NEW BOOK! LORRIES of ARABIA: ERF NGC

backsplice:
Well done Robert it must be good to feel the sense of achievement I hope it runs well for you !!! what a pity SARAMAT didn’t have any ERF’s (Ernest Robert Foden ) LOL !! I have been on the lookout for any ERF photos M/E and otherwise …I,m still an F89 man myself if only I could reach the pedals again !!!

Thanks a lot, Backsplice! Your CAMEL ERF pics certainly helped things along on the LHD B-series thread. Cheers! Robert :smiley:

Another page revealed by Old Pond. Robert

For anyone thinking of getting a copy of Lorries of Arabia: ERF NGC, here is a single sheet you can print off and tuck in the back! As with all history books, new things come to light as soon as they’re written. This sheet should bring you up to date. Robert :smiley:

I notice that this book is now ‘live’ on Amazon:

amazon.co.uk/Lorries-Arabia- … 1908397934

Robert

Think you need to offer that addendum sheet as an attachment as it’s unreadable in its’ present form!

Jazzandy:
Think you need to offer that addendum sheet as an attachment as it’s unreadable in its’ present form!

I shrunk it to 2/3 size in Paint. Just click it twice, and it will be screen size.

PS Robert- you’ve mis-spelled the name of your favourite gearbox in points 7 and 12.

[zb]
anorak:

Jazzandy:

I shrunk it to 2/3 size in Paint. Just click it twice, and it will be screen size.

PS Robert- you’ve mis-spelled the name of your favourite gearbox in points 7 and 12.

:laughing: OK :laughing: I’ll cut and paste it on here as an alternative method.

Fuller mis-spelt? Don’t understand. :unamused: Robert

NGCs Post-Publication Fact Sheet by Robert

Since the publication of Lorries of Arabia: ERF NGC by me in April 2015, a number of new things have come to light about these lorries; some of it from privately held archives. Here is a summary of new NGC discoveries. I have numbered them for reference purposes.

1. It is now known that 91 NGCs with 7MW cabs were built by ERF.
  2. A picture came to light of HMO 220N, an NGC operated by Calor Transport under tanker regulations. This is recorded as No. 073 in my register of NGCs.
  3. Five more Falcon Freight NGCs have come to light. However, these operated in Jeddah (rather than Dubai like the first five). They had unusually long wheel-bases at 5.34m and were used for transporting cement using flat-bed trailers. These now appear as 074-078 in my register.
  4. The last Falcon Freight vehicle, chassis number 31927, was also the last ERF MW to be built, being dispatched on 22nd December 1977. Unusually, it had a ■■■■■■■ NT E290 matched to a Fuller RT 9509A gearbox.
  5. Nos. 58-62 in my register show the first batch of five units that went to Falcon Freight. It now emerges that they were delivered during 1975/6 (not 1974/5 as stated).
  6. My references to 5MW ‘Europeans’ should now extend to 3MW ‘Europeans’, the 5MW cab having superceded the 3MW on 18th January 1973.
  7. My suspicion, as stated in the book, that KCH 95N (010 on my register) actually left ERF with a 9-speed Fuller ‘box has turned out to be well-founded. Despite having entered service (as 7DF 44) with Eyckmans new, with a 13-speed Fuller ‘box, it is now known to have left the factory on 24th May 1974 with a Fuller RT 9508A gearbox.
  8. AFU 615, Van Steenbergen’s fleet no. 28, later 31, is now known to have had Fuller RTO 9509A ‘box. Also, its chassis no. was 22993 and it was the first NGC built.
  9. NGC no. 064 in my register was not after all, as stated in the little table at the back of the book, in the service of Thibault; nor did it carry that registration number. (There is a picture of this vehicle with a Trailor Savoyarde trailer in Dai Davies’s book).
  10. The French unit 8814GV59 (no. 049 in my register) in the service of Loste in France is now known to have had an NTC 335 coupled to a 9-speed Fuller.
  11. No. 069 in my register is UGE 852R. It is now known that this was an MDC852 (not an NGC852 as stated). It is also now known that its previous cab was a 6MW (not a 4MW as stated, or a 5MW as stated in one of the captions).
  12. I now have more information about JJ393 in the service of Thibault of Stree, Belgium (043 in my register) as follows: NTC 335 with Fuller RTO 9095A; drawbar outfit chassis number 24684; engine number 51900. Also, it is now known that it was the second NGC built. It acquired an Atelier Leonet tipper body and initially pulled a MOL trailer, after which it pulled a LAG trailer.
  13. Ken Broster, formerly Director and General Manager of Trans Arabia, has stated that although Trans Arabia’s NGCs were generally reliable, they were prone to water pump failures. ‘A-J’ reports that the chief Mechanic at Van Steenbergen has said much the same thing.
  14. The picture of Q691 NTR in a yard was taken in Asher Lane, Ripley, Derbyshire in 1990, by Les Simpson.
  15. Here is a more precise version of ERF’s coding system to describe the NGC 420: N = MW ‘7MW European’ steel cab; G = Export special specification cab; C = ■■■■■■■■ 42 = 42 ton GTW; 0 = 4x2 two-axle rigid or artic.
  16. With regard to Trans Arabia’s considerable operations in which luxury boats were transported (involving NGCs) on the Arabian Peninsula, Ken Broster has revealed that the local agent for this was al Quarashi.
  17. It is now known that no NGCs were ever built with Gardner engines, even though they were offered in 1970s ERF brochures.
  18. Lorries of Arabia states that Cunard Arabian Middle East Lines (CAMEL) operated two NGCs in Jeddah, but a Motor Transport article of 07/07/78 states that, ‘Cunard operates a number of steel-cabbed ERF export-model tractors with ■■■■■■■ NTC 335 engines for such work,’ so clearly there were more than two.

Watch out for some reviews and articles in the trade press over the next few weeks, starting with Truck & Driver and Commercial Motor. :wink: Robert

Thanks Robert, that’s fine!!

Receiving some excellent feedback from those who’ve managed to read the book so far. Fingers crossed! Robert :smiley:

Just a note to say I’ll be off-line for a little while. I’ll be back to answer any queries in a few day’s time! Robert :smiley:

Have a good holiday Robert!

Jazzandy:
Have a good holiday Robert!

Thanks Andy! Just got back from nine days in Algeria. I’ll pop some pics on the North Africa thread. Robert :smiley:

I notice some good ads are appearing in various trade (truck) magazines now. An article will appear in T&D shortly. Robert

Fingers crossed for the moment the book arrives, but expectations are high
just as Nicola Widdowson replies lately!

A-J

You are more than welcome.

Your book will be dispatched tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy, it has been incredibly well received.

Kind regards

Nicola

Nicola Widdowson

E-Commerce Business Development Manager

Description: 5m Publishing

Great! Thoughtful imput, A-J. :smiley:

I notice that images of the the book, along with some reviews, now appears on Toprun website. Good old Ferdie! Robert

This morning I received my copy! In one word: TOP!!!

It is easy reading, comprehensive and well illustrated,
however it screams for our revisions and updates, even
a next volume when we all remain active to highlight
new information/pictures on the nearly 100 produced!

Compliments Robert, you wrote history again :slight_smile:

ERF-Continental:
This morning I received my copy! In one word: TOP!!!

It is easy reading, comprehensive and well illustrated,
however it screams for our revisions and updates, even
a next volume when we all remain active to highlight
new information/pictures on the nearly 100 produced!

Compliments Robert, you wrote history again :slight_smile:

Thank you for that warm reception A-J! :smiley: And you’re quite right about the updates: unfortunately history move fast in the world of transport! :open_mouth: Never mind, I’ve already started work on More Lorries of Arabia: ERF NGC. :laughing: Robert

New advert in TRUCKING mag (May).