Never driven an artic, but I start work on Monday!

Hello all,

I passed my test in 2010 in the army, obtaining my C+E (Class 1) with a drawbar trailer added to my C licence (class 2) vehicle. so I have never driven an articulated Vehicle, except for a bit of shunting in my previous HGV fitter job.

I am competent in connecting the suzzies and lifting axles etc, just not driving on the road. does anyone have any tips?
from watching people reverse i can see that the tractor unit has to move around a lot more to get the trailer to turn e.t.c, And i understand that the trailer is going to cut more of the inside corner. I’m just bricking it because its all new!

I’m going to be tramping out in it too, which is all new to me… any tips are welcome!!

Tip 1.

Army - not army.

Wahhhhhh!

Oh dear! Is this not a wind-up?

tmjns796:
Hello all,

I passed my test in 2010 in the army, obtaining my C+E (Class 1) with a drawbar trailer added to my C licence (class 2) vehicle. so I have never driven an articulated Vehicle, except for a bit of shunting in my previous HGV fitter job.

I am competent in connecting the suzzies and lifting axles etc, just not driving on the road. does anyone have any tips?
from watching people reverse i can see that the tractor unit has to move around a lot more to get the trailer to turn e.t.c, And i understand that the trailer is going to cut more of the inside corner. I’m just bricking it because its all new!

I’m going to be tramping out in it too, which is all new to me… any tips are welcome!!

Welcome

Check the “things I need” threads (there are a few about) but being ex-army, just bring the stuff you would bring on ops minus the weapon and camo cream.

Take your time, exaggerate every move you make (in the vehicle initially, the RDC stories will come with experience) and try and relax.

Remember, all us ex-mechanics are the best drivers. All the best with your new role! :smiley:

My best tip is never employ anyone from the Army :wink:

Seriously, you’re in for a steep learning curve, don’t be afraid to ask for help if you’re not sure about anything and be honest about your lack of experience.

Good luck !

Good luck!

Take it steady, nice and slow when reversing etc, you Might have seen cabs moving about a lot when reversing but that’s coz theyre making a meal out of it! Get it as straight as you can to start off with then slight movements on the wheel to get it moving in the right direction.

Check and double check the security if any load, condition of vehicle, especially if driving agency style.

Stick to the drivers hours, ignorance is no defence. Honest mistakes will (should)be understood.

Best of all enjoy it,especially in this weather keep an eye out for the free leg shows in the traffic :wink:

Boomerang Dave:
Tip 1.

Army - not army.

Wahhhhhh!

lol, good eyes!

cheers for the link!

jkl508:
Good luck!

Best of all enjoy it,especially in this weather keep an eye out for the free leg shows in the traffic :wink:

god bless convertibles :smiley:

I can vouch for the steep learning curve, well, it’s more of a vertical climb.

Just take your time and triple check everything.

Learn ‘BLACK’ and write it on the back of your hand.

Take your time, don’t worry about holding people up. Keep a clear cool head and think about what you’re doing. Get a good map, don’t follow a sat nav blindly, before you turn in, make sure you can get out! IF IN DOUBT, GET OUT.

Good luck!

Denis F:
and be honest about your lack of experience. !

Aye, I’m thinking about how that went at interview.

OP: I’ve never driven an artic before.

Employer: Can you start Monday?
:grimacing:

Crazyness…why not spend some money with a decent trainer for a few days.

tmjns796:

Boomerang Dave:
Tip 1.

Army - not army.

Wahhhhhh!

lol, good eyes!

cheers for the link!

Don’t forget your 24hr Rat Pack and your Hexy, Housewife and Mag to Grid.

Ignore all the negativity.It is not a steep learning curve at all.You have passed your C+E and you have a licence to drive an artic.It is not rocket science and it is just a case of taking your time and asking about anything you are not sure of.
After a couple of weeks you will be fine.Just do not get complacent about anything.
Good luck.

tmjns796:
Hello all,

make sure not to forget to take your dqc card with you its an offence not to carry it at all times

as above no point paying for extra training since you’ll pick it all up in the first hour (why pay when you can get paid to drive one :slight_smile: ) if you need practice reversing ask your boss most are more then happy for you to practice in the yard on your time off. Watch the trailer cut keep watching your mirrors I passed on wagon and drag then went straight onto artics your road position will ■■■■ for 30mins or so but once you’ve done a few roundabouts and traffic lights you’ll be fine

Welcome and Good luck with your new job you will pick it up quite soon and remember we learn from mistakes

It’s a doddle, if a clown like me can do it, anybody can…!

tmjns796:
Hello all,

Yes…stay away from me! :open_mouth:

Doubt they’ll send you out on your own at first if you’ve been honest about your experience… If they do you’ll just have to be ultra careful and remember to take more room than you need at first.

Best of luck.

You’ll be alright as long as you don’t go forwards or backwards.

Rest of it’s a piece of ■■■■.

Don’t drink Shandy Bass while driving :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: