Network Rail Bridge strikes and the Traffic commisoner

According to a document we have all had to read and sign to say we have read it at work.

Network rail have implemented a process that identifies the operator and notifys the traffic commisoner immediately after a bridge strike.

The TC have started to call public enquiries where and operator had been involved in a bridge strike. And driver who have hit bridges are being called to driver conduct hearings and licences suspended for as long as 12 weeks.

About time if it actually is happening.

And why not? It’s rarely just a few mill difference in bridge -v- veh height.

Our gaffer was saying something like this recently as I needed a height stick after mine was nicked for another wagon. Said something like he, as tm has a limited time to inform commissioner of any bridge strike and if police etc inform them before he does it’s big trouble

I went to our regional RHA briefing a few weeks ago and in attendance was our local north east TC. Part of his speech was about this very subject and how it was going to be clamped down on.

Good. Licences should be taken away from those who hit them unless it is one of the very rare circumstances where the bridge height is wrong.

yes we signed to say we have read that document,although most didn’t bother reading it. dhl have had 88 bridge strikes since 2015 :astonished: but at our depot we are being forced to drive deckers on some of our routes… often in to towns,and to suppliers down back streets with plenty of rail bridges about.what could possibly go wrong :laughing:

Poole docks, the old road from Poole docks, normally a 7.5 ton from the ist roundabout towards upton B3068 / Blandford / Dorchester has two arched rail bridges with no signage, after installing a cycle way on the incoming side of the road they moved the centre lines across towards the out going lane forcing the vehicles to their left, this put the vehicles nearer the curve of the arch, one double deck vehicle has already hit the bridge, because the new no height limit lifting bridge was closed for months for repair and the old bridge is signed at 15ft 3 ins, so the lorry came in along the old route via the 7.5 limit and returned the same way, on his approach another lorry was coming in the opposite direction, so he kept within the road markings hitting the bridge, as yet there are still no height signs, also the old lifting bridge marked at 15ft 3ins is fine coming from poole center towards the docks for the first height restriction but as you pass under the second restriction the road drops away raising the rear of the trailer and one vehicle has become stuck, again whilst the no limit bridge was out of order, I cannot seem to get the pictures from google earth to show what I mean but it is clear on google earth.

carryfast-yeti:
dhl have had 88 bridge strikes since 2015

:open_mouth: Wow!, that is just taking the ■■■■.
Wonder how many Stobbies have had.
This is why the rest of the firms drivers get a bad name.
I don’t know any DHL drivers, but I’m sure the majority of those lads will be decent drivers, same with Stobbies, I know a few good lads on there, proper drivers, and they tell me there are many more, but it’s the dregs that they employ that let the side down.

I’ve said before on here, it was always drummed into me when learning about looking for bridges and heights, and those were the days when it was mostly flat trailers.
I even find myself noticing bridge heights when driving my car in strange areas ffs,.what is wrong with some of these f/whits.

Licence suspended, heavy fine, then take another test I would say.
There has to be some deterrent to wake these useless ■■■■ s up.

I have found the one of the trailer getting caught on the old bridge

carryfast-yeti:
dhl have had 88 bridge strikes since 2015

Apparently many are down to drivers not connecting the EBS line…so the trailer suspension is fully-extended.

donbur.co.uk/features/ebs-safe

I asked the boss of Microlise why his mapping system didn’t include low bridges…his reply was that there was no accurate and comprehensive national database of bridge heights, not even from Network Rail. Without this, he could not be confident of supplying accurate route-planning info to drivers.

He also added that analysis of dash-cam footage taken prior to bridge strikes often revealed warning signs were obscured by vegetation or other signs, faded or just not very clear.

hotel magnum:
Poole docks, the old road from Poole docks, normally a 7.5 ton from the ist roundabout towards upton B3068 / Blandford / Dorchester has two arched rail bridges with no signage, after installing a cycle way on the incoming side of the road they moved the centre lines across towards the out going lane forcing the vehicles to their left, this put the vehicles nearer the curve of the arch, one double deck vehicle has already hit the bridge, because the new no height limit lifting bridge was closed for months for repair and the old bridge is signed at 15ft 3 ins, so the lorry came in along the old route via the 7.5 limit and returned the same way, on his approach another lorry was coming in the opposite direction, so he kept within the road markings hitting the bridge, as yet there are still no height signs, also the old lifting bridge marked at 15ft 3ins is fine coming from poole center towards the docks for the first height restriction but as you pass under the second restriction the road drops away raising the rear of the trailer and one vehicle has become stuck, again whilst the no limit bridge was out of order, I cannot seem to get the pictures from google earth to show what I mean but it is clear on google earth.

I know exactly what you mean (well I have lived there for 40 years) :smiley:

a lot has changed there in forty years, all the industry gone, very little fishing, not many big hauliers left, all of the brick chimneys gone now, still we have a never open park and ride, reinforced for the trucks that cannot get on the docks soon, a new bridge that works for a while, and a grand plan to move the railway station again, transport planners eh, I dump them.

simcor:
About time if it actually is happening.

Agreed. It will clamp down on those who think they can just run high trailers as a matter of routine using agency drivers, rather than treating it a bit more like heavy haulage where routes are planned and investigated, and experienced drivers are retained who know specific routes.

The vast majority of high trailers in use are significantly higher than any indivisible load they contain.