New bus and lorry licence rules from 19 January 2013

Don’t know if it been listed before but thought you like to see this.

New bus and lorry licence rules from 19 January 2013

The rules for lorry and bus driving licences will change from 19 January 2013.

New drivers passing a driving test from 19 January 2013

If you pass your driving test in categories C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E, after 19 January 2013 you’ll get a licence valid for 5 years.

Every 5 years up to age 45, you’ll need to sign a declaration to show you still meet the medical standards.

After age 45, you’ll need to provide a medical examination report every 5 years to renew your driving entitlement.

Existing minibus, bus and lorry drivers

Drivers under 45 years old

If you passed a driving test in one of the categories below, you’ll come under the new rules when you renew your driving licence.

The categories affected are C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E.

When you renew your licence, you’ll receive a licence valid for 5 years. Every time you renew you’ll need to confirm you still meet the medical standards.

If you apply to replace your licence because it is lost or stolen, or your personal details have changed, your new licence will run until the end of your original period.

However, if you update your photo at the same time, you’ll come under the new 5-year rule.

Drivers over 45 years old

Drivers over 45 will continue to renew their entitlement as they do now.

When you renew your licence at the end of a 5-year period, you’ll need to provide a medical examination report.

Rog what do you think of this

However, if you update your photo at the same time, you’ll come under the new 5-year rule.

if my photo was due too be renewed just after this i was 35 years old :unamused: (in my dreams) i do it now before the rules change any thoughts

delboytwo:
Rog what do you think of this

if my photo was due too be renewed just after this i was 35 years old :unamused: (in my dreams) i do it now before the rules change any thoughts

I assume they mean the the current licence only runs out at the photo expiry date so anything new that is introduced will start at that point unless already under the new system

Age 25 now with a photo that runs out in the year 2020 - new 5 year self assessment (SA) medical starts in year 2020 when aged 33 then another SA medical at ages 38 and 43 followed by a D4 medical at age 45

Thats the way I see it

Have you seen the self assessment forms yet. Rog

delboytwo:
Have you seen the self assessment forms yet. Rog

no and not likely to as I am too old but i could guess that they are akin to the age 70+ car driving ones

Silly idea to self medically assess

ROG:
Silly idea to self medically assess

I wouldn’t say so, it certainly has some plus points.

If nothing else it means people can’t say "I didn’t realise what the minimum requirements were " if they ever get pulled up and it turns out they don’t meet them, as they will have signed something in the last 5 years with the details on.

Paul