Network Rails's most frequently struck bridges

Just got my copy of AA Trucker’s Atlas. (Excellent)

I noticed that in the section on the inside page “Network Rail most frequently struck bridges”
There are 3 out of the top 13 in Grantham !!! :open_mouth:

Anyone know why they get [zb] so often ■■? :question: After all they don’t seem that low. Certainly not as low as that one in Southport :wink:

:unamused: nice try,jb :laughing:

I would suggest that a very low bridge would tend to get hit less often, because it would be obviously low, and people would be more likely to think “that looks low” before trying to go under it.

I’d suggest that the bridges that are most likely to be hit would be those that:

• Are just under the average trailer height
  • Don’t look as low as they are - a narrow bridge will look taller, whereas a wider bridge will look low.
  • Get lower as you travel underneath - a good example of this is the bridge by Bristol Parkway which is made up of two separate bridges, one arched and one flat, so the height changes half-way through.
  • Are on a route which is likely to attract HGV traffic trying to short-cut the proper route (where there is enough headroom).

Looking at my Truckers’ Atlas, which only has the top 10, there are two in Grantham, and they cover the two main A-road routes from the A52 (East) across to the A1. In fact, all of the A-road routes to the A1 have low bridges on them - only one is relatively high at 15’3". If you avoid all of them, then it’s a huge detour up to Newark or down to Stamford. I guess that it’s people who know that they’ve got to go under a low bridge to get to the A1, but pick the wrong one.

There is a bridge in Swindon, Whitehouse? which gets wacked a fair bit

Grantham is a bit of a pain of a palce for bridges and one in particular that id guess gets hit alot is arched rather than flat so you need to be in the middle of the road when close to the height or else bang!

I used to live near North Walsham in Norfolk. it has 3 rail bridges on main routes, one 13ft, one 13ft 9in the other 16ft but arched. It always used to be the 13ft 9in one that got hit and normally by local drivers who forget when they changed trailers. :blush:

the old iron bridge on the a30 was a favourite for people getting stuck under now though the new dual carriage way bypasses it so it will be struck no more unless you are polish and lost

Firstly they should make a list of all their low bridges and make it available on a website that could identify any near to a certain postcode. Surely it’d be fairly simple, OK so it’s not going to stop the problem but it might stop a few getting hit.

Next they should erect a sacrificial height barrier (RSJ or similar, old railway line) to protect the bridge, If you hit it you’ll still have damaged your motor, commited the same offence etc. But the bridge’s structure is untouched and does not need surveying or repairing.

But that’s just too easy.

also it does not include all bridges its only rail bridges, so there may be worse strike rates on say canal or road bridges?

put in www.granthamjournal.co.uk and then bridges in search and theres a few recent articles on the bridges that keep getting hit

Around the Felixstowe area this week the same driver managed to hit two bridges in the same sitting if you like :laughing: :unamused:

Saw the one on the A36 near Salisbury get hit by a united freight trailer the other week,I think he only just clipped it or was’nt central to the arch but it pushed the top of the trailer back about 6 ft.
also a couple of years ago saw a B&Q trailer hit the bridge in Coulsdon,it peeled the roof off like a tin opener,the whole of the roof off the trailer was draped behind like a piece of tin foil and was still attached to the back