New and doing Class 1 training

Hi guys, I’m new here and currently I am doing my class 1 training. Just had my day 2. I passed my class 2 six years ago and after that got stuck in the family business (which does not involve driving) and forgot about everything. So my tacho and cpc card expired and now I decided to take my class 1.

So far I am enjoying it. Had difficulty doing the reverse yesterday on my first day but nailed it today. Driving wise, I’m OK. On day 1, I was slow but smooth, obviously getting used to the size of the vehicle. Today I was more confident and my instructor told me to be progressive which I did but in the process I made a couple of majors. One of them was kerbing my trailer. Because I was turning left and had to go in the other lane. Both sides were clear but then a small van came out from one of the yards and I had to steer in early causing my trailer to hit the kerb. If I had kept going in the original direction then I would have caused the white van to slow or alter his speed causing another major. So I take it, it was an inevitable situation. I don’t know what should I have done. Gone a bit slow or something. Something I am pondering on this evening. Hopefully I’ll be OK tomorrow.

Both sides were clear but then a small van came out from one of the yards and I had to steer in early causing my trailer to hit the kerb.

Simple. You should have stopped. A van encroaching on the road you need doesn’t suddenly reduce the size of your vehicle. Stop, let him sort himself out, then carry on.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Both sides were clear but then a small van came out from one of the yards and I had to steer in early causing my trailer to hit the kerb.

Simple. You should have stopped. A van encroaching on the road you need doesn’t suddenly reduce the size of your vehicle. Stop, let him sort himself out, then carry on.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That’s what my instructor taught me. I always had trouble with these type of situations; well when in comes to driving to examine standard. Had one in which another HGV was coming down the road and there wasn’t enough room for both of us. I was going to mount the kerb and get passed him. Instructor told me to not do anything. In these type of situations its best to let the other driver decide what to do and do all the work.

So I just wanna say that I passed my class 1 test this morning. It wasn’t that bad. I was nervous before but as soon as I get in that driving seat, I’m a driver. I’m the one with the vehicle. I am the vehicle (sorry that’s from all the high fantasies I read lol)

Yeah. I got five minors. A couple for observation and one for positioning and stuff. Nothing major.

I want to ask a couple of questions again. The customer service in the hgv training is just crap. You just can’t get an info out from them. My instructor was superb though. He was an ex police officer and an ex traffic officer for 34 years combined so he taught us some advanced driving methods too and a heap of other information which they get trained as a police officers. It was good.

Okay, back to my questions. As my tachograph had been expired and I never bothered to renew, which form I have to fill in? A form for a new tachograph or renewing the tachograph?

Other question is a out cpc. On Monday I will have my cpc complete. So after that, will I get my cpc card automatically or do I have to send a form for that too? ThanksThanks.

Congratulations on passing your test, now the real learning starts [emoji6]

Link for Digicard-
gov.uk/apply-for-a-digital- … smart-card

Your DQC (Driver Qualification Card/DCPC Card [emoji57]) should be in its way to you after you finish your last module on Monday.

Congratulations on your pass…a pass is a pass…

Hopefully be posting my pass soon on a C+E.

Well done !!!

Thanks and best of luck wigan

adam277:
In these type of situations its best to let the other driver decide what to do and do all the work.

He’s passed his test. You haven’t. If I was the other driver and saw a vehicle coming towards me with a passenger in hi-viz I’d assume they were on test and do what I could to help.

htmldude:

adam277:
In these type of situations its best to let the other driver decide what to do and do all the work.

He’s passed his test. You haven’t. If I was the other driver and saw a vehicle coming towards me with a passenger in hi-viz I’d assume they were on test and do what I could to help.

I’ll let the blunt response pass as I think you misunderstood me.
You just rephrased exactly what I said.
You are right though, I haven’t passed my Cat C+E that was what my instructor taught me during my class 2 training; principle is exactly the same. If you think there is not enough space you should stop and let the other driver decide what to do to get passed you. i.e If he decides to mount the kerb to get passed you its fine, if you have to mount the kerb to get passed him it could be deemed by the instructor as a fail.