, yet we can’t get electric hooked up because people are tendering for the work and deals are being done. But FFS, how long has this been going on and debated, as I can’t see this only grabbing their attention recently? :unamused:

What happened to Middlesboro’ ?

Carryfast:
Anyone who thinks electric is the future should also read this. :frowning:

theparisreview.org/letters-e … alexievich

Nuclear power, antiquated technology with more drawbacks than benefits. I just wish someone would tell our government that!

raymundo:

Evil8Beezle:

Shore side connection points are very, very few and far between and those that are available charge so much it’s cheaper to use the ships own generators, just like road transport ops shipping is run by the bean counters but on a much larger scale …
[/quote]
[/quote]
The diesel gen sets on board though emit far less pollution than running the main engine, having shore power just pushes pollution up elsewhere, catch 22 really…

Ships dont have an alternator connected to the main engine by a belt :laughing:

Captain Caveman 76:

the nodding donkey:

Along with a good dose of sulphur. Ever hear of acid rain? The reason the chimneys are so high is so the gases get into the high atmosphere and travel further.
I’m not against coal fired, better than any other alternative.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

And I’m not too keen on nuclear either. And wind? Don’t get me started.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

All coal powered power stations had to have the means installed to remove most if not all of the sulphur, millions were spent at Drax to avhieve that, and ships over a certain size and under a cerain age must have ‘exhaust scrubbers’ that clean the gases before they can be released to the atmosphere.